TNF Venture jacket

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soco7tyx7

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the North Face Venture jacket? it fits my price range nicely and seems to be just as good as those double the price. i'd be using it mostly for 3-season use, but plan to do some light winter hiking as well. thought it might layer well and provide decent protection. any thoughts? thanks in advance.

-Jon

Hi Jon, I've had one for two years now and as it's great for the money as a simple shell, it's not as breathable as Gore or of course soft shell.

I would never use it for anything more than running to the store in a rain storm and i just bought it for that reason. as It doesn't breath well. If your just keeping it in your pack for safety then go for it.

From what I understand, this precip shell by marmot is the same price ($100 range) and more breathable and lighter

http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=34&style_id=G5491

Hope this helps

I have a Venture Strider jacket, which is a little different than the regular Venture (it has a stowable hood and is a little heavier) and also have the Marmot Precip. I would go with the Marmot for its weight (very light) for rain, but I use the Venture Strider for cooler temps (early Spring or late Fall). I'm not sure if TNF still makes the Venture Strider, and it was a little more expensive at about $150.
If you put the regular Venture and the Marmot Precip head to head, I would go with the Marmot for all around use.

KevCon223 said:
I have a Venture Strider jacket, which is a little different than the regular Venture (it has a stowable hood and is a little heavier) and also have the Marmot Precip. I would go with the Marmot for its weight (very light) for rain, but I use the Venture Strider for cooler temps (early Spring or late Fall). I'm not sure if TNF still makes the Venture Strider, and it was a little more expensive at about $150.
If you put the regular Venture and the Marmot Precip head to head, I would go with the Marmot for all around use.

ohh yea - go for the marmot anyday!! FWIW - I have the precip pants and my buddy has the jacket - and they get used in winter in all but the windiest days. awesome product

the precip/oracle were 2 that i was also looking at and now i just might have to buy one. thanks!

-Jon