TSA Regulations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
We are flying out to Colorado in a few weeks and have a stop in Atlanta. We are mailing our stove, fuel canister and knife to a friend in Denver. Im trying to figure out if I should mail our tent poles and stakes as well, or just check our bag. Our layover in Atlanta is 4 hours so it doesnt seem likely that they would lose our packs. I have researched a little about AirTran's policy but def figured the hiking community would be the way to go.
Here are some of the items Im questioning
Leki's
3 days worth of food
Poles and stakes
anything else I forgot

Obviously if we send our poles and stakes, we'll probably just carry our packs with us on the plane. Any info is greatly appreciated

You can put these in checked luggage with no worries. Could add the knife as well.

True, but since you're already shipping some stuff it might be worth shipping these items, too, if it allows you to avoid checking luggage. Check out the baggage fees versus shipping costs, as long as the cost of shipping everything would be equal or less than the cost of the stove shipping & the baggage fees.

Why are you flying/shipping food and a fuel canister? You can very easily get all of that stuff in Colorado. A little time with google, mapping out store locations, will allow you to minimize the time spent picking that stuff up. (Outdoor gear stores, such as REI, will often rent stoves, too.) Rick Steves recommends not even bringing toiletries, except for the absolute bare essentials.

Also, things shipped are less likely to get stolen, which is important if you are counting on having a particular piece of gear. Things get stolen from checked bags, especially if they are nice looking, and small enough to easily pocket (like a quality knife). I had an MP3 player stolen a few years ago; there was a nice note in the bag from TSA about how they had removed "the cigarette lighter" from the bag.

FWIW, I took hiking poles in my checked bag for use out West, and I was next to TSA checked bags Xray station at Bradley, where you walk your checked luggage to this station.

They put it right in the machine and immediately said they were going to open it, and were my locks TSA approved? Also be sure any liquid containers, nalgene and bladders, are wide open, caps off. They looked at those closely. I had them in a separate 1 gallon plastic bag. I hung around while they finished, not knowing what would happen if I just casually walked away....

I would be concerned about any freeze dried food with metal that would not allow the xrays to penetrate....

Last edited:
One of the things we do when flying is to look for a Good Will to purchase some of our car-camping gear such as pots/pans, coffee cups, plates, towels, etc. I also really need a pillow of particular style for comfort. I can pick one up easily at a discount store, and then usually donate to the last motel we stay in before flying home. I once carried food to Alaska - what a pain that was. Will never carry food with me again.

We've lost luggage once, on our return flight. Since then I have thought over carefully what I must bring with me and what I won't mind purchasing at my destination.

I put cardboard tip protectors on my hiking poles surround them with clothing to keep them from being bent, and store them in the checked soft luggage.
After passing through security many trips with it, last year a TSA employee asked what the tiny, folded, multitool was. When I opened it he saw the 2" blade, called it a knife and took it. From the look in his eye my guess it went home in his pocket.
I carry a large daypack as my carry on with expensive, fragile or indispensable items. Worst case, I'm carrying my hiking boots, empty bladder, hiking change of clothes, camera, batteries, charger, IPod. If the checked bag is misplaced on the way out, I have enough to keep going while they find the bag and bring it to where we're staying.
You can put a stove and fuel bottle in your checked luggage, but if either has had a petroleum product in them before, there's a chance 'sniffers', dog or machine, will discover them and may be confiscated, even if empty.

You can put a stove and fuel bottle in your checked luggage, but if either has had a petroleum product in them before, there's a chance 'sniffers', dog or machine, will discover them and may be confiscated, even if empty.

IIRC, two or three years ago, airline policies used to specifically OK unused, or clean stoves, such as a canister stove sans canister, or a thoroughly cleaned Whisperlite. However, when I flew to the Southwest last fall for a camping trip, the airline policy (United) prohibited stoves from checked luggage. My understanding is that individual airlines can prohibit items that the TSA allows.

Sad to see all this focus on used expediton stoves that are throughly cleaned and then the Boston Marathon bombing. Are our priorities maybe a bit skewed? I was glad to see the TSA say "oh on second thought no knives (even little ones) on carry-ons". Duh! A bit sad

Individual airlines may not be more liberal with regulations than the TSA guidelines, but they can be stricter.

I sympathize with in flight airline employees but can't envision a scenario where a 1" or 2" knife could bring down an airliner or get thru a steel reinforced cockpit door.
Don't have a problem with airlines not allowing used petroleum stoves or fuel bottles as checked luggage though it is a real inconvenience to people flying to camping or backpacking destinations. Split the cost of a new stove on arrival and have a postage paid cardboard box along and mail the stove back to yourself after the hike.

Last edited:

It seems like alcohol stoves wouldn't have this problem. Does anyone have experience flying with them?

Individual airlines may not be more liberal with regulations than the TSA guidelines, but they can be stricter.

I sympathize with in flight airline employees but can't envision a scenario where a 1" or 2" knife could bring down an airliner or get thru a steel reinforced cockpit door.
Don't have a problem with airlines not allowing used petroleum stoves or fuel bottles as checked luggage though it is a real inconvenience to people flying to camping or backpacking destinations. Split the cost of a new stove on arrival and have a postage paid cardboard box along and mail the stove back to yourself after the hike.

I am sorry that you lost your knife, but I think they could fine you $250 if you had displayed any attitude. See http://www.tsa.gov/civil-enforcement-policies

The 4inch rule only applies to scissors http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

We went last month to Zion National park to camp and hike. We flew Southwest and we checked in all of our camping and hiking gear, including hiking poles, tent, cooking stuff and personal items. We didn't send fuel because we thought it would be an unnecessary risk, and we bought a bottle of fuel near the entrance of the National park. On the way back TSA opened the bag but nothing seemed to be missing (they left the standard paper to notify us on this).

We enjoyed the no baggage fee up to 50 pounds per person on Southwest flights and it saved us a lot of money. AirTran is now owned by Southwest and I believe under certain conditions baggage fees are waved for AirTran flights as well. You should look into it.

Wouldn't give them a hard time, they have it tough enough. I did point out that many other TSA screeners at many airports have taken it out, examined it and handed it back to me to put back in the pack.

Wouldn't give them a hard time, they have it tough enough. I did point out that many other TSA screeners at many airports have taken it out, examined it and handed it back to me to put back in the pack.

Yes the enforcement is not uniform which is very frustrating. But I don't your multi-tool will ever show up at a government auction somewhere either. I really don't like flying anywhere anymore.

If it matters, REI and a couple other good stores are just 5 minutes off I-70 in downtown Denver as you head West. It's very well stocked, and there are a couple other non-chain stores there too which are worth exploring. Cool area too, right near Confluence Park which is a fun if artificial place to kayak on the South Platte, assuming there is still any flow in the river when you get here!!

Use a cat stove and pick-up some denatured at a gas station. :)

Also, poles are fine to check, but aren't specifically banned via the 'prohibited item list' on the TSA site: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#5

If they are collapsible, then I would try shoving them in your carry on. If not, then I'd treat them like ski poles and check them. They'll always use the caveat of 'or anything that can be used as a weapon', which is literally ANYTHING.

True, but since you're already shipping some stuff it might be worth shipping these items, too, if it allows you to avoid checking luggage. Check out the baggage fees versus shipping costs, as long as the cost of shipping everything would be equal or less than the cost of the stove shipping & the baggage fees.

Why are you flying/shipping food and a fuel canister? You can very easily get all of that stuff in Colorado. A little time with google, mapping out store locations, will allow you to minimize the time spent picking that stuff up. (Outdoor gear stores, such as REI, will often rent stoves, too.) Rick Steves recommends not even bringing toiletries, except for the absolute bare essentials.

Couple of reasons, cant fly with a fuel canister, plus we are flying into Denver on the 4th of July so some places are closing earlier than usual, called most the places in Breck and Frisco and they may be closed by the time we get there. We land at 2:30 and just dont want to chance it, esp if we get delayed, but I just sent it to my buddy that is picking us up. I figured Id just do the duffle bag route and loosely pack everything in the bag so there would be no issue with tearing up our packs. I have a guidebook and a fairly good lay of the land. I have gotten mixed information about stoves, especially pocketrocket types. We are flying airtran and they just recently changed policy about knives and that sort. Plus with the current burn ban that just went into effect, I need to carry a canister. We only just recently acquired a ride with a friend of ours.
What if I check the duffles with our pack and carried my Food Bag, with food and my valuable stuff in it as well as. We have some dietary restriction so there are some items we would like to carry.....

Use a cat stove and pick-up some denatured at a gas station. :)

Also, poles are fine to check, but aren't specifically banned via the 'prohibited item list' on the TSA site: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#5

If they are collapsible, then I would try shoving them in your carry on. If not, then I'd treat them like ski poles and check them. They'll always use the caveat of 'or anything that can be used as a weapon', which is literally ANYTHING.
we anticipated the burn ban that just went into effect for Park County to expand by the time we get there