Tripyramids -- May 21, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMagic

Reaction score
This trip was planned for months on the Sunday of the Flags on the 48 planning weekend. Four canceled because of the forecast of rain in the afternoon. We waited until 9:15 am at the Livermore Road trailhead, then hit the Greeley Ponds Trail to redline the Flume Path, see the waterfalls there, and take the Old Skidder Trail to the Tripyramids. I had never hiked the Scaur Ridge Trail so Ghostdog and I left the core group and took this trail while they continued on to the Mt. Tripyramid Trail to climb the North Slide. It was clearly wet out and the weather called for rain in the afternoon. One more reason I did not wish to take the slide this day.

The Jeneral and NewHampshire have never been to the Tripyramids before, yet were psyched to climb the slide. SilentCal and SonicBoom had been there many times before and knew the conditions very well. I redlined Scaur Ridge Trail, merged with Pine Bend Brook Trail, arrived at the summit and waited for the group as planned. And waited. And waited. After more than an hour I started on to Middle Tripyramids, took one look at the Sabbaday Trail, thought of the group and of SilentCal and me taking this route to these mountains last June, then decided to return to the North Summit and await their arrival.

It started to rain as I retraced my steps and waited back on North Tripyramid. And waited. Another half hour passes. Now I’m wondering if they even are climbing the slide or decided to turn back. I did walk out to see if they were on their way, alas, visibility was less than 200’. There were plenty of clouds, pouring rain, and gusty wind. Time for me to get off this range and out of the wilderness, I thought. Ghostdog and I headed to Middle Peak, I placed the word ‘magic’ with twigs just before the summit and continued quickly on to South Peak. When I saw the Kate Sleeper I decided to redline it to West Sleeper to finish what I started from the Rollins Trail a year ago.

Now raining so heavy I had to remove my glasses, we returned to South Slide, descended down the Mt. Tripyramid trail, which seemed forever, crossing several roaring streams, now almost brooks. I looked forward to reaching the Livermore Trail only to discover a furious water crossing with several more patiently eager to swallow Ghostdog and me should we become careless, slip, or lose our balance. After the seemingly endless Livermore Road walk to the parking lot, at 5 pm I sat at the picnic table enjoying hot soup and coffee while Ghostdog had her dinner as we waited for our brave friends to return from their adventure. They returned via Scaur Ridge and Livermore about a half hour later. A very cool, wet, rainy, yet fun day to play in the mountains!

Great report Magic, as I enjoy reading your stories of hiking. Sounds like the rain held off for the afternoon, even after a deluge. Will you be posting pic?

It was all gray skies with poor visibility and no views at the higher elevations. I didn't even take pix of the overflowing stream and brook crossings. Actually I hiked Sunday for the aerobic aspect and just love being outdoors. The pouring rain started about 1 o'clock until about 3 pm. Thanks, Ridgewalker!

Thank you Ivy! You'll love exploring the trails on the westside of the Tri's. Three trails off the Greeley Ponds trail have exceptional views. Hope you can explore them. And the Flume is exceptionally beautiful with high water right now. Careful at the intersection of Flume Path and Old Skidder. So many blow downs the trail is obscured. Enjoy your adventures!

Nothing like a great day in the Sandwich Range Wilderness to soothe one's soul. Sure makes me want to return! How do you feel about backpacking for days on end?!

I'll add that Goodrich rock is HUGE and has great views from the top of it of Waterville Valley. Good place to hang out, lots of big boulders the trail meanders through on the way there too. Nice TR.