Trailwork on DIx

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
Early Saturday morning, a crew of 17 showed up for the 46ers first trailwork outing of the year. We split up into a number of smaller groups and set out on the Dix-Round Pond trail to clear drainage ditches, and to remove blowdown.

It has rained heavily throughout the night, and by morning streams were very high. I knew that we'd never be able to cross the Bouquet, and that we would be unable to make the summit. I also knew that we would have lousy weather, because there was a Julie on the crew. As some of you know, whenever I go someplace with a Julie, it rains, or is cloudy.

I left with a small crew to clear blowdown. Among the people in my crew, was an internationally acclaimed artist. We also had a woman who had this thing about boy-scouts and middle aged peakbaggers, but I'll leave that alone. We headed off at a moderate pace. There was some blowdown, but not too much as we moved along.

The first problem occurred after a couple miles, when we came to the stream which runs from the col between Noonmark and Round. Usually a few quick steps across, today it was high, and all the stepping stones were under water.

At this point a wise leader would have advised his crew to turn back, however while I was thinking about what to do, the others found a downed tree, and were able to make it across on that. Seeing my crew on the other side, I decided it would be unwise to make them cross this raging stream again, so I decided that I had to go across.

Rats. I was scared. I had hoped to use the excuse of the wise leader so that I wouldn't have to cross that thing.

So we went on, clearing more blowdown. As the group leader, it was my job to take pictures while everyone else worked. It was about this time, that I came up with the idea for a web page, "Women with Axes". I got a few pictures to add to it in this section. I'm looking for more volunteers too. If you're a woman, and like swinging an axe, give me a yell.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/wwa.jpg

There was no way I was going to use an axe that day. I was dressed in bright pink and yellow, and a guy dressed in bright pink and yellow, just does not use an axe. It just does not fit the image, and, for me, image is everything.

About this time, we were joined by a guy walking with blackflies. It seems that he was the only one in his drainage clearing crew that made it across that first stream. It was a good day for clearing drainage ditches. If that work is done on a dry day, it isn't always obvious where the water collects. Today, it was collecting everywhere.

Before reaching the lean-to, we came up against several more stream crossings which were difficult. One member slipped off the bank, and did a full-body slam into the stream. It had no effect on the stream, and only left her wet. Many others decided to simply walk through the stream, and change socks later on.

By the time we reached the lean-to most of us were somewhat wet, and some were wetter than others, and none were wetter than some. We ate lunch, got cold, then headed back.

For a lousy day, it was a surprisingly nice day. The Dix-Round Pond trail is now in decent shape at least as far as the lean-to. Thanks to all the crew who worked while I took pictures, and thanks for your company.

Pete_Hickey said:
I also knew that we would have lousy weather, because there was a Julie on the crew. As some of you know, whenever I go someplace with a Julie, it rains, or is cloudy.

Sorry.

Pete_Hickey said:

A picture of you with your pink and yellow outfit would have been more entertaining.

Pete_Hickey said:
One member slipped off the bank, and did a full-body slam into the stream. It had no effect on the stream, and only left her wet.

I was not even trying to cross the river, I was just stuck in a stupid place on the river bank, while I should have bushwack further in the woods instead.

Pete_Hickey said:
For a lousy day, it was a surprisingly nice day. The Dix-Round Pond trail is now in decent shape at least as far as the lean-to. Thanks to all the crew who worked while I took pictures, and thanks for your company.

Thanks to you, Pete. I'll go again next year, after I 'll have my name changed for Marie-Soleil or something like that.

Pete_Hickey said:
I also knew that we would have lousy weather, because there was a Julie on the crew. As some of you know, whenever I go someplace with a Julie, it rains, or is cloudy.

Now I know who to blame for ruining my Dix Range traverse plans for this past weekend. ;)

Thanks for putting the time and effort in to keeping the trails in good condition.

Survivor

As a survivor of this ill-fated expedition, at least I had the opportunity to observe the wisdom of the leader. He did not tell us that the most treacherous stream we crossed was called Gravestone Brook :eek: (no kidding, it really is).

Joe

audrey said:
What happened to Napoleon? He was so cute!
DougPaul said:
Napoleon is probably smart enough to stay out of the rain... :)
Nope. Nap-Nap is a DUMB cat... Loveable, but dumb. 'tite Poule is so much smarter. He'll be back someday. Right now, I've got to start rebuilding my image of a tough guy. Pink clothes and cute cats don't do that.

timmus said:
A picture of you with your pink and yellow outfit would have been more entertaining.
And have people LAUGH at me???!!!

timmus said:
I 'll have my name changed for Marie-Soleil
Hey, that's a good one! I'll bet it'll work great!

JoeCedar said:
As a survivor of this ill-fated expedition ....
That was YOU!!!. I should have made the connection. Probably not too many Joes in Keene.

Thanks again all. It is amazing how much fun it can be, working in cold rain.

timmus said:
I don't think any pictures of me in that exist (and I want it to remain that way), but for those interested in backcountry fashion, here's the shirt I was wearing.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/shirt.jpg

It only cost $6.00! Can you beleive it??!!!?