Type of Cord for Ultralight Tarps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic Shakedown

Reaction score
Just purchased a GoLite Ultralite 4 for a bike tour I will be leaving for on Thursday. Want to check out the dimensions tonight and set it up out back, but wanted to see what people recommended for cordage. I have used the basic parachute cord before and find that it stretches way too much when wet causing a saggy tarp. Anybody have other ideas? Would only be tying releasable knots so am not worried about thin cord becoming knotted. REI carry anything good? Hardware stores?

Nylon stretches when wet, so I'd suggest some other kind of cord than anything nylon based... or simply use something like a prussik so you can tighten the guylines as they get stretched... ;)

Jay

Try a nautical supply store. Dacron lines are specifically used in many nautical applications because they do not stretch when wet.

Some tents have dacron flies for the same reason.

Doug

Kelty makes Triptease reflective cord, thin and very light, holds as knots well as the marine lines - probably better since the sheath has some "tooth". The stuff is as absolute PITA to cut -- you need wire cutters. Costs a small ransom too unless you find it on sale.

Jim

Triptease

Because of the tooth it has, Kelty's triptease doesn't slide over branches easily, and when it does, it can cut into tree. Check out the spectra choices at Backpackinglight.com. Really light and tree-friendly. Expensive, yes.

Good thoughts here. Thanks. Would order the spectra online, but I'll be leaving in three days and will have to find a quick fix.

GNR said:
Check out the spectra choices at Backpackinglight.com. Really light and tree-friendly. Expensive, yes.
IIRC, spectra requires some special handling. See, for example, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_2_spectra_cord.html.

I have seen very small diameter spectra (or something similar) used to secure a hammock fly. It was very light and probably strong enough, but it was so small that it was very hard to handle and tie/untie knots.

Doug

You're supposed to keep Spectra/Dyneema away from excessive heat as it has something to do with melting the fibers.. i.e. don't put it in the trunk and leave it at the trailhead kind of stuff..

Jay

Jay H said:
You're supposed to keep Spectra/Dyneema away from excessive heat as it has something to do with melting the fibers.. i.e. don't put it in the trunk and leave it at the trailhead kind of stuff..
There are also issues about how to cut it and secure the end, etc. The link that I provided notes that it does not hold knots well. (IIRC, in climbing, it is often used in factory-sewn slings rather than in any appication where you would have to tie your own knot.)

The Kelty Triptease or simple 1/8 inch nylon are both fairly easy to use and should do the job. Since the OP is in a hurry, I'd just get one of these and worry about the exotic stuff later, if at all.

Doug

PS--one other thought--very small diameter cord (ie <1/8 inch) is also likely to be rather hard on any vegetation it is tied to.

Last edited:
Go to EMS and buy 135 ft of 5mm climbing utility cord in a dark color.

Cut it into 8 pieces:
60ft - bear bag rope
20ft - clothes line for hotel rooms, and one end of tarp.
5@10ft - tarp
5ft - tarp and little stuff on your pack.

Cut and singe the edges by burning them with a lighter until a little moltem ball is created - air dry, don't burn your fingers.

Don't complain about the price - they will serve you for 30+ years
Don't cut them again just pick the correct length.

Then learn how to tie a taughtline hitch.