Trail Running in SE New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Just getting back into running and was looking for any feedback on trail running spots around Hampstead NH. Willing to drive a little..Been using rail trails a bit but the long flat straights are a bit, well alot, boring. Feedback on Pawtuckaway running also helpful.

Any info on any trails nearby for running would be appreciated. FYI- looking for a spot that can do 45+ minutes without running in circles all morning ;)

Thanks in advance.

Winnekenni Park

Winnekenni Park and Kenoza Lake in Haverhill is a great running spot. All kinds of trails and dirt roads. It's 5 miles around the Lake itself, with many other options in the surrounding woods. I've been running there for over 30 years, and I never get bored. There are plenty of hills! Let me know if you need further information.

Last edited:
It's a little bit of a drive from Hampstead, but Mt. Agamenticus in York, ME has some nice trails on it and is very close to Portsmouth, etc.

We own 50 acres with trails in East Hampstead on Central St. These trails connect to the Hampstead Trails System and I find many people jogging or walking on them. I am currently trying to improve these trails for non motorized recreation. There is parking off East Road.

Thanks everybody for your input.

And am&pm- very nice! Marty actually provided some details on those Hampstead Trails. Thanks for working on the trails! And by the way, welcome to the site....

Eric

Last edited:
Rock Rimmin in Kingston / Danville is supposed to have a nice view and good trail...it's where the cross country team from the high school trains...but I've not yet gone up there...

Just a couple thoughts. Manchester Water Works has many miles of trails and old woods roads around Massabesic, Little Massabesic, Tower Hill Pond and others. These are all open as long as you don't go in the water. Most roads are on the topos. Fort Rock in Exeter is also nice. It's really the Henderson/Swazey and Oaklands Town Forests. The town has a great map at town hall which you will need as there are tons of squirrely little trails all over and you never know where you'll come out! You'll share both places with mountain bikers but that's not too bad. There is also a cool tunnel under the highway.
Bob

Definitely Pawtuckaway.Bear Brook.Northwood Meadows is great.Belknaps rule.Blue Job is fantastic.Even the trails at Foss and kingman farms at UNH offer good running.

Trail Running on the mean streets and back alleys of Hampstead

Across Main Street from my home in downtown Hampstead is a conservation area of about 1 square mile that contains my favorite Mtn bike/xc ski/walking
trails. Hosts Fisher, Moose, Deer, Turkeys and and assorted creatures of feathered persuasion. There are vernal pools, streams and swamps for those that enjoy dampness. Small but frequent ups and downs, though none of them are Faraway. Max elevation is an oxygen rich 330 feet. There are similar trailed patches scattered around town.

We have been fortunate in having folk both willing to give easements and others willing to organize and maintain them. Maps,(not of Trail Bandit's quality), are available on line and sometimes at the Town Office.

Before moving south I would trail run sections of the Wapck Trail on a regular basis. At one time there ws a race on it but I am not sure if they are still doing it.