Trail shoes versus Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a LOT of miles on my lowa Klondikes, and this past weekend I decided to try out a midweight boot. BAD news. My Klondikes NEVER gave me blisters and I got blisters after 1 mile. The boots go back, break out the Lowas. I think I may also try out trail runners this year.

Yeah, those are pretty funky. Kinda look like the old Air jordans. Why Red? They would probably look great in blue...

Trail, those shoes aren't any uglier than the Adidas Supernova trail runners that I have been hiking in. The 'nova's are this miserable gray color with yellow and blue accents. Also currently covered with mud. Maybe thats why I haven't been attracting any male attention on the trail. :D Laughing..........

Nike ACG: Air Teocalli XCR

Would anyone recommend something like these for an extended (5-7 day) hike?

The shoes I use now are a relatively cheap pair of Tevas.. They've fit, felt, and worked WONDERFUL, but aren't exactly waterproof...still wasn't a bad buy for $60, and I got a lot of use out of them. But in planning for our big hike, we're figuring we'll have to put up with 2-3 days of mixed rain and 7 days of mud during the 7 days we're on the trails, so the Tevas just won't hold up.

I considered getting those newer Vasque Goretex boots, but they're.....boots... I've only rolled my ankle maybe once in my life despite being pretty active since my youth, so I'm not too concerned about support. More than anything, I'm concerned about low weight, moderate water-proofing (enough to keep water out even when covered in mud would be fine), and CUSHION! I've had a history with heel spurs and they seem to be the most vulnerable part of my legs/feet. Anyone think these little guys would hold up comfortably for 7 days?

Yes and No

I'm not going to say "No", but I'm not going to say "Yes." I would say the most important thing to keep in mind is that they are not designed for backpacking.
But...having worn them for many days trail running on all kinds of nasty stuff and for two weekend backpacking trips, I would personally have no qualms about taking them on an extended trip. I'd match them up with a good pair of socks, and be happy.
These shoes are Gore-Tex, but they don't protect you if water goes up and over. (I can attest to that after this weekend.) And when you get them muddy, you can't see how ugly they are! :D

Well...just before I was bragging about how rare it is for me to roll my ankle.. I just got back from a day of tennis and I'm ashamed to say I managed to roll it with a mis-step in running shoes hahah.. Very minor, and there was no pain or damage at all right after it happened, but the fact that it happened at all isn't good. Having that happen with 40+ pounds of gear on my back probably wouldn't be pretty. :(

For now....just to be safe....I think I'll go with something a bit heavier and boot-like. It would be a NIGHTMARE to have it happen a couple days into the hike. Much rather be safer and in good physical health than worry about being more nimble.

I've tried hiking with light boots and sneakers before and every time my feet have killed by the end of the hike. A buddy of mine wanted to do Katahdin and knife edge with sneakers and I kinda conviced him not to. At the end of the day he said he could have done it in sneakers. I see people do it all the time, but I will always push boots. I would feel guilty otherwise.

Boots for this girl

ask my hiking partner about my feet & he'll cuss or roll his eyes. i have major pain in the ball of my foot- metatarsal area (sp?) - shoes kill me! i also tend to twist my ankles easily so i need the higher support. but personally, even if i didn't have problem feet, i just can't see do any lengthy hikes in the adks in anything but a good supportive boot. so many of the trails are rocky, whether big rocks, scree or dried up river beds and i don't want to feel all those rocks beneath me so i go for the thickest soles i can find. also, because some of the descents can be pretty precarious, balancing on loose dirt or rocks, i go for the ankle support. on a short scramble or climbing a slide i prefer a trail shoe but at least in this area i have to wear boots & the more rugged the better! as an example of what i consider "rugged" i wear: summer/spring boots : asolo mtf 650, close 2nds: technica odessey & my "least" rugged is the salomon adventure trek. i'm currently waiting for sierra to get the lowa alpine guides in (over 50% off) and for winter: vasque alpines & garmont pinnacles w/ crampons. [just so you guys don't think i 'm a lush (i'm not bragging) i get all my boots on sale, usually i luck out and can get them around 70% off so i'm lucky in that i can have 3-4 pr of boots for the cost of 1 pr.] maybe the trails in other areas are ok for shoes but around here, if you plan on doing more than 4 miles; go for boots - besides, the new models are still pretty supportive and lighter. the salomon adventure treks are really nice and quite light.

Shadow
you should post a picture of you and your boots...

boots & more boots

i know - i could never afford all these boots at retail but i just luck out - i mean come on... how ridiculous is it to pay $49 for hiking boots! i take a size that's always on sale! what can i say. i should will my hiking gear to someone huh?
ps: jason - i don't think you ever told me where your picture is from. it looks like a really nice hike!

Last edited:
Let me guess, you either have a size 5 or a size 13 (womans I am guessing). That seems to be my luck at STP. Unfortunately I am hopelessly average...

boot size

yup you are right
i take a 6 or 37 in woman's so i always find something. too much actually. i have to be careful tho as i find myself getting sucked in by the awesome deals, even if i don't need anything. i found myself almost buying a pr of asolo plastic boots last year, orig $400 for $39! that was before i took an ice climbing class, now i wish i had bought them.
:)

I was looking at either the Lowa Renegade II GTX Mid or the Nike Air Zoom Tallac XCR for day hikes, short trips, pack weight under 25 lbs. Has anyone tried either or have any comments or recommendations regarding these?

Also was curious what type of sock (socks) people are wearing with the trail shoes or lightweight boots?

hik'n boots/shoes

tried everythin 'cept sandals, those are next

yep, first you gotta git the fit

beyond that i can't do mtns in "shoes" of any kind

trail runners (i have sum NB 806ATs) nice & cushy for long walks

but up in them thar hills i gotta have a little mo boot

some boots are gittin pretty light though, 2-3 lbs a pair

got me sum Montrail Torres that're solid & grippy, about 3.4 lbs - bought em too small for loooong walks, but they're agile

got me sum ole hand-me-down Danners that cum up to my knees for snow - very comfy

gonna try a pair of 2.2 lbs boots (Tecnica) & hope to alternate those w a pair of 2 lb sandals (Chaco)

heard the sandals w neopreme not good - give ya blisters when wet....

heard the Nike Tallac will fall apart on ya

luv them lightweight Smartwool hik'n soks

I hike in smartwool sox. I think they beat all other socks.

Must be tough without boots, no matter how good those socks are!
-----------------------
I thought I had seen it all but two days ago when I was climbing the west side of Palteau, there was a fella coming down wearing bedroom slippers. You know the kind that have just a toe covering and you slip your foot into? He seemed happy and comfortable. I guess everyone has a different level of comfort.
Happy Hiking,
Tom