To resole or not to resole, that is the question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
The thread about how often you replace your boots had me thinking about my boots. I have a pair of full leather Asolos that I've been beating on for the past 4.5yrs and now the soles are getting kinda flat. I'm really not getting the grip I need from them.

Here's my question, since they fit well and there aren't really any other issues (other than a chipping toe cap and a rusting lace hook or two), would I be better off having my boots resoled or am I better off just getting new boots? Is resoling worth the investment?

I had a pair of Raichle's that I resoled 3 or 4 times before they were retired. If the uppers are in good shape and you like the boots, I'd get them re-soled. But then again, I'm what my daughter calls "frugal"... ;)

I don't have any experience with hiking boots, but I've resoled dress shoes. I would always go for resoling if possible. It's inexpensive and you end up with a boot that's like new but already broken in. It's also a form of recycling which is good.

I am unfamiliar with your Asolos, but I do know that it is almost impossible to resole glued on soles. I've resoled to get a different sole but not from the sole being worn down.

I resoled some Vasque Sundowners twice before the shank finally broke down. (I think a good shank is necessary for the long term health of feet when long distances over rough terrain with additional weight is considered.) It saved money over a new pair and restored the traction to an otherwise good pair of boots. These boots are now nearly 15 years old and have been semi-retired to house painting projects.

The watertight integrity of the boots was maintained but I'd recommend checking with the manufacturer or dealer before engaging a cobbler or shoemaker to resole ... but keep in mind, thay may prefer to sell you some new boots.

Last edited:
In general, I resole my boots.

Getting decent uppers that fit your foot and performance needs is no small task. Also, why toss decent uppers in the bin when there is still miles left in them.

Classic norwegian welted boots are the most commonly to be resoled but there are cobblers out there that do have the equipmented needed to resole glued on, injected welted soles. I would contact the manufacturer and stick with a cobbler who specialized in hiking boots.

2 Notes....
1) I've had some boots come back better than new. In particular, my old Merrill Wildernesses had the lousy foam rubber midsoles replaced with stiffer leather ones.
2) I've had some boots change in terms of length. They got a bit shorter.

I would suggest this is a good time to communicate clearly and fully about what you like and dislike about your boots with the cobbler.

A resoling job has no guarantees you’ll get back what you once had. Just because the boots fit great now doesn’t mean they’ll have the same fit later.

I’ve been disappointed more than once in resoling jobs that didn’t turn out well. I’m not a cobbler and can’t say what may have happened. I only know there have been several attempts at saving pairs of boots that I really liked ending in failure (aka expensive trash).

I know of one other case (a close friend) where her Limmer boots fit great but the soles were worn out. They were returned to the factory for resoling. They came back with a very different fit. The boots now cause blisters when they never did previously. For sentimental reasons, she’ll wear them for a few more hikes while finishing her 48. I think she has already started to think about the replacements.

My suggestion – I assume these are the boots you were wearing on Carrigain when you finished the 48. Have them bronzed and display them along with your other hiking “trophies”. :) Then, introduce yourself to a new pair of boots.

Earl

Cobblers in the Boston area?

Are there any good cobblers in the Boston area for resoling boots? One of my Merrells is losing its sole.

On the Limmers, I'd encourage your friend to get in touch with the folks at the shop. In my experience, they are more than willing to go an extra mile or two. They take great pride in their craftsmanship and would probably do whatever is necessary to resolve the problem.

I have had a few sets of boots resoled, until my cobbler passed away, and never had the structure of the boot change. There is usually a base layer of sole still on the boot, and the new sole it attached to it, so I don't see why or how it could change...unless I'm missing something.

Lawn Sale said:
I have had a few sets of boots resoled, until my cobbler passed away, and never had the structure of the boot change. There is usually a base layer of sole still on the boot, and the new sole it attached to it, so I don't see why or how it could change...unless I'm missing something.
I had some norwegian welt boots resoled and they "shrunk". The innersole was worn which presumably allowed the boot to change shape and the cobbler double stitched the welt which might have also reduced the volume.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I had some norwegian welt boots resoled and they "shrunk". The innersole was worn which presumably allowed the boot to change shape and the cobbler double stitched the welt which might have also reduced the volume.
Doug

Been there, done that also. One of my Raichles lost something less than a half size; I could still wear it but not with the same socks.

Despite that experience, I still buy Norwegian-welted boots, with the expectation of having them resoled down the line. This is the reason I haven't bought any glued-on boots for the mountains, even though the fit on some of them I tried was pretty nice. If someone actually has a good reference for a cobbler who shines ("Oops, I did it again") at resoling the glued-on, I'd be interested to hear.