Touring Kayaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hauling a kayak

darren said:

Anyone else have experience with hauling a yak though the woods?

- darren
I paddle with an ADK group based in Glens Falls. Last summer a dozen of us did the portage between Raquette and Utowana Lakes (about 1/2 mile). We used several types of wheels. By far the best on the trail was the PaddleBoy (available from LLBean). The others were useless.
bob m.

I'm building my own kayak cart using 20" wheels from an old Schwinn I found behind where i work.. (It had a banana seat and was spray painted all gold.. I mean entirely all gold, including the reflectors, the seat, the grips, the spokes AND even the sidewalls of the tire... Somebody must of really wanted a gold bike.

Anyway, I've got the wheels, so all I'll need to do is make the wooden crossmember and get some straps and I'll have my own free kayak cart. I see no need to spend $60-$130 on a kart when I can make one myself. With 20" wheels it should go over everything, including other kayaks... :D

jay

Carts

Jay H said:

Anyway, I've got the wheels, so all I'll need to do is make the wooden crossmember and get some straps and I'll have my own free kayak cart. I see no need to spend $60-$130 on a kart when I can make one myself. With 20" wheels it should go over everything, including other kayaks... :D

jay
Sounds great. I seen similar rigs in use for canoes. But can you strap the cart on top of a kayak or - better yet - put it in a hatch? The portage I mentioned in the previous post was halfway through a 18 mile paddle.
- bob m.

Hi Bob M, if I were to make a portable one, I would simply find/get smaller wheels like that from a lawnmower or snowthrower. But since I intend to hit some lakes near me, it could be locked up at the putin. I would use the big 20"'er for lakes and if I need to go point to point, I could make one small enough to fit in a hatch.

Where's the Kayak / Conoe Furum!

probably over Darren's bandwidth! He's only limited to a certain bandwidth per month or so and if he puts in a kayak/canoe forum, it'll probably put Darren over the limit?

Jay

Does anyone know why Wilderness Systems stopped making the Pungo Superlite? It was 12’, weighed only 39lbs, and had a price that wouldn’t break the bank. I was seriously thinking of buying one a few years back as something I could portage into some backwoods lakes and ponds, but they have just disappeared from the market. I was wondering if there was a problem with the boat, because if I find a used one I just might buy it. I did a web search on it, but didn’t find any info.

Lumberzac -- I saw a few on ebay the other day while I was looking at kayaks. I don't remember if there were any in the area though (since most of the kayaks require pick-up & need to be sold locally.)

- Ivy

My main concern is weather or not there is a structural problem with the boat as a result of them lightening it. Then again maybe it just didn't sell well so they stopped construction.

I am now officially a kayaker...:) I finally got the chance to go out today with Snowshoe up at Steenykill Lake (a lake, not a creek!) right off the High Point Monument in NJ. Nice small lake to wander in for my first kayak. Managed to stay on the right side of the water and it was actually kind of warm, but still nothing you want to take a swim in.

Had a lot of fun and also had a great time meeting Funkyfreddy and i12climbup at the Lakota Wolf Preserve...

Now that I at least now that the boat I got floats and I'm not going to kill myself, I'm now more apt to go out by myself after work and such. Then when the weather/water gets warmer, I'll work on learning a roll...

Jay

Paddle On!

Jay H said:

Now that I at least now that the boat I got floats and I'm not going to kill myself, I'm now more apt to go out by myself after work and such. Then when the weather/water gets warmer, I'll work on learning a roll...

Jay
Hi Jay,
Congrats. The colder temps have their benefits. Get in as much paddling as you can before Memorial Day. If Jersey's bigger lakes are like the Sound or the big Adirondack lakes they'll get pretty busy.
I was out on Oyster Bay last Thursday. It was the first time I didn't have to dodge sea planes, jet skis and speeding power boats.
- bob m.

Thanks Bob, I'll try to heed your advice weather permitting!

BTW, how do you dodge a sea plane? :)

Jay

KayakDan said:
Darren,you mentioned that you knew some local guides. Would that include my friends Carl and Sam from Osprey?
Dan

That's them. I've know them for 6 or 7 years I guess, back when Sam worked at Sakonnet. They are great. I hope to get some paddles in with them this summer.

You paddle down here much?

- darren

Darren,I have done a little paddling around there. Spent a day paddling with Carl last year on his birthday. Been on the Slocum and Westport a few times.
Just got back from doing the Exuma trip(2nd time) with Carl and Sam.
Looking forward to paddling with you,
Dan

Found another set of 18" wheels today... I also found an old lawnmower behind where I work. I feel like I'm living in an episode of Junkyard Wars....

Build a kayak carrier...

So now I have a set of 20" wheels and a set of 18" wheels and 3 small lawnmower wheels... I think I'm going to go into business soon, anybody want to buy a Kayak carrier built to your spec? I can just collect wheels and make a bunch of them, some portable, others not...

The addiction continues... And if the stinkin rain doesn't stop here by NYC, I'm going to Kayak to work!

Who needs an ark? :)

Jay

:D Pretty good pic! That's one round hull too, is that a racing 'yak? Even the whitewater kayaks, at least the play boats I have seen have a flat hull bottom on them...

Kind of reminds me of some of the Snow Yakking I've seen on some Warren Miller film..

Jay

Here's some pictures that I don't think I've posted of 3 out of many trips I've taken in the Orange Cty, NY or upper NJ lakes...

At Sebago Lake, looking at the public beach house (currently closed til Memorial day):
http://users.snip.net/~jayhui/files/impex_sebago.JPG

Another one at Sebago:
http://users.snip.net/~jayhui/files/impex_front.JPG

Here is at Lake Tiorati on the boat, looking west:
http://users.snip.net/~jayhui/files/impex_tiorati.JPG

here is a heron I saw at Monksville Reservoir in Ringwood, NJ:

http://users.snip.net/~jayhui/files/blue_heron.jpg

Having too much fun for my own good!

Jay

Jay, nice shots. The Mystic looks good. I see they changed the handles. In case you haven't seen it yet, click on the gallery button and select the kayak photo gallery to see some shots. I need post some more of my shots if I ever get any free time.....

- darren

Yeah, what has changed on the Mystic in '04 from '03 is minor:

1)Rescue handles on the bow/stern
2)Reflective deck lines
3)IR padded seat bottom

Other than that, it's the same size and dimensionswise, VCP hatches, a dock lockring on the back.

Going to Wawayanda today, bring my camera this time!

Jay