trampling the tundra

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan207

Reaction score
I was doing a hut check up to Lakes of the clouds via Ammo. When I arrived I did the check, then had a snack. As I stared toward Monroe, I noticed a line of skiers, must of been 5 of them. They were all within 50 feet of a trail but decided to trample across the fragile alpine tundra from monroe gully toward tucks, instead of removing their ski's and using the trail. Not a very tough thing to do and even if it is, I think the authority of the resources speaks for itself. I felt like shouting, "it's okay! whatever you kill will grow back in 200 years!" But then I wasn't sure if they were just being inconsiderate or ignorant. Either way, I was bothered by this. It's not only skiers of course, in the summer time there are plenty of (mostly ignorant) hikers/guests who do the same. But still, I feel as though it's important to speak of this. We then traversed around the west side of Washington, over Clay, then took Gulfside to Madison and down the Valley way. Along the way I saw an abundance of skiers and many doing the same thing as they tried to reach a desired skiing run. Took a lot to ignore it, but I feel like in a situation such as this that my words would probably offend them instead of help them. So I hiked on by.

That is troubling to see, and I think, like others here, we've all witnessed something like that. I saw a group rambling around Eisenhower a few years back, and another time ignorant "explorers" on Moosilauke broad summit. They never seem to listen :( to requests to stay on trail.

The saddest case I've seen was the hut crew of LOC last spring using pans to sled on the last patch of snow that was surrounded by alpine flora, in an area that was signed "keep out, recovering vegetation". They were sledding down and using the flora to stop their momentum.

Skiiers also seem to get a pass. There are many places where people ski that are impossible to access without trampling vegetation. Same goes for rock climbing. Yet on Franconia Ridge in the middle of summer, I saw a ranger stationed on the trail, barking at each party to stay on trail as soon as they hit treeline. There's an awful lot of bare rock on that ridge.

Ive seen this many times and Im never afraid to "nicely" educate the offenders, while most of the time I like to mind my business when hiking, that White Diapensia cant speak for itself so I step up. Its all about education, I believe right or wrong most offenders are just ignorant not malicious ( at least I hope so).