Tripyramids in Oct

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of wx conditions one can expect around the last week of Oct. I know its tough to tell during the transitional seasons but, anybody done it around that time? Also, anybody been across sandwich notch road lately? Thinking it might be good shortcut from where I coming.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Honestly...ANYTHING. Shoulder seasons are tremendously variable from day to day in the whites at elevation. Cold fronts can drop temperatures 50 degrees in just hours. It could be snowy and blowing 100, or it could be calm, sunny and in the sixties.

It seems that more serious rescues occur in October/November and April/May in the whites for a number of reasons, but I think it is the change in weather that gets people. You go in the winter...it's gonna be cold. You go in the summer, it's gonna be warm. In the spring and falll...eh?!?!?!

Late October on the peaks is climatologically early winter, and I'd treat it like that. And while the tri's are not by any stretch Mount Washington, their stats will give you some ideas...Try adding 10 degrees, and dropping peak winds by 1/3...

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

Based upon the weather the past 7 seasons, you'll encounter some amount of snow. Whether it's a dusting or 6 inches like I encountered last year on the Hancocks and Kinsmans the first weekend of Nov is anyone's guess.

Also, Sandwich Notch Rd is alleged to be in worse condition than in past years. It is also not faster to Waterville Valley than going to Exit 24 in Ashland. I timed it a few years back when the road was only horrible.

JohnL

Check the weather trends (and trail reports if there's been snow) during the week prior to your hike. If there's heavy weather coming in, you might get a lead on it beforehand. There can be surprises, but they're commoner with the summer pop-up storms than the early winter ones.

You may need some traction (Stabilicers or such), but crampons or snowshoes shouldn't be on the menu. Chances are, it'll be cold at night and warm in the daytime!

Your eyes glaze over as you already know all this, but it confirms that there's no other magic bullet.

Should be fine!

Pretty much what others said, I'd still do it but I'd probably avoid the North Slide if it's been wet or snowy as verglas (thin water ice) on the slide might be tough. (It likely wouldn't cover the whole thing unless you had snow melting & freezing up higher)

South Slide is facing the sun so on a descent in mid-afternoon is should warm up & IMO not as bad as North Slide. Saddaday brook up high is steep, east facing & in the trees so if there is snow, it won't melt all that fast there.

So if doing the loop from Waterville I'd opt for Livermore, Scuar Pine Bend, tri loop down South Slide & back via Livermore

Last October 21, there was a dusting of snow at Livermore, then a bit more higher up. It made things a little slippery, stabilicers came in handy. Bring stabilicers or yaktrax with you, even if they wind up being hitch hikers, it's better to have them.

Hey, thanks for replies. Its pretty much what I thought. I have done the 11mi loop before and can imagine just a little water on north slide would make it an ice skating rink or slide

I drove Sandwich Notch Road Sunday and thought it was fine...a few potholes, but certainly passable - no washouts or anything.

I first hiked the Tripyramids on October 26, 2000. While there was no snow, the rocks on the North Slide were wet enough to make them slick (they appeared to be dry, but weren’t — my gloves became damp), so I backed off and went around to the Scaur Ridge Trail instead.

Sixty-four minutes were spent on the North Slide attempt; the hike took 6:05 all together.

As others have noted, conditions on the slide can be highly variable. Just be flexible.

I've done it when there was some ice. All you had to do was go around it.

Doug