Trail-Skiing Conditions across the WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can XC ski the Sawyer Pond Tr from the Kanc if the ice at the Swift River crossing is strong enough. Otherwise, enter at a logging road near the S end of Bear Notch Rd. Follow the logging road until it intersects SPT. (Don't follow the Rob Brook Tr--it may be marshy.) You can also turn N on a snowmobile trail just E of Sugar Hill. All of the above are marked on the AMC map.

I've done both routes--both are nice.

Doug

I've tried both routes, and been stymied both times. In one case, the Swift was open & running (March 15), so I went up Potash instead. In the other, the snow at Bear Notch was unbroken, thigh-deep, wet cement. I had never post-holed while skiing before, but I made it about 200 sweaty yards before I realized it was not to be. I went to the Lincoln Woods on-ramp and got myself some reliability (only had an hour to kill).

I think I'll do it from Lily Pond to the Sawyer Pond Trail. It just requires rather specific conditions, so it may have to wait. Ixnay on the ampsway!

Anyone been out lately? I see that Avalon report. The track out the back door is well-set now, with several laps of both snow-shoes and skis. And, miraculously (it's Christmas), no one has destroyed them yet! The first ski of the year always reminds me of how unfit I am at the start of the season.

Later....

I've tried both routes, and been stymied both times. In one case, the Swift was open & running (March 15), so I went up Potash instead. In the other, the snow at Bear Notch was unbroken, thigh-deep, wet cement. I had never post-holed while skiing before, but I made it about 200 sweaty yards before I realized it was not to be. I went to the Lincoln Woods on-ramp and got myself some reliability (only had an hour to kill).
When snow conditions are bad then one might as well stay home or do something else (like hike). I've had good conditions for both.

I think I'll do it from Lily Pond to the Sawyer Pond Trail. It just requires rather specific conditions, so it may have to wait. Ixnay on the ampsway!
That should work too. I've done Hancock Notch coming out at Lily Pond, but have never gone in there or toward Sawyer Pond from there.

Anyone been out lately? I see that Avalon report. The track out the back door is well-set now, with several laps of both snow-shoes and skis. And, miraculously (it's Christmas), no one has destroyed them yet! The first ski of the year always reminds me of how unfit I am at the start of the season.
Does "suburban BC" count? I did 6 mi on town conservation land and an abandoned railbed yesterday afternoon (Bedford, MA). I even broke part of the way. I'll probably go out again this afternoon. (But the heat wave will be killing the snow before long... :( )

Doug

Anything broken out (by skis) from the Kanc yet?

No trip reports from skiers yet.... SO, any hikers notice if any of the ski trails you cross or see have ski tracks???? Wondering about anything along the Kanc???

No trip reports from skiers yet.... SO, any hikers notice if any of the ski trails you cross or see have ski tracks???? Wondering about anything along the Kanc???
Lincoln Woods is almost certainly broken as far as the 3-mi bridge. Perhaps farther. (Last I knew, they groomed it as far as the bridge.)

East-Side Rd is also very likely broken out too.

Both lead much farther into the backcountry.

And if they aren't broken out, break one.

Doug

Lincoln Woods is almost certainly broken as far as the 3-mi bridge. Perhaps farther. (Last I knew, they groomed it as far as the bridge.)

East-Side Rd is also very likely broken out too.

Both lead much farther into the backcountry.

And if they aren't broken out, break one.

Doug

Good suggestion!!!! I'll post my trip report!!!!

j

Hoping to XC ski on Beaver Brook and environs this Sat, but I have a feeling that a bunch of you will beat me to it, since it's only Tues now...

Do you all know whether XC skiers ever break out a trail on the Gale River Rd?

Happy trails...

I plan to...its well travelled by snowmobilers, if you don't mind skiiing in their track.