Ticks are out.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peakn said:
Had the same experience in that area Shaw, Roberts, Faraway last year.

Ya, as a result, I do not plan to hike in that area again until there's snow on the ground. Not worth the hastle again!

jrichard said:
Has anyone else seen more ticks than usual this spring/early summer?

Sadly, yes... as early as mid-May in Waterville Valley the ticks were abundant. I took my family for a walk on the Old Waterville Road (runs parallel to Rt 49 for several miles of two-track), and by the time we got to our turn around point at the "Old Cemetery", my 9-year-old Eagleeyes said, "Dad, you have a bunch of ticks on your legs!" Quick spate of flicking and slapping ensued, as well as some inside-the-shorts sweeping and rooting just in case. Dad 6, Attached Ticks 0.

We checked everyone carefully back at the car. Another half-dozen passengers, no hook-ups. We've even had a few wandering around our house, apparently tangled in clothing, that took the Big Swim; my mountain-biking buddy had one attach to his scalp last week and we still can't figure out how, as it wasn't there when his wife clipped his hair in the AM, and I picked him up on a paved street a few minutes later.

<Sweeping hands over exposed skin, now crawling at the thought of ticks. Eeww.>

And another thing -- has anyone else noticed how pernicious the no-seeums are in the Southern Whites this year? I have been punctured and itching every evening, sometimes outside, but sometimes they're coming through the screens.

jrichard said:
Has anyone else seen more ticks than usual this spring/early summer?
not here. that's weird, I've just spent maybe a dozen hours in pine barrens habitat in NH in the last several weeks; only picked up 3 ticks in the Ossipee area & 0 in the Concord area, despite bushwhacking for most of the time through grassy blackberry thickets, sitting down in the grass to take pictures, etc.

I think the earlier part of their season was about par for the course, and of late the dryness has kept them down. I speak from "lawn tick" experience, where I've found 1 unattached on myself, and 1 attached to and one running loose on my daughter. My son hasn't reported any, nor has my wife. We check them pretty good too.

This is in Bedford, NH (next town over from arghman in Goffstown)

Tim