Twins to Bonds Oct 16th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, it has been brought to my attention, thanks to Little Sister and MEB, that there are 3 river crossings on the North Twin Trail that 'could be treatcherous' (as in stay close to ze candles). We could head up the Gale River Trail, have they replaced the bridge yet? Is it still there? I seem to remember a leap of faith into Ranger Rick's arms on the second river crossing a few months back. (which was okay with me ;) ) This route would make it easier for anyone who wanted to see Galehead for the first or second time to get there. This would cut North Twin out of the plan, unless people wanted to go and tag that too...
I would offer to cook breakfeast, but gosh, I don't have anything skimpy to wear. ;)

river crossings

you can avoid the river crossings by bushwacking up side of river.everyone does it.i plan on being there but may only do twins out and back.. :mad:

Ayuh. You can avoid the two lower crossings simply by not making the first one. Stay on the old road / sorta-trail along the river until the trail crosses back. You will have to make the eventual crossing, but up higher it should be the easiest.

I would suspect that you will need to take your boots off, though. After an afternoon of pouring rain, this is what Cantdog and I found: perfectly safe, just wet.

Most importantly - you will see the Little River all along this route, as well as even driving over it back on Rte 3, so you know before even starting exactly what you're in for, and can regroup if necessary.

Drewski, I might do Twins out and back as well. We'll see how my ankle is doing that day because I will be hiking Old Speck on Sat.

Are we having another bake-off, or what? The last one was excellent! :p

Sounds great! I'm new to this group hiking thing . . . so . . . is there anything I need to bring . . . like . . . for the group?? I'm used to solo hiking but am looking forward to the whole "group" experience . . . OK OK, I just didn't want to hike the Bonds alone!! :) See ya all around 6am at Lincoln Woods.

Not on MY trip!!
Baked goods are always welcome, and extra water maybe. :)
Or, you could whip up a bacon and eggs breakfeast for everyone at Lincoln woods...
But really, just a fun loving attitude and interest in hiking is needed.
Glad to have you along.

North Twin Trail

Gale River Bridge was not there in mid August...
North Twin crossings can be a bear...a friend of mine did them once when they were over chest high...not for me thanks! If I rmember correctly, the last one is the worst one and it cannot be bushwhacked around...
I am not sure how much rain there has been up north this week...
Be careful!

sapblatt said:
Gale River Bridge was not there in mid August...
North Twin crossings can be a bear...a friend of mine did them once when they were over chest high...not for me thanks! If I rmember correctly, the last one is the worst one and it cannot be bushwhacked around...
I am not sure how much rain there has been up north this week...
Be careful!
I would like to interject that I believe the last one (the third, from the trailhead and yes, the one you cannot BW around) is the easiest. There are plenty of opportunities to get wet on this crossing but they're far less than the other two.

-Dr. Wu

Hey guys,

Guess I can't make this one. I am carpooling with a bunch of other ppl who wouldn't necessarily be interested in this hike :confused: . Anyway, have an awesome time!!

bond trv

not going to make hike.still suffering from stomach bug.spent all night on thethrone doing you know what..very upset because this will be great hike with great crew .have fun.hope to see you all soon

mt.drew :eek: :eek:

Okay, what is the general concensus on this one? Will the water be to high to go? I did my grocery shopping intown today, and the Saco was HUGE, almost up to the covered bridge! Are the river crossings going to be doable? Maybe because I live so close it is easy for me to wait for better weather, but I will do whatever the majority votes for. ;)
Rain doesn't bother me, wind doesnt bother me, monsoons, hum, not quite sure about that.
I will check the board later this evening, I am off to dinner with friends, who are already trying to talk me out of hiking tomorrow. Obviously non hikers.

OK Im out

I can take windy.( supposed to be gusting up to 40mph down low) I can take water.(record high levels for this time of year all over the state) But adding them together with a possible high of only about 45-50 degrees for 18 miles, some of which will be after nightfall, and scattered showers to boot?
That is a recipe for hyperthermia or at the very least a miserable day. I dont think its worth it to go. I am backing out. I feel bad because the Twins and the Bonds are two of my favorite alltime areas to be in. But I just dont see myself walking on the Twinway in the predicted conditions with 6-8 people whos pace, style and personal thresholds I am barely familiar with. (Can you imagine if we got strung out like on the FRT? yikes.)

Its funny, if it was 25 degrees colder outside , Id be chomping at the bit to make a stab at this traverse or at least part of it. C,mon snow.....
Id be up for something much less ambitous like Cabot, Waumbek or maybe the Osceolas?

There will be other weekends when the Bonds will offer their views.

Cabot is so boring with no views :( ... and so very far North ... totally doable though. I was thinking Osceolas worst-case scenario myself (I love that hike), but I was crossing my fingers that it would warm up a bit and we'd just suck it up and go do the Twin-Bonds. I am probably too stupid to make such decisions though ... I do a lot of dumb things for the sake of just triyin' em'!! And darn it,they're on my list and it's been raining forever!!! :(

What do other people think???

I'm still in... Hoping to meet people at Lincoln Woods tomorrow morning at sixish. If that is OUT, please let me know asap!!! Will have trouble checking email tonight.

Happy 30th Birthday Chinooktrail!
;)
- LenDawg

I think I'm going to have to go with coldmountain on this one. I hate to back out because I've been looking forward to this, its a fun hike with some great people, but I don't think its going to work. :(

The weather is really not looking much better tomorrow and the prospect of any views looks dim ... I'm bummed about it, but I am going to save this for a better day and find something doable for tomorrow .... or i'll be heading to the gym ... again :(.