UV protection wax for plastic kayaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
What do you plastic kayak owners use as a UV protectant on your boats?

Any particular recomended brands?

WBB: Hmm, I guess that is good, I use 303 to protect my VCP hatch covers which are rubber, but didn't know it also is used for plastics. My Impex is fiberglass so I don't use 303 for the boat itself.

Jay

Thanks. I'll pick up some this weekend at the marine supply. It sounds great but I have never seen anything like this before.

I waxed my kayak last weekend, should I wait till it wears off in a couple weeks, or can I apply 303 over it?

Is this stuff a wax, an oil, a silicon or more like paint? Slippery finish or tacky?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new to marine products.

I would wait until the wax wears off. Then clean the boat as you normally would. Then it is a matter of spraying on the 303 letting it sit for a short while then wiping off the excess with a clean rag.

This is from Frontenac Outfitters web site:

"Wash your canoe thoroughly after each use. We use an environmentally friendly household dish detergent, non-abrasive kitchen-cleaning pad and a soft cloth Acetone is great for getting rid of tough marks like pine gum; it can be picked up in your local automotive department. If you cannot find Acetone try using nail polish remover as most contain some Acetone. A UV inhibitor such as UV Tech or 303 Protectant will help protect Royalex, plastic and gel-coat finishes from fading. Think of 303 as “sunscreen” for your canoe. Apply 303 Protectant 2 to 4 times per season or as required. Frontenac Outfitters stocks 303 Protectant . Though not as effective, Armorall also works.
Frontenac Outfitters does NOT recommend waxing your boats hull. Although waxing will do no harm, it actually decreases hull speed and it interferes with 303’s UV protection."

303 does help make the boat a bit "slippery" (but no where as bad as Amorall)
Sometimes I put it on if I want a little help when paddling (on the boat not myself) but it probably doesn't add that much extra glide.

You want to be mighty carefull if you ever find yourself thinking of using any acetone, that stuff can leave your boat finish permantly dulled.
I have used it to remove some contact cement but only on the inside of the boat where it wouldn't be seen.

And of course if you want to use the boat for a tobaggan in the winter a little wax or a bit 303 will get you slip sliding away....

Last edited:
I had not use Acetone either. I have however used denatured alcohol to remove pine sap with good results. I have used 303 on gelcoat as well as plastic canoes/kayaks with good results.

Thanks this has been most helpful. I'll pick it up this weekend.

I kayak in salt water, I hose my kayak off right on the car after each trip. I wouldn't know if my kayak gets any faster with or without wax. I just want to keep the plastic from getting brittle n fading any faster than it already has. I'm in the open sun all day long and that can't be very good for it.

Thanks again.