Time for New Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guildhall

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm currently using Camp Stalker Crampons, but these are causing far too much slipping and sliding. I'd like to upgrade..

As of now I have pretty basic hiking boots and therefore I'll need the kinds with straps.

So far I'm torn between the G10, Grivel Air Tech:
http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/crampons/27-air_tech?binding=3

and the Black Diamond Contact Strap:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/crampons/serac-crampon

Which of these would give the most traction, yet be comfortable enough for longer hikes?

I'm also wondering if I'll need an extender bar-- do you think they'll fit size 13?

decisions, decisions....

thanks!

hey. i picked up a pair of the aluminum air techs this winter and so far they have been real nice. spikes were a nice length for comfortable walking and were much more comfortable than a pair of g12 crampons i had been using for years. went aluminum as i wanted something light to carry for hikes where crampons would likely get minimal use. you are right to wonder about the extender bar. my winter boot is an 11.5 and they are in the last position and just barely fit. i'd say if you go grivel the extender bar will be pretty mandatory.
take it easy.

bryan

Thanks for the input, Bryan. I think I might grab those Air Techs. About the extender-- whats the difference between the standard long bar and the flex bar? Are both compatible with the crampons? Which do you prefer?

thanks!

I have an old pair of air techs that I use when I don't need better as the points have dulled and one or 2 have snapped off. the lightness is good, but durabilty is compromised.

1. Not all crampons fit all boots
2. Not all crampons come with clear directions on how they should be adjusted or even how they should be put on.

If at all possible, take your boots to the store with you and make the salesperson show you how to adjust the 'pons and put them on.

I picked up the Black Diamond Contacts last month and have had the chance to use them several times and have been very happy with them. Both trips I wore them 6-7 miles +, over mixed terrain, hard ice, and wet snow and they handled both with ease. I would definately recommend getting the extender bar for size 13's though.

I was almost sure I was going wwith petzels, BUT I really like those Grivels, I might reconsider and go with those. The advice to bring your boots to the store and size them for a good fit from a previous poster is sound advice and something Ive made a habit off myself.

I've used the contact straps in the Adirondacks for the past 5 winters, and have been pretty satisfied with them. They don't front point very well, but you can't really expect to front point efficiently in a flexible boot anyways. They've gotten me through about 99% of the on-trail conditions I've encountered that warranted crampon use.