Unknown Pond info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amantio

Reaction score
Greetings all,

With the abundant sunshine and clear weather forecast for this weekend, I was hoping to bag Cabot via Unknown Pond this weekend with an overnight stay at the UP tentsites. Querey: are the tentsites equipped with a bear box and, if not, what precautions ought to be taken in this regard?

Regrds,

Amantio

I hope folks have far more recent data but the last time was out that way (5 years plus or minus) there were no bear boxes but there were plenty of trees to tie a bear line. I dont think this area gets enough use for bears to be an issue.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. No bear box. There are signs directing campers to hang their food, which I did. Be sure to bring a nice long line with you. I did not see any evidence that bears had been around; but it pays to be careful , and hanging keeps other wildlife out of your food as well.

Have a nice hike, and be sure not to miss the side trail to Horn - just a short detour to a real gem of a mountain.

See photos from our Unknown Pond/Horn/Cabot trip here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32876400@N08/sets/72157624564550383/with/4875868723/

I should also add the caveat that abundant sunshine and clear weather were forecast the weekend I did this hike - and I believe that most of the state had that weather - but it was cool and mostly cloudy this far north. Still nice, though.

Last edited:
I've seen signs of bears, but never bothered by them nor seen them in person, and I've camped in that area a couple dozen times.

Hang your food, if not for the bears then for the mice. We camped there a few years ago and had mice on our packs within 20 minutes of dropping them at the tentsite. We hung the food from a tree and had no further problem. Also saw a moose beside the pond.

As others have said, there is nothing provided for securing your food so bring line. It is a beautiful area. Follow the campsite path all the way up before selecting your site. The loveliest sites are those at the upper end, IMHO.
-vegematic

Follow the campsite path all the way up before selecting your site. The loveliest sites are those at the upper end, IMHO.
-vegematic

I agree. I took the first available site, and wished later I had gone all the way to the top. A bit farther to the privy from there; but worth the privacy and some view. Someone had built an illicit fire ring up there, which should probably be dismantled.

Thanks for all the info, folks. It's hard to believe with all this rain in SE Mass that we're in for a beautiful weekend, but I do think this will come together. If it does, I get to knock off # 47, setting the table for the big finish on Carrigan :)