vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Anyone here use the National Geographic Topo State Series (like for the NE)? I have some of the regional series (Catskills, Adirondacks, etc...) but entire states. Same stuff, right? Looks like there are some additional features like shaded relief - thats cool.
Just wondering what you thought.

A few years ago I bought Topo regional software for the Carskills and the ADK's. I
think that it was put out by Wildflower software. I recently got the national
geographic software for handhelds. It requires the state versions to work effectively.
It recognized the older regional software when installed in the same directory. It
added many new menu options but it was unable to open the regional files even after
attempting to convert them.

Trying to open the old regional maps from the new software did not work, but double clcking on the regional regions to open them works, with new options appearing in the menu.

I emailed the company I was told that the regional software was not compatible with
the handheld versions, that I would need the State.

The maps are in different file formats. But then my regional software is probably the
original versions.

Drop the company an email. I got a quick response from them.

I've been using the TOPO NE regional maps after using the state series. I haven't yet tried to use the old state maps with this version, but I will need to at some point (PA is not included in the NE regional set).

The shading in three levels is nice and can help those who invert topo lines. The one new feature of real help is the addition of a magnify command that is separate from the scaling. It helps a lot when setting a map up for printing or trying to get an overview while still maintaining a large degree of detail.

The program itself is still clumsy to use and sluggish. I'm using the Mac version.

I’ve been looking into getting the NE series (funny I was going to start a thread with questions about this software, now I don’t have too). I currently have the Adirondack region and have been happy with it.

My question is, what are the contour intervals on the NE program? I have used other similar programs that cover the NE but they only had 50’ intervals, which wasn’t that useful to me.

IC,
I purchased the Nat. Geo. Topo Series for the NE ($99) last year when I purchased my GPS.

Before that I had used the Nat Geo. National Park Series (Very nice) as well as the Topo sampler of the High Peaks ('Daks).

I am very impressed with the Nat Geo series - It even includes some of the the eastern and northern sections of PA (which is helpful to me) along the NY & NJ border. I find it helpful in mapping routes and up/downloading waypoints.

The shading is great & the detail is phenominal. It appears they scanned 1:24K USGS topos to make it.

FWIW, I also use Garmin Topo for downloading basemaps to my GPS. In comparison, the Garmin Topo looks like "etch-a-sketch" after working with Nat Geo. (sorry 'etch-a-sketch")

I honestly thought the $99 was worth it especially since it includes so many states - And 6 months later, I am glad I bought it.

Last edited:
Same here. I'm generally satisfyed with the NG TOPO NE package. Many useful features; including search, route planning, profiles. The downside is that they "seamlessly" join USGS 1:24000 quads so you end up with various contour intervals, including some metric. The functions will convert distance and elevation to your choice but when viewing the maps it can get a bit exasperating when half the screen is in feet and the other half in meters.

Metric and English on the same map, hey? That does kinda suck. But at least the contour intervals are pretty small, right? 20 feet, 5-10meters?

IndianChris,

I have had National Geographic's Northeastern USA vertion for three years now. I got very used to the USGS topo maps in Boy Scouts and love having so many available on my computer.

The land detail is as good as maps get. Also, I have shared routes and GPS tracks with other hikers many times. Someone in our group usually has a GPS and they will share a log of the trip with anyone that wants it. There are three of us in the group with the Northeastern USA version.

As far as the maps go, they are actual scans of the USGS topographic maps. Not a reproduction of the same data. So if there is a 7.5 minute map that was never updated, the map in the software hasn't been updated. Roads change, buildings and man-made landmarks come and go, but the mountains, plains, and rivers stick around for a long time.

If you are looking for mapping software to use in conjunction with hiking or planning hiking trips then I would definitely recommend the National Geographic TOPO! series. A great product, and a reasonable price. The software cost a third of what I would have bought in paper maps by now.

I have both the older regional series and the newer northeast series, and there is a way to open data from one series into the other. If they are both installed in your computer, you open one into say the northeast CD, and then merge in the tracks or waypoints from the NYC CD.

I also have Terrain Navigator from Maptech and each program has its good points and bad points. I find it easier to create and store customized maps in TOPO, on the other hand, I find the map printed out on Terrain Navigator is clearer, especially when magnified. There is a new version called Terrain Navigator Pro that we are using in Search and Rescue management, which is clearly superior, but much more expensive. One thing TOPO can still do that is better is automatically print out maps that tile together, when you want a map bigger than your printer capacity.

One thing that I have found, that frankly surprised me, is that neither program has the latest versions of the USGS quads that were put out in the 1990s. We were doing searches in newly developed regions in New Jersey and our newer USGS maps showed more of the new roads and construction, than either of our digital mapping programs. Neither of these programs show the new part of I-287 in NJ for example, which has been around for 12 years, but almost all of the USGS quads do, with the exception of Sloatsburg, NY, which has not been updated.

I lilke it to. I have other programs to cover what NGTopo can't do.

For $99.00 it's worth the money. I tried playing with the demo version of MapTech Terrain Nav. but coundn't see it was as nice. It is Raster scanned NGTopo that is, which is actual scanning vs Vector type which is digtal copying of some type and will allow layers of info to be put down easily.

Anyway , DeLorme is coming out with a new one next month. I'm interested in seeing what that's like.

The trouble with all of these Topo's is the trails are out of date. Usually below summit and ridge line only. I record every hike and save the track to Topo and compare. The charts are all different dates going way back on some of them.

I wish the AMC would get togeter with them and come up with corrected data for trails so we could plot accurately. And keep it updated. I'd pay whatever to get it.

I have the Topo program and maps for California and the Northeast.

I find the program one of the most frustrating I've ever used. The user interface is abysmal, with basic tasks seemingly impossible to perform (though it turns out that some are supposedly available through clicking with modifier keys, in fact many of those don't seem to work on the Mac version).

That said, it's pretty much the only game in town, and once you learn to work around its quirks, it's somewhat usable.

At least the maps are generally high quality, and it successfully transfers routes and waypoints to a GPS, even on the Mac.

- Steve

Delorme released Topo USA v5.0 today. I eMailed them last week and this is what they said
Topo USA 5.0 is based on the USGS maps. It is a 1:24,000 scale with all of the updated streets and trail data across the country. There will be downloadable campground information from our website as well as $50 worth of ADP data. The program is offered for $59.95 for the entire
USA.

I've not been able to verify the price, as Delorme has it listed for $99.95 on their site.

If I can get it for $59.95, I'll give it a try. I like the Delorme interface, and being able to add my own routes easily is a feature I know I want. Otherwise, I'm getting the TOPO! Northeast software.

I've been a DeLorme customer for quite a while (Street Atlas USA since v5, Topo USA since v2) so I get a discount on upgrades and will definitely be getting Topo USA 5, so I'll be happy to add my opinions on it to this thread as soon as it arrives.

And that doesn't mean I've been a satisfied customer - the lack of accurcy of their digital terrain has often been frustrating. But the GPS compatibility (with my Garmin eTrex) has always been excellent and easy to use (to set approximate points ahead of time in case of emergency, and to look at tracks afterward for fun).