Under Our Skin - Ticks! - at UNH Manchester

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
What: Film Screening: Under Our Skin
When: Tuesday, April 13, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
Where: UNH Manchester, 400 Commercial Street, 3rd Floor, Manchester, NH

Formal Description: "The documentary film is a frightening expose about how the medical system is failing to address one of the most serious epidemics of our times. A dramatic tale of microbes, medicine and money, this eye-opening film investigates the untold story of Lyme disease, an emerging epidemic larger than AIDS."

My Opinion: Very interesting film about something I'm learning more about nearly every day. Most people I mention Lyme Disease to have either had a deer tick bite them or know someone who has. Lyme Disease is difficult to detect, with many tests coming back as negative, when the person is actually more deeply infected than can be identified in tests. There is a huge list of symptoms people can experience that point to Lyme or other illnesses; sometimes they are diagnosed with another disease while the Lyme hides and becomes chronic and more difficult to treat.

Extra: Go out together for a beer afterwards?

How many cases of lime disease are reported every year? I don't know of anyone getting it. I've never been bitten by a tick.

Should I wear a helmet for protection? ;)

The CDC lists (I think) 27 cases in NH in 1999, but 1211 (I think) in 2006. But, the CDC numbers are for surveillance and the actual cases are much higher. Their criteria calls for five bands of testing results and are not intended to be used as diagnostic information. People can suffer from Lyme with fewer bands. (I think of it as being "a little pregnant.")

The reporting of Lyme Disease is difficult because of misconceptions and poor testing. According to the government, though, the numbers are going up each year. Part of that is because of a better understanding by doctors of what they are seeing in their patients with Lyme. Only half of those with Lyme recall a tick bite, or a rash, and testing misses a lot -- only estimated to be 65% accurate.

The ELISA test is reported to miss 35% of culture-proven Lyme. Another test, the Western Blot, shows 20-30% remaining seronegative.

As they say, it's complicated.

There is a lot of controversy with Lyme. A well recognized web site is www.ilads.org.

All local testing of my blood was negative for Lyme.

How many cases of lime disease are reported every year? I don't know of anyone getting it. I've never been bitten by a tick.

Here's a little more information on how many cases are reported: "Dr. Dora Anne Mills of the Maine Center of Disease Control says 50 cases of Lyme disease were reported in the state in January and February 2010. That's up from a 5-year average of 15 for those 2 months."
http://wbztv.com/wireapnewsme/Warm.weather.blamed.2.1610432.html

I think if you began mentioning Lyme to people you know, you'd find that many have direct experience or know someone who has. Many don't like to talk about it, for some reason.

In this case, no helmet necessary! :D

Funny you should mention Maine

MY wife, son, dog, and I were visiting the in-laws in Maine this past weekend and decided to walk their tree farm for a couple of hours. When we got back my wife found 3 ticks on her, I had one, I think my son had two, and the dog had at least one even after we shampooed him. They were all still crawling around looking for a place to burrow in.
We skirted a cedar swamp where we know the deer yard, but even knowing that we were surprised by the number we found. They are out there. Check after every hike.
My wife has a cousin who had undiagnosed Lyme for years. It is nothing to be trifled with. If you suspect you have Lyme disease get treatment right away. Push your doctor hard if you have to.
I'd love to see the film, but I'm working too far away to get there.

Thanks for sharing your recent experience in Maine. This won't help your dog, but I have learned that running clothes through a hot dryer cycle kills the ticks.

This won't help your dog, but I have learned that running clothes through a hot dryer cycle kills the ticks.

Thanks for the tip, Ellen. It is almost unreal how many ticks are in Maryland. Practically anytime we are hiking in the woods, we pick up a few. I've heard a lot of scary stories of what can happen if the disease is not diagnosed properly. We try to take as many precautions as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the film, it's on our Netflix Quere - no release date yet.

Donna:)

I had Lyme last summer, and my hubby had Babesiosis, which is another tick borne disease. The infectious disease doc refers to it as a weak sister of malaria. He had high fevers on and off for two weeks before they figured out what was wrong. The white footed deer mouse can be a carrier. Now there are three different Lyme type diseases. Lyme, Babesiosis, and Erchlichosis. Not to be trifled with. We may have been bitten by the nymph stage of the deer tick down in Westport, MA.:mad:

I had Lyme last summer, and my hubby had Babesiosis, which is another tick borne disease. The infectious disease doc refers to it as a weak sister of malaria. He had high fevers on and off for two weeks before they figured out what was wrong. The white footed deer mouse can be a carrier. Now there are three different Lyme type diseases. Lyme, Babesiosis, and Erchlichosis. Not to be trifled with. We may have been bitten by the nymph stage of the deer tick down in Westport, MA.:mad:

Not to be triffled with is right. Birds can also be carriers, I've learned. And as your husband experienced with the babesiosis, co-infections are potential and must also be treated.