Touching the Void - Portsmouth, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBear

Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, Touching the Void will be playing at the Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH beginning Saturday, March 20 through Wednesday, March 24. Showtime is at 7 p.m. except on Saturday when there will be two shows - 7 and 9 p.m.

There will be a discussion hosted by Paul Goodwin immediatley following the Tuesday 3/23 screening. The Music Hall bills the discussion series as follows: "We invite you to be a part of The Music Hall's Film Discussion Series, a chance for film novices and veterans alike to participate in stimulating conversation about the featured movie. Our distinguished hosts will guide you through lively and in-depth explorations of everything from the background, theme and critical reception of a film to the latest gossip about its stars. These discussions are free to the public and always immediately follow the associated film screening."

I am planning on attending the Tuesday show (even though I have already seen the movie - I want to see it again). So, if anyone is interested in joining me, I was kind of thinking we could meet at Muddy River Smokehouse (on Congress Street in Portsmouth, within walking distance to the Music Hall) around 5:30 for some beer and a bite to eat, then head on over to the Music Hall.

Let me know if anyone wants to join me.

Sounds like a good time, I'll be there. Probably won't get out there until about 6, though, as I have to drive over from Concord. Muddy River rocks!

Hi Chris,

I have my tickets for the Tuesday show and will see you at the Muddy between 5:30 and 6.

Can't wait!

cb

Cancel

Well, I have to bail out of this trip, unfortunately. I have to work up in Bartlett on Tuesday, so I won't be back in time for the movie. Have a great time, everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not positive, but I believe the admission is $7 or $8. Best bet for parking is the parking garage on Hanover Street, but on a Tuesday evening, you might get lucky with on street parking, either on Pleasant, Congress, Market, or State Streets - parking meters are only in effect until 6pm. The parking garage charges $.50 per hour. All are within a very short walk to Muddy River and the Music Hall.

Here's info on parking locations: http://www.cityofportsmouth.com/Transportation/downpark.htm

Parking - Bank lot next to the theatre is where the locals often find a spot.

Also, we probably will not make it to the Muddy in time, so I hope to see some of you at the Music Hall.

And you can't go wrong with the pulled pork sandwich!

cb

Glad to see all of you who showed up. I know it's hard to get out on a weeknight.

I have to tell you, this was my second time seeing this movie and it seemed more excrutiating to watch than the first time. (Maybe 'cause I knew what was going to happen.) I was also struck with how well the film was put together and how the cinematography was incredible. I really paid attention to the details of the film this time - the use of close camera shots as well as the use of distance shots. I noticed the sound more this time - like when Joe was dehydrated and negotiating his way down the moraine and he could hear all this water dripping and rushing by but couldn't get to it. Really well done.

I'm glad I stayed for the discussion afterwards, although it wasn't exactly what I had expected - but then again, I'm not sure what I expected. But still, it was interesting - if not cut just a little bit short.

For anyone who wants to learn more about how the movie was made, check out this short video: Making of Touching the Void

That was an incredible movie. I can't even imagine being in that situation, let along surviving it.

The forum following was interesting... Chris, I agree with you, not quite what I expected... and really don't know what I expected.

If you enjoyed the movie, you would like Simpson's book, The Beckoning Silence, 2003, Winner of the National Outdoor Book Award. He writes modestly about what pulls climbers to the beauty and dangers of the mountains, even though almost annually friends are lost. He discusses the influence of Mallory and others of the "old-timers". Much of the story describes his own daring attempt to climb the Northface of the Eiger, and a dramatic chance meeting with Simon. In Touching the Void, Simpson does not write much about the extent of his injuries, and in "Beckoning", I recall only one reference.
"After six operations on my smashed knee the doctors told me that I would never walk without a limp and most certainly never climb again. I ignored them and after years of physiotherapy.....I managed to get considerably more flexion. It forced me to become a better climber....consequently became technically superior. Years of using crutches had increased my upper body strength and....I could climb at grades far higher than I had ever attained before." (p.154)