UV Filter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good UV filter? The Tamron lens that I'm considering has a filter size of 67mm. I've been told by others that a UV filter is a must, not only for blocking UV light but more importantly for protecting the front element of the lens. I know there are numerous makes/models out there, but I was hoping that someone here could make a recommendation based on your experience. I'm open to all suggestions you may have. BTW, the lens I'm looking to purchase goes for around $439. (Just in case this is a factor in your recommendation)

Thanks,
- Bill

Last edited:
My recommendation would be a Skylight filter or a Warming filter. In addition to blocking UV these filters will also add a bit of red which will combat the blue light encountered in the mountains. It will yield more natural tones on your companions and will generally improve the overall scene. If your lens extends to a very wide angle, you might want to look for thin filters (such as Hoya or B+W) which can prevent vignetting when you stop the lens down to small apertures.

You will find a wealth of information with some google searches, such as this web page. Some comparative information is here.

UV or skylight filters have been standard equipment on all my lenses for 40 years, right along with sturdy lens shades. Their purpose has been more for protection of the front lens element than for altering the color of the light and increasing contrast.

Recently I’ve been on a “replace obsolescent gear” program, which has included the purchase of top-end zoom lenses that have a 77mm filter thread diameter.

My choice of protective filter in this case has been the Hoya “Pro1 Digital” – clear (untinted), coated glass in a “low profile” frame. Hoya claims these filters are specially suited to digital cameras because they "will not affect the color balance ... in the slightest." The filters (I have several) are of excellent quality, in my experience and opinion, but are not inexpensive.

No doubt other filter manufacturers have similar products.

Each lens in my remaining collection of “prime” lenses is equipped with a UV filter by Tiffen. These have given great service over the years, and saved me much grief.

G.

Grumpy said:
UV or skylight filters have been standard equipment on all my lenses for 40 years, right along with sturdy lens shades. Their purpose has been more for protection of the front lens element than for altering the color of the light and increasing contrast.

Recently I’ve been on a “replace obsolescent gear” program, which has included the purchase of top-end zoom lenses that have a 77mm filter thread diameter.

My choice of protective filter in this case has been the Hoya “Pro1 Digital” – clear (untinted), coated glass in a “low profile” frame. Hoya claims these filters are specially suited to digital cameras because they "will not affect the color balance ... in the slightest." The filters (I have several) are of excellent quality, in my experience and opinion, but are not inexpensive.

No doubt other filter manufacturers have similar products.

Each lens in my remaining collection of “prime” lenses is equipped with a UV filter by Tiffen. These have given great service over the years, and saved me much grief.

G.

Thanks for the informative response Grumpy. It looks the like Hoya "Pro1 Digital" filter goes for around $50 at B&H. I noticed that it claims to be a "multi-coated" filter, whereas many of the $20-$30 UV filters I've been looking at don't. Do you think it's worth paying the extra money for the "Pro1 Digital" type filter versus one of the more basic UV filters that go for $20-$30? Other than protecting the lens, my other big concern would be how it may impact the light and ultimately the image. Do you leave the filter on all the time for protection? I'd much rather pay $50 to replace a scratched UV filter versus $400 to replace my lens. I'm assuming that this is the lens you're talking about?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391167-REG/Hoya_XD67PROTEC_67mm_Clear_Pro_1.html

- Bill

Last edited:
BillK -

The filter you’re looking at through B&H is of the type I wrote about, above.

The “multi-coating” on filters is like the coating on lens surfaces. Coatings do help improve light transmission and reduce light flare. I have had no noticeable flare problems with the Hoya filters mentioned earlier.

In fact, I get noticeably more flare with the Tiffen 82mm UV filter mounted on my 300mm f/4 lens, which does not have multi-coating. Uncoated filters cost less. One day I’ll spring for an upgrade.

So the answer to your question as to whether I think the extra cost of a multi-coated filter is worth it, is a qualified “yes.”

On the more definite “yes” side, if you have a fine lens that exhibits little proclivity to flare,a multi-coated filter is very much worth considering. If you do an appreciable amount of shooting in light conditions that induce flare (shooting into the light, esp.), the “yes” becomes considerably stronger.

Going In the other direction, multi-coated filters won’t further degrade the performance of a flare-prone lens as much as their uncoated counterparts, but they won’t improve its performance, either. And, if you don’t shoot many pictures in flare-prone situations the coating becomes somewhat less important as well.

Yes, I do leave a filter on each of my lenses all the time. I think they are a good investment in protection for the front elements of my lenses.

You didn’t ask, but same goes for lens shades. (All of my shades have dings in them, indicating how much abuse they absorb for the lens itself.) I rarely use lens caps to cover and protect the front elements, but almost always use rear lens caps on dismounted lenses – the latter has become even more important than ever with the need to protect all those electrical contacts on the lens mount.

To clean the filters, I use a common cotton bandana (sounds barbaric, I know) to wipe away water spots, fingerprints and dust while on the go. When more thorough cleaning is in order I use a little lens cleaning fluid (alcohol) and lens tissue. It is very seldom necessary to touch any of my glass lens surfaces for cleaning.

G.

Thanks again Grumpy for all the information. BTW, I've decided to go with the
following lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html

The Hoya filter mentions the following:
Note: Pro 1 Digital filters are ultra thin but have a front thread

Should there be any issues with using this filter on that particular Canon lens? The only reason I ask is because I was reading a forum where someone had commented about a UV filter being too close to the lens element on that particular canon lens, but I got the impression that he wasn't correct based on other responses. I just want to make sure.

Thanks again for your help.

- Bill

I'm a "Nikon Guy" and not very familiar with Canon gear, so I can't comment from knowledge about filter compatibility with that particular Canon lens.

Assuming the filter mount is set up so it moves in and out with the front element of the lens as focus and zoom settings are manipulated, the issue would be a front lens element that bulges significantly enough to prevent a filter from being mounted. You definitely do not want the filter to come into contact with the lens surface. I note that one of B&H's recommended accessories for the lens is a Hoya "thin mount" polarizing filter, which implies to to me that the Hoya Pro 1 Digital filter would be OK, too.

FWIW, one of the lenses I have fitted with the Hoya Pro 1 Digital clear filter is a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S zoom. The front element on that lens bulges noticeably. There is no problem using the filter on that lens, however.

G.

BillK said:
Thanks again Grumpy for all the information. BTW, I've decided to go with the
following lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html

The Hoya filter mentions the following:
Note: Pro 1 Digital filters are ultra thin but have a front thread

Should there be any issues with using this filter on that particular Canon lens? The only reason I ask is because I was reading a forum where someone had commented about a UV filter being too close to the lens element on that particular canon lens, but I got the impression that he wasn't correct based on other responses. I just want to make sure.

Thanks again for your help.

- Bill

Bill, you've gotten great advise so far, and I agree with the thin mounts and the multi coating. As far as thin ounts on canon lenses, I imagine it was with an ultra wide, with a bowed front element where you might encounter problems. Otherwise, you should be fine.