Winter-Fun Expanded!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Perhaps the "newness" for me will eventually wear off, but this winter I'm having a wonderful time by combining Nordic/XC skiing with hiking. It's certainly not my intent to over glamorize, oversell, or make this out to be something that it isn't! But I thought it was worth sharing my experience in case there might be others who might have an interest in considering this as a way to expand their winter fun.

Had it not been for the urging of a member of this Forum (Zman), I might never have become so taken with XC skiing. But having become "infected" with this bug, it has undoubtedly expanded my winter explorations to places that I probably wouldn't visit if I were just doing the same hiking routine as in winters past. For example, I've recently been on XC-skiing adventures that have taken me to places where horses are kept, and to places where folks are ice-fishing. These are things not generally experienced along the traditional hiking trails.

Horses_at_WMRS_2.JPG

Ice_Fishing.jpg

Also, I've strapped my snowshoes on to my pack and skied to a spot to begin a bushwhack. For example, on a recent excursion, I skied along the Presidential Rail Trail to a location near Pine Mountain where I stashed my skis in the woods and then whacked to a pair of un-named ponds a few tenths of a mile off-trail. The ponds themselves didn't provide any "knock your socks-off" views. But nonetheless, I would NEVER have slogged along the Rail Trail in snowshoes to visit this spot!:eek:;) (And as a side-note, I wouldn't ski this trail except during mid-week when snowmobile traffic is extremely light.:))

Presidential Rail Trail
PresiRailTrail.jpg

View from UnNamed Pond (Bushwhack off Presidential Rail Trail)
P1000449.JPG

Besides multi-use trails like the Presidential Rail Trail, I've also had fun skiing on a few conventional hiking trails, even though they could just as easily have been hiked on snowshoes. I'm not skilled enough to attempt trails to 4K peaks like Moosilauke. Therefore, my ski explorations have been on rather tame trails like the Sam Willey Trail opposite the Willey House site in Crawford Notch. I was motivated to do this particular trek by Steve Smith's blog about hiking this trail. I'd never been on this trail before, and was pleasantly surprised with the nice views looking up the Notch toward Mts. Willard and Avalon.

View from Sam Willey Trail
P1000478.JPG

I've also done some off-trail explorations while still on my skis. I know this type of adventure is routine for many folks on this Forum. However, please understand that I'm talking about doing some real "baby steps" into the world of off-trail skiing. If it gets too scary or hairy for my personal comfort level, then I remove my skis and slap on the snowshoes! Possibly as I gain more experience, I'll want to get into some beefier equipment for some "real" off-trail skiing. But for now, I'm pretty happy with my Rossignol BC-90 skis. And, with my rather mild-mannered step-in bindings (Rossignol BC Magnum), I can literally get in/out of my skis faster than I can put on my snowshoes!

Anyway, thus far I've not skied to any overly exciting off-trail destinations. For example, I've skied into beaver ponds that I probably wouldn't have taken the time to do as an off-trail snowshoe trek.

Off-Trail Ski to Beaver Pond
Peek_a_Boo_View_1.JPG

Besides using a trail (like the Presidential Rail Trail) to reach a bushwhack location, and besides doing some itsy-bitsy off-trail skiing, I've also enjoyed skiing along designated XC ski trails, some of which are in a more urban setting than most hiking trails. These urban trails can sometimes provide views that are comparable to those from more remote hiking trails. Yes, you might need to sort of overlook a plowed parking lot, or ignore some electrical wires overhead. But those factors aside, these urbanized trails still provide winter fun, and they have expanded my horizons by getting me to locations that I otherwise would not have visited.

Presi_View_from_WMtn_School.JPG

P1000284.JPG

So, as said at the beginning of this thread, my intent isn't to over glamorize, oversell, or make this out to be something that it isn't!
I merely thought it was worth sharing some of my more recent Nordic/XC-ski experiences, just in case there might be others who might have an interest in considering this as a way to expand their winter fun.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Hi John,

Not sure if you remember me or not. We've exchanged words on the MWObs Forum a few times. I'm glad you shared your recent Nordic/XC-ski experiences. I've been thinking about XC skiing a lot. I've never tried it (I do snowshoe) but think it may be something I will need to try in the near future.

It looks like the trails you've been on are very well suited for the skis...and you're getting great scenery too! Your pictures are phenomenal, as always. Love the Alpine Glow in the second to last one.

Thanks for sharing,
Karl

Yes, yes, yes! Skiing is great in and of itself, and it can enhance hiking in really nice ways, i.e. turn a rolling five-mile approach from a tedious trudge into an exhilarating glide. Well worth adding to the winter travel repertoire.

Thanx for sharing John. As always, gorgeous photo's.
I just recently visited lower Hall Pond, which I had never done
in winter before. Of course, as you indicated, it was due
to being on skis. Great snow conditions for this type of exploration.

Now if you take up ice fishing, you can ski and snowshoe to your favorite pond and we can rename you 1HappyHikeSkiFish ;)

Tim
p.s. Ice fishing is really not my thing. Maybe once every few years.

I'm glad you shared your recent Nordic/XC-ski experiences . . . but think it may be something I will need to try in the near future.
Karl, judging from our exchanges on the MWObs Forum, I'd say you're definitely an outdoor enthusiast! And so, most likely you'd enjoy the Nordic/XC-ski experience. BUT . . . be prepared for an "addiction-affliction"!:D
Yes, yes, yes! Skiing is great in and of itself, and it can enhance hiking in really nice ways, i.e. turn a rolling five-mile approach from a tedious trudge into an exhilarating glide. Well worth adding to the winter travel repertoire.
Yup . . . very well said! And, you might have nailed it with your words "exhilarating glide". I've been trying to pin down what makes skiing so appealing, and now that you mention it, the "exhilarating glide" is definitely a major component to the appeal.
Welcome to the addiction...nice photos!
Yes . . . it's certainly an "addiction". Any tips as to how to deal with the pain of "withdrawal" once the warm weather returns?!:confused::)
Thanx for sharing John. As always, gorgeous photo's.
I just recently visited lower Hall Pond, which I had never done in winter before. Of course, as you indicated, it was due to being on skis.
Thanks Cath for your response, and thanks for sharing your experience with skiing into Lower Hall Pond. Don't know if I'll attempt that this winter, but your mention of having done that set off a chain reaction in my mind of other similar things to try!;):)
Now if you take up ice fishing, you can ski and snowshoe to your favorite pond and we can rename you 1HappyHikeSkiFish ;)
Hmmm! No disrespect to anyone who enjoys ice-fishing, but I don't ever foresee the day when I'd take up ice-fishing. There's probably more to it, but I can't get excited about standing around a hole in the ice!:eek: So Tim, I don't think I'll become 1HappyHikeSkiFish . . . but 1HappyHikeSki has a certain ring to it!:rolleyes:

Perhaps the "newness" for me will eventually wear off, but this winter I'm having a wonderful time by combining Nordic/XC skiing with hiking.
Or you can take the next step and leave the snowshoes and crampons behind...

When XC BC skiing, I tend to be less goal (eg summit) oriented and more journey (the skiing itself is the fun) oriented.

Doug

When XC BC skiing, I tend to be less goal (eg summit) oriented and more journey (the skiing itself is the fun) oriented.
Thanks Doug! Your response makes me feel a little less weird! I was recently skiing off-trail and there was nothing to see other than the surrounding woods. Even though I thought it might be sort of weird, I was having a great time! So, just as you indicated, the skiing itself was "the fun"!:)
1HappyHiker said:
Yes . . . it's certainly an "addiction". Any tips as to how to deal with the pain of "withdrawal" once the warm weather returns?!:confused::)
You could take up cycling :rolleyes:(that's how I started XC skiing -- when there was too much snow to ride.)
Thanks Tim . . . good to know there is a non-pharmaceutical alternative!:rolleyes::D

Thanks Doug! Your response makes me feel a little less weird! I was recently skiing off-trail and there was nothing to see other than the surrounding woods. Even though I thought it might be sort of weird, I was having a great time! So, just as you indicated, the skiing itself was "the fun"!:)
Weird? Nothing weird about it. People have been skiing for at least 6000 years. Take a look at a website such as http://www.telemarktips.com--many posters there are every bit obsessed with skiing as many posters here are with list bagging.

In the past ~10 years I've been skiing more and (winter) hiking less.
FWIW, I've been out XC skiing 7 times this season--3 times within walking distance, 3 times in a neighboring town, and once 1 hr drive away. Planning on ~10mi tomorrow. No summits...

Re Tim:
Some of us view cycling as something to be done when the snow conditions are lousy... :)

Anyhoo, glad you are enjoying it--I've had a ball XC, BC, and Tele skiing. (Been doing XC and BC for ~35 years now...)

Doug

Last edited:
John,
Now we know where you've been lately....When we originally started winter vacationing in the White Mountains, the first few years, we were strictly into cross country skiing. Once we hiked up to the bowl in Tuckerman's Ravine we were bitten by the winter hiking/snowshoeing bug. I think your report may have inspired us to get back into some cc skiing now.

Donna:)

Last edited:
Take a look at a website such as http://www.telemarktips.com--many posters there are every bit obsessed with skiing as many posters here are with list bagging.
Thanks for the link!
--many posters there are every bit obsessed with skiing as many posters here are with list bagging.
Yup! You're right about that!:)
Now we know where you've been lately....When we originally started winter vacationing in the White Mountains, the first few years, we were strictly into cross country skiing . . . I think your report may have inspired us to get back into some cc skiing . . .
Hmmm! Sounds like you went through a successful "withdrawal" from this addictive activity. Are you certain that you want to undergo the risk of a relapse?;):D

Hmmm! Sounds like you went through a successful "withdrawal" from this addictive activity. Are you certain that you want to undergo the risk of a relapse?;):D
Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.

I used to ice climb, (winter) hike, and ski. Every weekend, I looked at the conditions, available partners, etc, and chose which to do. Ski and ice conditions can change rapidly and good skiing snow tended to be rarest. So if skiing conditions were good I'd usually ski, otherwise I'd climb or hike. Some years had lots of good skiing snow, some had good ice, and one could hike in a wide range of conditions.

IMO, it is more important that one gets out and does something than exactly what one does...

Doug

Very nice report and pictures as always!
I'm very much a cross-country skier, both track skiing and also back country with a little bit of Telemarking thrown in.
I still hike/snowshoe the peaks of course, but to me, snow is slippery and deserves to be slidden upon. :D