Valley Way tentsite closed 8/8/10 to 8/12/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
From WMNF: "The Valley Way Tentsite, located on the north slope of Mount Madison, will be closed to all use from late morning Sunday August 8 through midday Thursday August 12. During this time Americorps crew members from the NH Conservation Corps will assist the US Forest Service with site repairs. The existing wooden tent platforms will be removed and native soil tent pads will be constructed in the footprints where the platforms now stand."

Interesting. Native soil tent pads. At that elevation and the general topography of the site, I find that surprising. Possibly a way to make the site less inviting for campers? I've always preferred a platform for the drainage, and shelf-like characteristics for cooking, sitting, etc. Of course, no more worries about trash under a platform.

Interesting. Native soil tent pads. At that elevation and the general topography of the site, I find that surprising. Possibly a way to make the site less inviting for campers?
Or perhaps the current platforms need repair and it is cheaper to change to soil tent pads than fix/replace/maintain the wooden pads.

Doug