Trap Dike with full packs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever done the trap dike with full packs? Also, what additional equipment may be required in early November (i.e. Will this thing be iced up?)

Last edited:
I've done the trap dike many times in Winter with a fairly heavy pack (rope, skis, etc, on pack), although not with a big overnight pack.

In summer conditions, having a heavy pack would make the "second waterfall" section of the climb a little "balancey." It might be a bit uncomfortable; you might want to bring a short (50' or so) length of rope so you could leave the pack at the bottom of that section and then haul it up once you're back on easy ground.

Oddly, in winter conditions with a good ice axe planted, the dike is a lot more secure and easier with a pack.

As to early November, unfortunately that's a tough time for climbs like that, because it's an "in-between season" that often features the worst possible conditions, such as verglas. I haven't climbed the dike in verglas conditions, but it would be a little tricky. I would bring full ice gear as for a technical climb, and expect it to be harder than in mid-winter. You might be pleasantly surprised; it all depends on the weather. But I'd be prepared. If it had been unseasonably warm and dry for a few days, I'd say try it. But if it's typical November, I'd treat it as a technical climb. And if you find verglas in the dike, stay off the slide. Verglas in the dike would be manageable if you're a decent ice climber, but on the slide it would be impossible.

TCD

I've got to ask...

Just wondering why you'd want to do the Dike with a full pack...
Good advice so far. I'd add that (as one who's missed the exit to the slide twice), if you end up in the cripplebrush by exiting too late, a full pack would not enhance the experience ;)

The waterfall section can easily be handled by removing the pack, climbing it, then pulling the pack up with a rope. It works for both going up and down.

The ice, on the other hand... too little to make it a winter climb, but enouth to make it real bad. Crampons don't work well on an eight inch of ice.

At least one person died climbing the dike in icy conditions.

Yeah, and if I remember right she was killed in a fall on the slide. I wasn't on that rescue, but I read that she slid quite a ways into some trees. The slide is a lot more dangerous than the dike in ice conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering why you'd want to do the Dike with a full pack...

From Old Smores...

:) Well, we were considering going up the dike, down the '90 slide then make camp. Day 2 would summit Marcy and descend back to the Loj. One of our team has previously (successfully) ascended the dike, but the possible verglass conditions have pretty much made up our minds that this would be a better summer trip than late fall.
I do appreciate all the advice; warnings; and general knowledge you all are supplying!

If you go fast and light, the trip your describing makes a great summer day hike.

Dory...:) Well said:
You might consider making camp first, then if conditions are good you could go up the dike and back down with daypacks only, or bail if it's wet/icy.

Going light

Yeah, This awesome:) idea was from my friend Colby who had read someone else's blog about 'Great Range' training where this team did Alongonquin; Colden via the Dike and down the slide and then Marcy all in a day. I called "MERCY!" :eek: and that was when my sister suggested splitting part of that trip into two days. I wasn't sure I was super keen on the idea of dragging a pack up the Dike but I knew I'd get some honest answers here on VFTT! I really want to do the Dike and I prefer to do it light. I've had enough epic adventures for this year!...I think I'm gonna point the team over to the Dix range? We need to have some beers over maps. We're heading up the first weekend in November.

It wasn't my blog, but that's my standard range training hike. It deliberately goes over the highest summits and down into the deepest valleys, and it gets you a whole bunch of vertical for the distance. It also covers a lot of spectacular ground. And after a lap on that route, the climbs along the range are pretty soft! :D