Top 25 "Scenic Hikes" in New England?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I'm working on a list of the top 25 "most scenic hikes" in New England. I know everybody has their favorites, but which hikes in New England are generally accepted as being cream-of-the-crop?

TOP 25 SCENIC HIKES

Did I miss any? Should any from the runners up list be promoted or swapped with something in my top 25?

Thanks!

- roadtripper

Last edited:
Backpacker magazine selected the view from Zeacliff as being the best in New Hampshire, and I think that the climb up Hamlin Peak is way more scenic than the hike to Arethusa Falls. There’s no comparison. And Maine’s Angel Falls is probably more attractive than Arethusa Falls, too.

I haven’t done all the hikes on either half of your list, but the Precipice Trail up Champlain probably should be moved up. Cadillac could be moved down. South and North Bubble and Conners Nubble is one of my favorite Acadia hikes.

I recently was on Liberty and Flume twice in eight days so I’m a little biased toward them right now. Greylock could go. Eisenhower isn’t particularly special either, is it? I think I would have come up with a lot of other hikes before including it. I don’t even remember Carter Dome as having a view. Weren’t the trees all grown up around the summit? The ridge near Middle Carter had lots of views, though. At least, I think it did. I’ve only done the Carters the one time so far, so maybe I’m misremembering.

North Tripyramid Slide? Tom and Atticus’s favorite, Hedgehog? The Moats? Red Ridge?

I don’t even remember Carter Dome as having a view. Weren’t the trees all grown up around the summit? The ridge near Middle Carter had lots of views, though. At least, I think it did. I’ve only done the Carters the one time so far, so maybe I’m misremembering.

He lists it as •Mount Hight / Carter Dome. Mount Hight is the 1st listed has amazing view to the Presi's, other Carters, and Baldface ranges. Carter Dome has a few limited views in the summer, but Hight is amazing in all seasons. I wish that webshots was still up so I could link some images.

The views from Monadnock are amazing in there length of view, but there really isn't a lot of amazing things to view from the summit. Lots of towns and hills, the whites and Bostons skylines are distant and rare Views. I'd put Tumbledown above Monandnock.

I'll vote for moving Hight to the top 25 list and bumping either Monadnock or Moosilauke to the runnerup list.

View from summit of Hight

IMG_2053e-L.jpg

To me, Mt. Greylock is the odd duck on the list. While nice, it can't hold a candle to a majority of those on the runner up list view-wise.

Add the traffic of the road(s) and it isn't very pleasurable to sit atop.

To me, a "hike" is usually more than one peak. If I limit myself to one-day hikes (easier than pemi loop), my list includes:

Katahdin traverse
Presidential traverse
Mt Mansfield traverse
Traveler loop
Lincoln-lafayette loop
Bonds
Baldface circle loop
Abraham (maine)
chocorua -sisters loop
welch-dickey loop

Maybe some stuff I haven't done yet, like the Owl (Baxter), Doubletop, Bigelows, something in Acadia.

Basically, the obvious above-treeline ridges, plus the cream of the 52 with a View and comparable peaks outside NH.
I don't think Greylock would hit the top 25, but Monadnock might (via Pumpelly trail, for views and quiet).

Mount Tom on the Holyoke/Easthampton line in Mass is short of stature but splendid of view. Topping out at 1202', with almost 1000' of prominence, it yields long views across MA into CT and VT and nice views of Monadnock from certain spots, plus views along its extraordinary two-mile-long cliff wall and down from its top. Heublein Tower atop Talcott Mountain in Connecticut - only 954' at its summit but Hartford County's most prominent peak is an easy, short hike that when open, between Memorial Day and early November, affords a commanding 360 degree view from its obs deck 125' above ground level, the best outlook in Connecticut, imo. The hikes up to it, especially from the north, are beautiful, to boot, with a mile-long cliff wall of its own like its cousin to the north. Both these Metacomet Ridge peaks could be included among the runners-up. West Peak in Meriden and Mount Higby in Middlefield/Middletown are gorgeous, too, and relatively easy.

As for Bear Mountain, CT, I love it, but it could be removed in favor of Mount Race/Race Brook Falls next door - both aren't needed, Race takes in the Catskills as does Bear, Race's cliffs afford a more dramatic view and hike, and Race can see Greylock, where Bear cannot. That being said, the view of Race, Everett and the Twin Lakes from Bear's rockpile is dramatic and beautiful. I've hiked it eight or nine times, so I may be under-rating it simply due to being accustomed to it.

Note to those yet to hike Bear: be sure to visit the true summit, as well, about 150 feet WNW of the rock pile - it offers better views to Frissell, Ashley, Gridley, the Braces and the Catskills to the NW, plus you can properly bag the peak, a few feet higher than the grounds near the big cairn.

PS: As re Mt. Eisenhower, I agree it offers gorgeous views, especially from its flanks. I can compare it only to a limited data set, as well, but I can only say it was gorgeous - hiked it on the summer solstice this year, a beautiful day, and got extraordinary views of the Presidentials. Definitely a favorite.

Last edited:
IMO, Mt Crawford has to be in the top 25.
P9130032.JPG

P9130043.JPG

Kicks the crap out of Willard.

The Percy's come to mind as well.

roadtripper, I would think that 'most scenic hikes' would have to include the trail(s), otherwise it seems like it would be a 'best views/peaks' list. Eisenhower has really awesome views, but the Edmunds path, while an excellent trail, is not especially scenic. Whereas Mt Tremont's summit doesn't command the same views (although it could easily be a runner up with Owl's Cliff), the trail following the cascades down below is truly special when the water is running.

Last edited:
To me, Mt. Greylock is the odd duck on the list. While nice, it can't hold a candle to a majority of those on the runner up list view-wise.

What Greylock has that more northerly peaks lack is a great view of the Catskills on clear day. One of the few peaks from which you get a good view of them, plus the southern Greens, and, as I can attest from two visits, on really clear days, the Adirondacks and the Whites. Like Mount Washington, Greylock is crowded up top for good reason - the views of its range are beautiful, too - Saddleball, Prospect across the Hopper, Williams, Fitch and Ragged Mountain, down into the town of Adams below. I think a strong argument can be made for including it owing to its relative prominence and unique vantage point.

I don't know how specific you want to get. While some of them on your list are combined like Saddleback/Horn and Sargent/Penobscot, there are others that can be combined such as Adams/Madison/Jefferson and Katahdin/Hamlin. I would put on specific hikes... You did this with Franconia Loop and Gulf Hagas. Hamlin Ridge-Katahdin-Knife Edge loop would be on my list much higher than say Abol approach to Katahdin. King Ravine or Airline, much higher ranking than Valley Way.

I agree that Cadillac isn't the best in Acadia, although it is nice. I would put a loop of Sargent/Penobscot/Pemetic or Sargent/Penobscot/Bald/Gilmore/Parkman on as top Acadia hike both are not too long with lots of open summits. Precipice maybe 2nd.

It's been a long time since I have been on Bear CT or Greylock, but while nice I don't know if they are list worthy unless you are just trying to represent those states.

Good list in general. Only a few I haven't hiked and a couple that it's been a long time.

I'll focus on Vermont, since that's my stomping grounds. I think your list hits the perennial favorites, but I would add my own personal favorite peak: Burnt Rock Mt. The views from that mountain never fails to blow my mind.

Sugar650_zpsdc183a60.jpg

View looking South from Burnt Rock Mt, Vermont on March 6, 2013

bunrtrockandout650_zps4c6825bf.jpg

View looking North from Burnt Rock Mt, Vermont on March 6, 2013

I will restate what some others have said, the OP's list is a list of mountains or peaks and one waterfall, not hikes. For example my favorite hikes in the northeast are a trap dike ascent with east slide descent of Mt Colden in NY, and an ascent of Mt Washington via Huntington Ravine and Boot Spur descent. Gothics-Pyramid traverse in the ADKs. Ditto for Mt Adams ascent via King Ravine with Howker Ridge descent, and ofcourse the classic Franconia Ridge ascent of the Falling waters trail and Bridal path descent (crowded for good reason). Mt Mansfield ascent via Sunset Ridge trail, traverse, and descend Maple Ridge trial, parking at Stevensville TH. Grey J, stop and look up once in a while :D.

Last edited:
I don't know I'm pretty blown away from almost everything I've hiked of the 48's in NH. from a view or outlook perspective. Wife and I just did Whiteface and Passaconaway both had breathtaking outlooks and the ridge hike between the 2 with all the short pines and flouresent moss was Thomas Kinkade like, pretty damn awesome!!!!

I'll focus on Vermont, since that's my stomping grounds. I think your list hits the perennial favorites, but I would add my own personal favorite peak: Burnt Rock Mt. The views from that mountain never fails to blow my mind.

Sugar650_zpsdc183a60.jpg

View looking South from Burnt Rock Mt, Vermont on March 6, 2013

Is that Sugarbush North and Mad River in the distance?

Scenic hikes? Hadn't really noticed since I'm mostly looking down at those roots and rocks so I don't face plant.

#1 reason to take up snowshoeing (if you haven't already).

It's not a 4K footer or in the WMNF but Mount Magalloway way up in Pittsburg is one of my favorites.