Vanderwhacker Mt (NY 3k) 8-15-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Black Spruce, Bookah and I set out on a warm morning and made good time to the observer's cabin. Then it was up, up, up the remaining distance to the top.
No hurry, but we were on the clock because of the ever warming day. Good short hike with the hot forecast and our objective was to reach the tower before it heated/hazed up the views and to pick as many variations of mushrooms as we could find and then try to identify them with Christine's mushroom guides on the summit rocks. We found 15 or 17 varieties, including a rogues gallery of the deadly amanita family. Although bugs were fairly scarce, the nice breeze on the tower was a welcome respite from the building heat.
I knew there would be a nice view on the summit but we were both unprepared for the scope and scale of the views. From Snowy and Sewards we could see the Santanonis, Wallface, MacNau, Macs, Lost Pond, Street-Nye, North River Mtns, Cheney, Allen, Redfield, Dixes, Great Range and everything in between. Even with the bit of haze it was a spectacular view, one of the most all encompassing I've enjoyed in a while. And did I mention the refreshing breeze?
After greeting some hikes from the town where I live, it was time to head down and we walked into more and more heat. The air conditioning in the truck was welcome on the long ride back down the access road to 28N.
Besides a perfect hike on a hot day, learned lots about mushrooms and enjoyed the company of a good friend with plans to do some more exploring.
I'll get some photos up after the camera and I cool off.

If Joanne isn't around, I can get that Subaru up there 'easy'.
Actually, there are some rocky spots but if driven slowly, should be no problem. There were other vehicles and cars right back at the trailhead with us, some of them regular sedans.

The road is in much better shape than 7 years ago, only the last 20 yards to the trailhead (after the very last intersection) is really bad but there is a parking area just before. The trail itself has received a lot of attention and is in great shape. We are looking forwards to going back in late September or ealy October as it must be one of the best Fall views in the Park.

We both looked with envy at Bookah at every brook crossing as she never missed a chance to fully lay for a few minutes in the running water... it certainly didn't seem fair!

Absolutly one great view during the fall peak season. Views go on forever. One of the few towers I have climbed to the top because it is in such good shape.

The view from the fire tower is not one I'll forget for a long time and I will probably go back in order to refresh my memory.

To the North of VW there is a long-ish ridge and then to NE of that is a cluster of lesser peaks and ridges. This is a really nifty way to go in and do the peak.

(Sylvie hiked Blueberry in the Dacks the other day and got pictures of at least a dozen different mushrooms. All sorts of shapes, sizes and colors.)

A couple years ago, I banged a Ford Focus only once and that was getting into the parking lot

There was a space outside the lot but it was already taken by a sports car, didn't see anything else good nearby but maybe that's changed