Ultralight 2 person tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more ultralight 2 person tent for bike touring, got the latest backcountry.com catalog and they list an interesting thing:

a Mountain Hardware Waypoint 2 which they claim to be 3lbs... Looks like a 1 pole hoop tent with ceiling windows and get this: 2 doors! Must be some serious thin material/zipper to get all that in 3lbs, although I'm sure the lack of the 2nd pole is good.

[edit] Oops, upon further review, looks like it has a tiny 2nd pole at the feet and also 1 door. I'll have to see if Campmor or EMS has one on display. A single wall tent looks like something I need and it can't require hiking poles. Unless I could subsitute a bike pump for them. How about sticks???? Has anybody tried using sticks as a substitude for hiking poles, that would really lighten the load and space. :)

It would replace a moderate weight Walrus Zoid 2.0 which is somewhere in the 4lb range.

Going to have to pack ultralight for a cycle tour (for me and a friend) to maine and my tent is one of the things I'm looking at lowering weight.

Jay

Last edited:
MH Waypoint 2

Jay I bought a Waypoint 2 beginning of last year.
I did not like it on several accounts:

Doors open over head so if it is raining well you better move your bag out of the way before you get out.

Condensation problems. the vents along the bottom perimeter are a good idea but I don't think the upper vents are adequate.

For two people there is no storage under cover again single wall designs inherent flaw and it is pretty cozy (read sardines in a can)tight.

I will agree it is light,however I bit the bullet and went back to my REI half dome with fly and when I solo I have a Hennessy Hammock, which I love.

Thats my 2 cents.

Good luck
Al

Thanks Ajtiv, they do look really snug, but I 'm going to try to see if Campmor or EMS has one that I can try out. I gather, being a single wall tent, it has no vestibule?

Funny, looking at MH's website, it is probably only about 8 to 9 ozs lighter than my Walrus Zoid and I know the Zoid is a nice tent for the weight. It's roomy for me, has 2 doors, and has lots of vestibule space. it just isn't as ventilated as some of the newer MSR Zoid ones or other tents.

I might just stick with the zoid, based on some reviews. I saw a websites reviewing a bunch of single wall tents, the MH seems to stack up weight wise very well, considering alot of the lighter ones require hiking poles.

Jay

I'd go with a 12' silnylon tarp. You already have a decent light weight tent, single wall tents have condensation problems in the NE and the tarp can cover the bikes as well.

If I was going for a lightweight tent I'd look at Hillderberg, but they are double walled.

Hey Warren, I would use a tarp except I'm not entirely sure how comfy my friend would be without the bug cover. I've thought of the tarp thing myself as I've slept outside under the stars in the moonlight in Alaska before, thinking the flying bugs might be bad but in fact, once dusk goes away, it's not bad at all. However, the ground bugs might not sit well with my friend. I'll have to ask him.

I saw some posts about tarptents, such as the ones from Henry Shires... Looks interesing, between the Squall and the Cloudburst... That seems to be a good compromise between lightness and true shelter with the zipped up groundcloth.

Jay

I carry a bug bivy if I'm concerned about bugs- it can be problem around dawn sometimes.

The tarp tents look interesting but I wonder about wind sturdiness. A tarp lacks that but I'll carry a bivy of some sort in most cases. Works well. I'm looking into hammocks for summer trips at the moment.

TNF Tadpole 23

After a fair amount of research, I just bought a Tadpole 23 by North Face. Got it for $159 at EMS. Will use it for the first time this weekend.

It weighs in around 3.5 lbs and is free standing. Has three skinny DAC poles and a very taut pitch. It looks a bit snug for two, but it does offer a vestibule.

I am skeptical about single wall tents in warm wx. I think condensation is a problem for most when outside and inside temps are almost the same.

I also have used a bivvy in the summer and, as long as no rain is expected, it's OK. However, if it does rain, you got a mess on your hands!

A recent Issue of Backpacker (April?) had a comprehensive section on 3-season tents, including ultra-lites from Go-Lite, MSR, TNF and others. You might want to check it out.

cb

Tents

The Tadpole is an absolute GREAT tent, but it is a little cosy for two. One of you needs to be small, or both of you need to be "medium" size to have a good night. I am 6' and my gf is 5'2" and we have no problem with the tent. I am really very happy with this tent.

However, I would not take this tent on a long hike because of its weight. Its close to 4 lbs and that is just too much. For ultralite options, you have a couple. The best option that I have heard about is the Wanderlust 2-4-2:

http://wanderlustgear.com/tents.htm

Its extemly light and had a ton of room. I have heard nothing but good things about this tent. However (there is always a but) Kurt Russell (the tent maker) is extremly backed up with work, and I have heard that there have been problems with him getting tents out in a timely fashon. Make sure that you talk to him, pin him down to a time, and dont expect the tent until next year.

There is another option... the Tarptemp Squall:

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

I hav heard good things about this tent as well, and I know that you can get them in a timely fashon. The only bad thing about these tents is just how open they are. You need to take great care in picking the direction that you pitch the tent. Since it is open at both ends, you want to make sure that you keep the tent perpendicular to the wind, so that rain wont blow in. That being said, they are supposed to be great.

Since I'm primary intention is to use this for bike touring and below treeline, in fact, mostly "car camping" except switch the car to a bike and you see what I mean. I think the wind would not be as big a factor. Shires also now makes an extended beak which is also supposed to be more effective against wind and rain.

As I leave in about 2 weeks, I gather the wanderlust would not be an option....

I dunno, I will talk to the Shires folks and ask them about availability, if not, I might just bite the bullet and take my Zoid. I've used and carried it before when bike touring and I guess I know it's proven.

Jay

Spoke to Henry Shires via email and he says that July 28th is not a problem, just get in the queue so I did and hopefully will be the happy owner of a Cloudburst soon.

I'll have to report on how good/bad it is condensation wise....

Jay

This may be late but I was just reading in a cycling magazine about a tent that uses the bike handlebars as support for the tent. I can try and find it if you want.

I am interested to hear about that tent, so if you could find it, that would be cool. Thanks, daxs.

If I was solo tripping, I would bring my Hammock, thinking I could use my bike as a pole if there wasn't any trees to hang them from and perhaps a picnic table on the other end.

I'd be interested in that tent too if you could find it...

Jay