Trip Proposal -- Wapack End to End

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! 10 people so far, pretty good turn out. So far, it looks like May 9th might work best for the most people, unless there's some suggestions to push it up later, or do it earlier.

We'll just see how this developes.

Mark

Can't make this trip but what makes a two-day hike interesting for some is the opportunity to linger without regard to time. I recall some ledges and a pond on the stretch between Watatic and Windblown. Also, interesting is the challenge of a group gourmet dinner, together with an appropriate box of red campsite wine (guarantee it'll be a great vintage whatever it is!).

Since the group is building up in numbers and there develops a tendency to separate into fast, moderate and liesurely paces, some might wish to make a weekend out of this.

Stan said:
Can't make this trip but what makes a two-day hike interesting for some is the opportunity to linger without regard to time. I recall some ledges and a pond on the stretch between Watatic and Windblown. Also, interesting is the challenge of a group gourmet dinner, together with an appropriate box of red campsite wine (guarantee it'll be a great vintage whatever it is!).

Since the group is building up in numbers and there develops a tendency to separate into fast, moderate and liesurely paces, some might wish to make a weekend out of this.

I could see this being an excellent 2 day hike in the middle of the winter. Watatic to Windblown with an unrushed start late morning. Dinner in the Warming Hut, followed by late-night XC around the trails and telemark in the moonlight down the open slope, the whole center to ourselves.....

Just in case there are some who would want to join in but do this as a 2 day, I checked with Windblown and they have just about all weekends in May open for the Warming Hut. The rates are reasonable -$14 perperson per night, max of $100.

Wapack Trail makes for a great day hike

overnight parking is fine in the southern lot off Route 119 in Ashburnham ... we've left cars there all night and never had problems

overnight parking at the northern terminus should be alright ... Old Mountain Road does not see heavy traffic, you can park your car on the side of the road ... NH Gazeteer or Wapack Trail Guide might help you find the trailhead

Wapack website has a rough trail map - you can order a better Wapack Trail Map and Guide from their website:
http://www.wapack.org

latest Wapack News says that there's logging near Binney Hill, north of Watatic ... might want to look into that

Watatic is a great mountain ! an easy day hike that provides very good views for very little effort ... walk over to the eastern summit and relax on the open ledges

we stumbled upon some great backpacking sites while exploring the old cross-country ski area a couple summers ago, and met the fine folks who now own the land

if you wait until late May, you might run into black fly season

a few other options:

Monadnock Sunapee Greenway (50 miles)
http://www.msgtc.org

Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsage Greenway (75 miles)
http://www.srkg.com

Midstate Trail (92 miles)
http://www.midstatetrail.org/hikes.htm

Last edited:
Oops - yeah, count me out for May 9th, that being Mother's Day. I'd be a dead man if I didn't visit Mom that day!
:eek:

I'd be good with weekends like the 23rd or Memorial Day...

cantdog said:
Mothers Day is Sunday, 5/9. Though I have no children and my mother can be flexible, that day might not work for some.
Any thoughts??

Doing the whole trip in a single day would work for me, even if it is Mothers Day.

Yes, that's true. Then, how does 5/8 work for everybody? I know it'll be a problem for Michaelj, unless he's up for an epic :D

If that date doesn't work, perhaps the first weekend in May, Memorial Day Weekend, or we could try June?

Mark

Mark_151 said:
Then, how does 5/8 work for everybody?
Mark,

I wonder if you will accept some advice from someone who has a lot of experience arranging hikes with friends ...

You will NEVER find a date which suits everybody. Get an idea of what seems to work, then choose a date. Those who can make it come, those who can't don't. It's as simple as that.

From my perspective the trip loses much of its attraction if pushed into June. Why hike in the southern hills once Mud Season is over and I can hike in the Whites?

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Mark,

I wonder if you will accept some advice from someone who has a lot of experience arranging hikes with friends ...

You will NEVER find a date which suits everybody. Get an idea of what seems to work, then choose a date. Those who can make it come, those who can't don't. It's as simple as that.

From my perspective the trip loses much of its attraction if pushed into June. Why hike in the southern hills once Mud Season is over and I can hike in the Whites?

Thanks for the advice Mohamed. This is the reason I put the proposal up at this time, so I could get an idea of what would work with the grouip that responded before we set a date. It's looking more like the weekend of the 8th will be that date.

I agree with keeping the trip in May rather than June, but for different reasons. Hiking season is almost over for me -- pretty soon it's mountain biking and after work hikes on the Wapack and maybe rock climbing until the snow flies again and the crowds LEAVE the Whites!

Wapak hike

HI,
Michelle told me about this site yesterday, so this is my first posting. I would love to join in on the Wapak hike. Weekdays usually work better for me. But the weekend of the 8th also works for me!

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
I'm interested in this hike, assuming I'm sufficiently recovered. It's been slow... The 8th works fine for me, and a day hike would be preferable with a very early start (for me).

Might make sense to have multiple car spots: one at Miller State Park (to be safe), one at each end. This hike would work quite well as a key swap hike: some heading north, some heading south, meeting at an agreed upon location (beer) after the hike;)

I think in deference to Mohamed's input, as well as for my and everyone else's sanity, I'm going to set the date for this hike as May 8th. We can see who will make that date and work out the logistics from there.

I'm thinking on the multiple spots, we could put a car or two at or near Windblown at the halfway point. I can call and ask permission to use their lot. I work in Greenville, also at the halfway point, and know of a fairly decent place we can meet (beer, food). Specifically, The Red Brick Inn. There's other alternatives around as well.

I'd be interested in the weekend of the 8th and 9th. I could hike it on either day, and would be willing to stay at the warming hut for the weekend.

Ok, the trip is officially set for May 8th. Can everyone who will be going please PM me so I can compile an "official" list? We can start figuring out how the trip will work, say about the 1st week in May. So far, I have 14 people, including me, who are interested. We'll have to figure out if this will be a shuttle or key-swap style of hike, or a combination of the two
I'd like to eventually get an email list going so we can figure out how to make this work, unless everyone wants to keep the discussion on this thread.

FWIW, I did a quick hike up Watatic after work today, and the trail looked great, despite the 6 inches of rain last week. If it's indicative of the whole trail, there's really no "mud season" happening out there.

Mark

Since I have to be in formalwear at the Museum of Science at 6:30, it depends on how early we start and how long we expect the hike to take. I may coordinate a car spot with someone and leave my car at the halfway point so I can bail out and head home.

You know, every time I actually go ahead and commit to an event, somebody schedules a hike the same day. I'm cursed.
:mad:

arm said:
you have to pay to park your car at Miller State Park lot, right ?

not sure whether leaving a car there for a "real early" start would mean missing the fee collector, whether they tow or ticket cars that didn't pay, etc

you could spot a car off Temple Road, near the old shack in Sharon NH (free parking):
http://www.wapack.org/map.html

here are a few pics from our Wapack trek last fall:
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=62196559705&page=1&sort_order=0

you should contact Friends of the Wapack to find out about the logging operation near Binney Hill Road ... it gets muddy in that area

I think we'll want to spot the cars on Old Mountain Road. There's another little detail because this trip will be on a Saturday -- that area can get VERY busy on the weekends, as well as the Watatic parking area, so a very early rendezvous and shuttle placement will be mandatory.

Good point on the logging operations, I will check with FOW, but that notice has been on the website for months now. I will contact Windblown and see if I can get permission to spot a car or two there.

Wapack

Since it's a one day hike on the weekend, I'd like to join if no one minds someone new to VFTT. I've thought about doing this but haven't had a way to spot a car at the other end.

Mark_151 said:
Good point on the logging operations, I will check with FOW, but that notice has been on the website for months now. I will contact Windblown and see if I can get permission to spot a car or two there.
When I hiked it last November, there was one spot a little tricky due to logging. Vehicles had widened the trail somewhat and I almost missed the turn (to the right) where Wapack Trail turned but logging vehicles/machinery kept straight. Otherwise, not a problem except for esthetics.

Frosty

Frosty said:
When I hiked it last November, there was one spot a little tricky due to logging. Vehicles had widened the trail somewhat and I almost missed the turn (to the right) where Wapack Trail turned but logging vehicles/machinery kept straight. Otherwise, not a problem except for esthetics.

Frosty

If that's the stretch from Watatic to Binney Pond, it was seriously ralphed when I did the section 10 years ago. Probably always has been, always will.

I have Friday-Monday off Patriot's Day weekend. I'm going to go hike the section to Binney Pond and maybe to Pratt to see how it looks.

Mark