tumbledown, little jackson, jackson 6/15/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 6/15/13

trails: parker ridge trail, tumbledown ridge trail, tumbledown mountain trail, little jackson mountain trail, jackson mountain trail

conditions: the dirt road to reach parker ridge trailhead is off of byron road a short distance from 142 and is unmarked. parking is limited with a steep pitch to the upper area. the road itself is in good condition. parker ridge trail was a mix of wet and dry footbed becoming rugged higher up and eventually turning to a mostly continuous ledge walk. tumbledown ridge trail was more open dry ledge walking. signage and markings were generally good. from the west peak we doubled back a short distance and followed an unsigned trail over to the main summit of tumbledown that was well cairned along its route. i have one map that does not show it and another that shows it as tumbledown mountain trail. from there we connected to the trail heading up little jackson from above tumbledown pond signed as little jackson mountain trail, but not appearing on either of my maps. it was vague at first then easy to follow up to the summit of little jackson. more dry ledges led down to the col with jackson and the jackson mountain trail had a nice lighly travelled footbed up to its summit. some wet and muddy spots on little jackson trail back to the parker ridge trail and parking area. a couple minor brook crossings along the route that were a non issue.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a truly spectacular hike. these peaks had not been on my radar until hearing about them through eric and jeremy. i also caught a glimpse from the slopes of elephant this past winter that looked pretty cool too. it was a perfect day for the almost continuous open ridge walking on tumbledown and for the open summit of little jackson. great views in all directions. thanks to eric and jeremy for an awesome hike.

bryan

[email protected]