Touching the Void 11/21/04 WGBH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Couldn't find the earlier thread on this. Just a reminder WGBH, channel 44 from Boston is airing this Sunday, November 21, at 9 pm. Get those VCR's programmed!

http://www.wgbh.org/program-info?program_id=1900670

Schedule from their site:
Sun, Nov 21, 9pm, WGBH 44
Mon, Nov 22, 1am, WGBH 44
Mon, Nov 22, 4am, WGBH 2
Mon, Nov 22, 4am, WGBH 44

WGBH channels only on Comcast
Mon, Nov 22, 6pm, WGBH World (209)
Mon, Nov 22, 8:30pm, WGBH World (209)
Tue, Nov 23, 2am, WGBH World (209)
Tue, Nov 23, 9am, WGBH World (209)

For those in the NYC area, WNET (channel 13) is showing Touching the Void at 9pm-10:30pm on Sunday, Nov 21st. it looks like they are just showing the movie with no extras.

Here is the list of airings and rebroadcasts:

WNET.ORG

Jay

Awesome, awesome, awesome movie!! My kids gave me the DVD for Father's Day this year. Even my non-mountain climbing father enjoyed it (we watched it during a midwest State Highpointing trip in August). I agree that the extras make it worth the buy even if you saw the film when it was in theaters. Of course, to really appreciate the story, the book is a must-read.

Likewise, thanks, even though I'm beyond the reach of both broadcast and cable tv and have to use satellite. It did go through the theatres here in late August but too many visiting family and houseguests conflicted. I ordered a DVD copy from amazon per someone's earlier suggestion (thanks for that too) on this thread and can't wait to see it.

Amazing film!

How many miles and how much elevation did Simpson traverse after exiting the crevasse?

^MtnMike^

I saw it again last night. Awesome.

Anyone else notice there was some editing for TV as compared to the original: on the TV vesion shown last night, when Joe was in the cravasse and banging his fist against the ice he was screaming "Stupid, stupid, stupid ...", in the film shown in theaters he was screaming "F**k, f**k, f**k, ...". A bit of self censorship that amused me.

Pb

Saw it last night, too. Brilliantly done and overwhelming trying to imagine all the thoughts that must have went thru Joe's mind.

Haven't read the book yet, but I'm wondering ...... did they both recover 100%? The movie said Joe was back to climbing 2 years later, but did both of them manage to keep all their fingertips? The frostbite semmed pretty serious.

Not that it really makes a difference, but in the original, it's three "stupids" followed by three "f***s." I'm guessing they just edited out the f-bombs.

Also, i12climbup, Joe recovered 100-percent and has gone on to write five outstanding mountaineering books on his adventures. He is something of a Mr. Magoo type with many other close calls to his credit, including a 600-foot fall on Panchero. He really has no business still being alive.

Bloody hell.

Last edited:
Excellent movie. It was what I expected after reading the book.
Rushed home from tromping around in the snow in the mountains-to watch a show about tromping throught the snow in the mountains. Ya gotta love this stuff!!

Joe Simpsons second book (at work now and I forget the name) covers his recovery and his life times worth of should have been killed experiences.

This second book of his, while not as gripping as Touching the Void is one of his better ones and deals with his internal struggle over why he wasn't dead, yet so many of his friends were.

Recommended.

I thought the movie ended rather abruptly after Joe got back to base camp. Is the dvd ending any different?

Interestingly, I read this book when I was at home recouping from a broken leg. I had to be med-evacked off Mt Mansfield after falling 18 ft off a cliff, crawling back up, and only managing to crawl about another 50 yards down the trail. Boy did I feel like a wimp after reading what he did to get out :p

I'll have to read a few of his other books.

Nadine

Loved the part of the movie about having a song running through his head while he was so exhausted and dehydrated. Reminded me of thinking about strange songs while thru hiking that I never would think of normally while being very tired and hungry..

Grizzly

I probably would have crawled back to camp like he did, if anything hapened to me on my thru hike.

I watched it as well. Kind of brings new meaning to the term "penalty slack". Makes me want to frisk my belayer for a knife next time I'm in the gym. I couldn't believe the drive Joe had -- I have trouble continuing on when I get a hang nail or blister...