Tripyramids, Whiteface, & Passaconaway Traverse, 10/10/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 10, 2009: Tripyramids, Whiteface, and Passaconaway

Trails: Pine Bend Brook Trail, Mt. Tripyramid Trail, Kate Sleeper Trail, East Sleeper Spur, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail, Walden Trail, Square Ledge Trail, Passaconaway Cutoff, Oliverian Brook Trail

Summits: N. Tripyramid, M. Tripyramid, S. Tripyramid, W. Sleeper, E. Sleeper, Whiteface, Passaconaway

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Lawn Sale (Mark), Ian, Loanshark (Skip Otto) and me

A Kanc2Kanc traverse of the Tripyramids and Whiteface & Passaconaway is a hike we have been thinking about for a while. We enjoy hiking a traverse, this hike covers some really nice ground, and the car spot isn’t particularly tough. We all agreed to meet at Lincoln Woods to decide car spotting, etc. As planned, at ~5:30 – 5:45am we all hit the Lincoln Woods lot (Loanshark was early – too excited and couldn’t sleep). Then we set off for the trailhead lot of the Oliverian Brook Trail, our ending location. We quickly consolidated gear into one truck and returned to the Pine Bend Brook Trail and our hike. We were on trail a 6:30am, thirty minutes later than planned but we could make that up in the course of the hike. The planned hike offered new trail for each of us; Mark & Ian were completing their #42 - #45 peaks on the NH48 – the hike was all new for them, Skip was paying his first visit to the trails off the Kanc and the Kate Sleeper Trail, and Sue and I were seeing Square Ledge, Passaconaway Cutoff, and Oliverian Brook for the first time.

The first target was N. Tripyramid via Pine Bend Brook Trail. The trail was wet and had some mud from the recent rain but with care we all made it through the slippery leaves, slick roots, and green rocks without any problems at all. This trail is solid color right now and a great hike. Even with the late start, by the time we reached the junction with the Scaur Ridge Trail we had gained back roughly a third of the lost time without really trying. We were taking a relatively relaxed approach to the day looking forward to the clearing that was in the weather forecast. The weather forecast also predicted a pretty good wind from the northwest and we were starting to feel it once we reached the Scaur Ridge junction. Before long, additional layers came out.

We reached N. Tripyramid in the clouds and stopped long enough for a few summit pictures. Then, we were off for Middle Tripyramid with hopes the clouds would start to break up. There are a couple nice viewpoints at Middle Tripyramid and we were all hoping for the small reward. The hike to our next target was a short one and we arrived still in the clouds. Again, a few summit shots and we were gone. Perhaps we would have some views from the South Tripyramid Slide.

We cleared S. Tripyramid with the socked-in conditions and started down to the slide. As we reached the top of the slide the rain started. We made our way down the top section of the slide and across to the exit of the Kate Sleeper Trail. There, we stopped to pack our cameras and other electronic gear out of the rain.

The Kate Sleeper Trail is a more primitive place than the other trails. It seems the trail doesn’t get nearly the same level of traffic, and it shows. The trail is easy to follow and a really nice change to the other high-traffic areas. Sue and I passed through this area back in July and found the trail clogged with blowdowns. In some areas, bypass herd paths had developed around blowdown piles. The largest problem has been opened and the trail is again on its usual route. There are also a few new blowdowns since our prior visit but they’re generally easy to step over or crawl under. Along the way, the Kate Sleeper Trail passes over West Sleeper (stopped here for a quick snack) and a spur trail exists for access to the summit of East Sleeper – we made the side trip. Soon we were passing the top of the Downes Brook Trail and starting the climb to the Rollins Trail near the summit of Whiteface.

Generally back on plan we reached the Rollins Trail Junction – still in the clouds. Now I’m getting a little grumpy. I was looking forward to the views from Whiteface Ledges – not today. We briefly paused at the trails junction and continued left toward Whiteface. Here we also met the first other hikers for the day and we would see quite a few more before leaving the summit of Passaconaway. The Whiteface – Passaconaway loop was seeing quite a bit of traffic. On the way through we paused for a couple summit pictures at the Whiteface summit cairn and dead tree then made the hike around The Bowl to the Dicey’s Mill Trail junction. The usual mud pits are back but work the edges and you can get past with clean boots. As we made our way around The Bowl we saw quite a few other hikers moving in both directions. Roughly three-quarters of the way to the Dicey’s Mill Trail junction we were treated to some views, finally. The cloud cover was lifting and we could see south over Ferncroft, past the Ossipees, and on to Winnipesaukee. The summits of Whiteface and Passaconaway were still in the clouds. We hit the trails junction, made the turn, and were on the climb to Passaconaway. In only .9 miles and 750 feet of elevation we would be on our final summit for the hike. We were all hoping for the clouds to lift by the time we arrived.

Finally, at the open ledge near the summit of Passaconaway we had some views as a reward for our efforts. The views west, north, and east were great. The sky was still generally overcast but the clouds were now high. Even with the overcast conditions the fall colors were a real treat. Next, we made a quick visit to the treed summit of Passaconaway and then started our exit hike.

A short distance past the spur trail that goes down to a viewpoint from the Walden Trail is an open ledge next to the trail. We stopped again for more terrific views. In this case the views were mainly north, east, and south. The Walden Trail is a fun hike in either direction. It’s pretty steep and has a good amount of ledge to scramble past. Along the way down from the summit we came upon a couple additional viewpoints and more Kodak Moments. The exit from Passaconaway was a steep one that never really let up all of the way down to the Passaconaway Cutoff – Oliverian Brook trails junction. On the way we had some views back to the summit and the steepness of this approach was very obvious. The Passaconaway Cutoff had the only real “mud tests” for the day. There were a few mud pits that were more of a challenge to get past but we managed.

We reached the Oliverian Brook Trail and suddenly the steep descent came to an end. We were hiking a mild grade for the remaining 1.7 miles of our trip. I had expected to have the headlights out by the time we reached this point. We were still working in good light and it seemed we would make the trailhead before dark – and we did. The Oliverian Brook Trail was a quick run to the trailhead. There we quickly packed our gear, admired Ian’s new blister, and said our goodbyes. Mark and Ian were heading back to the TarryHo Campground while Skip, Sue, and I were making a quick stop at Lincoln Woods and then heading home.

Congratulations to Mark and Ian for 4K’s #42 through #45. A couple more hikes and you’ll be there. Well done! Hopefully we’ll hike together again soon – it was a fun day (I know – tell that to Ian’s foot). Thanks Skip – it’s always a pleasure to get together for a hike. Thanks Sue for another fun hike and for spending much of it at the lead setting a great pace.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Nice pictures, and sounds like quite a long hike! I wish my feet could do that. I hiked 7.5 miles yesterday and I can barely walk today. Keep em coming, I miss New England and seeing trips like this keeps me going.

grouseking

Nice pictures, and sounds like quite a long hike! I wish my feet could do that. I hiked 7.5 miles yesterday and I can barely walk today. Keep em coming, I miss New England and seeing trips like this keeps me going.

grouseking
Thanks, glad you like the pictures.

It was a pretty good hike but not too extreme, definitely a full day. The distance was a little less than a Bonds Traverse but the total elevation gain was roughly 30% greater than the S-N route. (18.7 miles, 5920 feet).

The only real disappointment for the day was the weather conditions. The forecasts all agreed the overcast would be generally gone by early afternoon and completely clear by ~4pm. That didn’t happen – not even close. With the great color and the various viewpoints along the hike route we should have been able to get some great foliage pictures. Perhaps we’ll do better on the next one. :rolleyes:

It was a great hike with great people. My pictures are here.
Thanks again Lawn Sale. You’re a real walking toy store. (big boy toys) Nice pictures. I hope Ian is back in the game soon. It was great to have you guys on the hike with us.

:cool:

kanc traverse

Great hike Earl. Too bad the weather didn't behave. It was a full but rewarding day. As usual good company. Mark and Ian, it was nice meeting you. I hope our paths cross again. Earl, next time you need to come up with something unusual. Enough of these traditional hikes.

great hike earl. that's a really enjoyable loop. a real easy "bike spot" too for any solo hikers considering it.
hope to get out on the trails with you guys sometime soon.

bryan

Earl, next time you need to come up with something unusual. Enough of these traditional hikes.
I'm working on it. A little less mainstream is almost always more fun! :D

Maybe tomorrow. :cool:

great hike earl. that's a really enjoyable loop. a real easy "bike spot" too for any solo hikers considering it.
hope to get out on the trails with you guys sometime soon.

bryan
Thanks Bryan.

We have a couple on our target list that may interest you. ;) I'll send a PM.

:D