US/Canada Border Question for Boundary Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akafuzzjones

Reaction score
I was hoping to get the six-pack peaks up in northern Maine out of the way in early July and planned to follow the shorter routes described elsewhere on-line by Papa Bear, Bob & Geri, and others. They mention crossing over into Canada – I have no problems with that. It’s the getting back into the United States where I have some questions. :confused: I am not asking anyone to interpret US/Canada border policies but the US State Department site now states that for US Citizens to return to the US they need a passport or some other official documents. It seems like the days of a driver’s license and birth certificate are gone. I am fine but my hiking partner’s passport expired last month. :(

So my question – is there a similar route from the US side or should we chance it and run the risk of having to leave my girlfriend at the border if she can’t get back in? :rolleyes:

The route from the Canadian side is very easy, (unless you screw up like we did and get lost), but requires ID and I guess by now a passport. We didn't need a passport 2 years ago when we went by that route.
The route from the U.S. side is much longer and involves a bushwack. In addition,you may (accidentally or otherwise) cross onto Canadian territory in the process. Although it is unlikely this area is patrolled, who knows?
What the heck, if caught just learn French

Even when you approach from the Canadian side, you're going out to the border swath and walking the swath, probably making countless "illegal" crossings for that mile or two as you meander along the border, and the canister itself is in the US.

That said, coming from ZEC Louise Gosford is, if your papers are up to date, far easier (and climb Gosford while you're there ... it's quite beautiful, I'm told, and Boundary doesn't take long) than the US route, which involves bushwhacking to Whitecap (easy), bushwhacking to the 3450' on the border (more difficult, no herd paths, and nothing anywhere around if you get lost), then a long walk on the swath, which is hot, buggy, mucky down low, and on the CA side full of salt licks and hunters' blinds - do NOT go in hunting season!

The route from the U.S. side is much longer and involves a bushwack. In addition,you may (accidentally or otherwise) cross onto Canadian territory in the process. Although it is unlikely this area is patrolled, who knows?
What the heck, if caught just learn French

The bushwack is quite enjoyable and allows for the option of getting White Cap and N Ken (and the 3510 peak) , but...the swath is pretty unbearable in JULY -- think muck, mud, itchy weeds, biting insects the size of helicopters..but hey, that might be just your thing. We opted for this approach our first time around but had to turn back shy of a mile from Boundary that day. We saw no one patrolling. Prolly the only Canadian you will see is one who is replacing the salt lick in front of his moose blind. The Canadian side is drier. :=)

Last edited:
You don't need a Passport to cross the border, but to avoid delays at Customs, you should have either a Passport, a Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License (available in most border states), or a NEXUS card. Without those, you should still be able to return with an original copy(embossed) of your Birth Certificate (not a photo copy) and photo ID (driver's license). This is per a recent interview with a U.S. Customs agent.

Key words: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

The bushwack is quite enjoyable and allows for the option of getting White Cap and N Ken (and the 3510 peak) , but...the swath is pretty unbearable in JULY -- think muck, mud, itchy weeds, biting insects the size of helicopters..but hey, that might be just your thing. We opted for this approach our first time around but had to turn back shy of a mile from Boundary that day. We saw no one patrolling. Prolly the only Canadian you will see is one who is replacing the salt lick in front of his moose blind. The Canadian side is drier. :=)

Thanks - although I don't mind the mud bugs the size of helicopters ain't my thing. Will have to load up on the DEET. Congratulations on the official Boston bib number.

You don't need a Passport to cross the border, but to avoid delays at Customs, you should have either a Passport, a Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License (available in most border states), or a NEXUS card. Without those, you should still be able to return with an original copy(embossed) of your Birth Certificate (not a photo copy) and photo ID (driver's license). This is per a recent interview with a U.S. Customs agent.

Key words: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

Thanks - we looked at the WHTI site. Getting over to Canada isn't the problem since she has the necessary documents to go there - its the stepped up requirements on the US side of things that could pose a problem. No Passport Card or Nexxus Card and the MA driver's license isn't one that qualifies as "enhanced". May check in with the Border Patrol before we go over to see if we will be able to get back her expired passport, current driver's license, and official passport - well, that "she" will be able to get back.

If you go to Mohamed's site, you'll find a trip report re: another approach to Boundary. It involves parking at Chain of Ponds (Snow), walking up the road to the gate (it was a rather elemental gate), following the road around the shoulder of Monument, and then up a series of roads/paths to the swath. Much easier than the first time I did as a 'whack from Whitecap. Haven't been back in several years, so can't vouch for the roads/security, etc.

My experience with entering Canada/returning to the US in recent years has been flying, and I believe entry to the US via airlines requires a passport or passport card.

Doesn't that route take you through Big Island camps, which was the old route back in the days when Gene would arrange for one day of access through the private land and bring a group along?

I know someone who drove all the way up an old road to the border near monument 452 and walked the swath from there. That's a long walk on the swath: monument 450 is the 3450' peak, and Boundary is a little before monument 445. I also don't know if there are any implications to leaving your car there at the border.

Last edited:
I was told by a customs agent at the border (Rt 3) that in order to cross over either way, you must have a passport. No exceptions.

C'mon people, use the Google-fu! From the DHS website:

Land/Sea Travel
Beginning June 1, 2009
U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license. See the complete list of WHTI-compliant documents.

Lawful permanent residents may continue to present their Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card.

Canadian citizens will need to present a single document that complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). See www.getyouhome.gov for more information.
US-VISIT biometric procedures may apply to some Canadian citizens. Find out if US-VISIT applies to you.

That's the official response, but if you have your birth certificate and valid driver's license/photo ID, they won't make you stay in Canada, it'll just take a bit longer to clear Customs. I certainly recommend that you obtain one of the approved ID types as listed above.

Last edited:
When we hiked to Boundary Peak several years ago (pre 9/11) we drove all the way to the border gate (via Wiggle brook Road). At the time, having 4 WD, we had no problems though the alders closed in pretty tight.

We hiked to the peak entirely along the boundary itself. We could have hiked back the same way and perhaps diverted to a bushwhack to Whitecap but elected to take a "shortcut" through Canada which saved us consider time and elevation gain. The route back was fairly approximated by the topo map but even then it took a couple thoughtful guesses at junctions of old recovering logging roads, probably used mostly by hunters at the time.

I would not even consider this route today without carrying a passport. The area is patroled far more than is evident and, at least in this neck of the woods, they mean business.

In this day and age there is no reason NOT to get a passport. For anyone hiking in or near the Canada border it opens up route possibilities that would otherwise be "risky", at the very least a risk of considerable inconvenience and possible fines. There are also some good nearby hikes on the Canada side that are inaccessible without a passport.

It can take several weeks to process a passport but it may not be too late for a July trip.

Stan -

Your experience seems similar to my second trip to Boundary, although the alders after the pond were way too thick for me to push thru them with my Tacoma. The locals make it out as far as the pond, and kept open 3 or 4 spaces, if you were careful how you parked. I remember the 'skeeters were fierce walking that last bit of road, before the gate. It wasn't a long walk from the pond to the gate - maybe a mile or so.

I think your advice re: passports is sound, given the current mood of "security theater". Personally, I wouldn't chance that route now without carrying mine, whereas in the past I wasn't much concerned about such things. Walking the boundary swath entrails countless short forays back and forth between the two countries.

Is that route even a possibility now? I seem to recall at least one bridge getting washed out, and don't know if it was replaced.

Kevin,

The bridge over the Kennebago River just off "Canada Road", as the sign called it ... Kennebago River Road per my edition of DeLorme ... was gone for at least a few years. We enjoyed a nice campsite near that bridge in an old gravel pit ... it had a picnic table which, with a few nails was as good as new, a cast iron fireplace ... and I mean a fireplace, not a pit, river water a few feet away, a resident deer, heavy moose traffic and howling coyotes which undoubtedly were wolf hybrids. Last time I went there a few years ago this was all gone ... along with the bridge. A ranger who I had talked with about some campsites elsewhere told me this was an illegal campsite anyway.

The route in was the logging road just before the Kennebago River on Lincoln Pond Road. More recent visitors can tell us if that bridge was rebuilt and I seem to recall reading it was. I think even though much of Stetsontown ... gotta love that name ... has been deeded conservation easements, logging is still allowed and that drives a cyclical restoration of roads and bridges.

FWIW, our route to West Kennebago Divide, a peak added subsequent to our completion of the NE100, was via Bear Brook Road which goes north just west of the Kennebago River off Wiggle Brook Road. It was a route suggested by Audrey.

... so much to explore in this area. Though it is a working industrial forest, it's as wild as anyplace in the northeast.

To answer your question (since I just did Boundary this winter with an expired passport), you do need a passport--but not a current one. My passport expired (I didn't notice it until too late), and I handed it over with a valid current driver's license. That's all.

Okay, I actually did it twice, once in Buffalo going to Toronto, and once at the border coming back through Maine.

There's nothing to worry about. It's really that simple.

Brian