Trip Proposal -- Wapack End to End

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother and I did this hike last April, staying overnight at the high shelter at Windblown Ski Area. Other than the fact that it rained all weekend, we enjoyed the hike. The shelters at Windblown are well maintained. There are some nice views from the ledges and summits of the "small hills". Have fun!

Wapack End to End

Ok, the trip is officially set for May 8th.

Sorry I can't be there. I haven't done a E2E on the Wapack in 3-4 years. May 8 is the date of the Taconic Crest E2E. The TCT is 35 miles with 6-7000' elevation gain.

There is a Wapack Double on either 4/24 or 4/25. Here's some info:

Deb and Steve Pero are planning on running a double Wapack on next weekend, April 24th or 25th. The distance is approx 45 miles of rugged single track trail, the pace will be comfortable, meaning slow. We will walk the hills and run the downs...it'll be very much like a 100 mile run. Last year it took 16 hours, finishing well after dark

Mark, the shoulder where the Wapack crosses rt124 (near Windblown) is fairly large and a few cars can park in the area without a problem. I would love to go along but will be teaching that morning.

brianW said:
Mark, the shoulder where the Wapack crosses rt124 (near Windblown) is fairly large and a few cars can park in the area without a problem. I would love to go along but will be teaching that morning.

Thanks Brian

I got permission from Windblown to use their parking lot for the trip.

Mark

I am new to the VFTT, so if it is not tool late I would not mind joining the Wapack end to end hike. :) Add me onto the list if it is not too late! This is a good prep for the continuation of the 4K Whites list.

amstony said:
I am new to the VFTT, so if it is not tool late I would not mind joining the Wapack end to end hike. :) Add me onto the list if it is not too late! This is a good prep for the continuation of the 4K Whites list.

Hi

I better make it official on the VFTT board. The hike is full-up, and we are in the planning stages now on an email list. I'll put you on a reserve list, however.

Mark

end to end wapak hike

Hi,
I am new to this, but I was interested in the Wapak hike. I did reply a few weeks ago, but not sure if it was full at that time? Can I join the hike?

2X Wapack E2E

Chip mentioned about our little group run/hike that happened this past Saturday. We had 7 runners, 6 who made it all the way.

We started at Miller SP so that we could use that as an aid drop, we (my wife and I) also placed a cooler with some aid at the small parking area across from Windblown.

We did the North out and back first from Miller, then after resupplying, headed out to do the longer southern out and back to Mt Watatic. We added the Cliff Trail for some variety on the return trip.

Our front runner did it in under 12 hours and the rest of us staggered in at different times. Our goal was to finish by dark, which my wife and I did, starting at 6AM and finishing at 8:02.

It was a great training run/hike for our upcoming Rocky Mountain trip and we took some pictures which you are free to go view at

http://community.webshots.com/album/137573298ODJPjx

I was wondering what the group's feeling is regarding runners on the trail...even though we probabaly hike about 50% of it.

Thanks,
ultrastevep

Runners on the trail? Well, they come and go a lot faster than anyone else, so other than the initial shock you feel when they come up the trail (similar to starting a grouse), I've no problem with them. Heck, it's not my trail, and they have as much right to it as I do.