Two questions(overnight parking & maps)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undershaft

Reaction score
I have two questions today. First, is overnight parking allowed at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge? It would be a Sunday night if that matters.

Second, Do any of you have opinions as to the best maps for the WMNF? I currently have a three year old DeLorme map (1:100,000) that shows a vast number of trails and info and is adequate for the hiking I do(little to no bushwhacking, 3 season). Since I will be doing more hiking in the Whites this fall and next year(I'm totally hooked on the quest for the NH 4ks) I'm looking into better maps that show more details. 1:100,000 scale is a little to big for what I want. Maybe 1:62,500 or so. Any suggestions?

Can't help you on the parking at Moosilauke Ravine Lodge - hopefully Dave Metsky willl see you post and answer - he is the resident expert on that area.

We use a map of the White Mountains from Map Adventures available at EMS and other shops. I think the AMC may even sell it now, as does many gas stations in the Whites.

as bob and geri recomended.
trail adventures map hands down. no doubt.
the mileage on the map is super useful; especially if you scan the area of the map you'll be hiking in and print it out on waterproof 8x10 paper.
they also did a great job with the shading, easy to read contours

You can park overnight at the lodge, no problem. No sleeping in your car, but that doesn't sound like what you are asking. If you are planning on camping up there, it is only allowed at the Beaver Brook shelter. It's private land and no other camping is allowed. No WMNF parking sticker is needed up at the lodge. In winter you do need one to park in the plowed out area on Rt 118.

As for maps, I really like the various AMC section maps. They are a great scale for hiking and the smaller size means they don't get in the way on the trail.

-dave-

Another plug for the Map Adventures maps. Really nice maps! (their guide, which is tied to some of the numbers on the map, isn't as comprehensive as the AMC guide though)

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I also use the Map Adventures map. It has mileages printed for most sections of trails which makes it easy to calculate the total mileage of a hike that includes several trails. Unfortunately, the contour intervals are metric which takes a little getting used to. Instead of using 30 minutes per 1000 ft. elevation gain, use 10 minutes per 100 meters.

I'll also stand behind that Map Adventures map. I use that one the most and even make a scaled down copy of the exact area we may be hiking that day just to keep the small printout right in my pocket nice and handy instead of opening up the whole map during a hike. But I have the AMC ones and a Delorme one and some other one, but I ALWAYS go back to that Map Adventures one. Best one in my book hands down. And the one I have is now 4 years old, so the newer one may even be better now.

I like the Adventure Maps for planning, prefer the AMC maps in the field, and use the DeLorme map for "redlining". I also collect snowmobile, xc ski and other local maps since I'll occasionally borrow these trails in any season and they aren't typically shown anywhere else.