Two fox sightings in four days

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On Friday I was walking up the Hubbard Brook Road when I saw a beautiful fox. S/he did not want her/his picture taken, and kept just too far for me to get a picture.

Today (Monday) I got out of the car at the Crawford depot, and before crossing the rails saw a fox on the other side. This one was much less skittish, and I got a few photos. Two follow:

P1000472.JPG

P1000468.JPG

Today (Monday) I got out of the car at the Crawford depot, and before crossing the rails saw a fox on the other side. This one was much less skittish, and I got a few photos.
I saw one at the Crawford Depot a week ago, it was so bold I thought it might have rabies but being in my car I didn't worry

I saw one at the Crawford Depot a week ago, it was so bold I thought it might have rabies but being in my car I didn't worry

Food litter > mice > foxes. Some of then get fairly tolerant of humans in order to exploit the easy pickin's. I have some similar shots from the Eielson Visitor Center at Denali. (The grey fox in our neighborhood is still nocturnal, nonetheless -- saw him again this evening.)

There must be something going on with the foxes at this particular time. Perhaps mating season, or whatever!

Less than a week ago I saw a car pulled over near the Highland Center with the driver tossing food out the car window to the fox. Then, on the same day, just a few minutes later, I saw a car pulled over at the Mt. Washington Hotel viewing area, and the exact same thing was happening, i.e. someone tossing food out their window to feed a fox next to their car. It was déjà vu all over again!

Less than a week ago I saw a car pulled over near the Highland Center with the driver tossing food out the car window to the fox. Then, on the same day, just a few minutes later, I saw a car pulled over at the Mt. Washington Hotel viewing area, and the exact same thing was happening, i.e. someone tossing food out their window to feed a fox next to their car. It was déjà vu all over again!

It kills me when I hear of people feeding wildlife!!

I may have seen the same fox at the Highland Ctr about 10 days ago. Was eating breakfast and a fox sat down outside the window for several minutes, looking in. Later someone said it was seen being fed by someone in the parking lot.

Check my avatar. It was taken at one of the aforementioned locations. He ran up to me as I drove in one morning being the first one there. On another occasion I was the second one on site and he was already being fed by the first staff member to arrive.

Of course you have the summit fox that begs up and down Lions Heads too.

It appears it’s not uncommon. Probably makes for a good tourist attraction also.

- LNT -

I was up at the HC last spring and there was a fox hanging out near the front entrance - it wasn't interested in letting anyone get too close, but it was dancing back and forth like it was considering a run at the door.

One of the guys from the front desk and shooed it away. He said there were a couple of foxes that had taken up residence in the area, and the staff were worried they'd get too comfortable around people and get themselves in trouble.

apparently rabies destroyed about 80% of the fox population in the NE around 20 years ago and they've rebounded well since then. I was approached by a disoriented/groggy racoon while fishing about 20 years ago and I know rabid fox occasionally attack. My local sighting last year was one that had mange/mites. At least yours look very healthy. I think competition with coyote are affecting the local population here, also.

IMG_3090.JPG

On my way back to Albany from teaching in Jackson yesterday I saw a nice healthy adult heading North right along Rte. 16. No idea if he was AT-thru hiking, but he didn't have his thumb out for a ride. ;)

My guess is that this is one of the Crawford foxes that I almost ran over in the early evening on my drive to Highland Center after hiking Isolation on Saturday. What seemed strange is that the fox ran across the highway right at the foot of the Elephant; perhaps it had just rapped off a climbing route? :)

Last edited:
We just had two foxes walk across our backyard here in Twin two minutes ago. Very cool.

Lot of foxes around here too. Our home's in a hemlock and birch forest with tons of squirrels and chipmunks so there's always lots of food for them. We see them every week, even the occasional grey fox.

Must sleep up on the C-Path, I was about five minutes up the C-path from the HC center when I met the fox coming down the trail. I got a couple of poor pictures on my BlackBerry as he (or she) walked around me & then got back on the trail heading down to the HC.

Very cool video.
I was in Yellowstone in the fall a few years ago. I'd love to see it in winter.

Yesterday (Sunday 5/2/2010) I saw a fox, possibly the one in my original post, in the Crawford Path parking lot. S/he watched us as we packed our gear post hike, clearly not afraid. Looked very healthy, so we were not worried about rabies, and suspected that it was used to being fed at Highland Center (see earlier posts in this thread). As we were exiting the lot we saw it chasing a squirrel, who did manage to escape up a tree.

I saw this fox in the Highland Center parking lot on Saturday (5/1/10). It could be the same fox that Mohamed and others saw, but I can't tell one fox from another.

It stopped about 10 feet from me in the parking lot as I was getting my hiking poles out of my trunk. I looked at me for a few seconds, and walked away behind the cars and eventually back into the middle of the road.