Vapor Barrier Socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff-B

Reaction score
The feedback started on this thread,
Heated insoles - ThermIC, etc... in General Backcountry, and then developed into a Vapor Barrier topic.
I wanted to continue on a new thread if possible.

The info by Dave M. is very helpful, but I would like to know where you can buy a decent pair of VB socks, or what types are best.

I understand I can make some out of plastic, but just curious about brands available.

Strangely, I was thinking counterintuitive by wearing Goretex XCR boots, which release vapor best, maybe that is actually my problem as evaporative cooling is causing cold feet.
I had been thinking that to reduce sweat was critical to keeping warm.

Jeff

Jeff-B said:
...but I would like to know where you can buy a decent pair of VB socks, or what types are best.
I get mine at the Rideau Bakery. They come filled with bread, which must be disposed of first.

The best? Seeded rye. The bags are thicker than your 'wonderbread' bags.

I understand I can make some out of plastic, but just curious about brands available.
I've never started looking, because the bread bags work well, and I have a free supply of them.

Pete_Hickey said:
I get mine at the Rideau Bakery. They come filled with bread, which must be disposed of first.

The best? Seeded rye. The bags are thicker than your 'wonderbread' bags.

I've never started looking, because the bread bags work well, and I have a free supply of them.

OKAY! Enough said.
Keep it cheap ....right? I'm good with that!
But how much does that seeded rye cost? ;)

I decided to give the vapor barrier idea a try. I used a couple of Market Basket bags and they worked great. Now it's on to the trash bags in the sleeping bag setup.

VBL Socks

I had a pair by GoLite that quickly wore out. When I went to buy another pair, I realized that the seams were not sealed, so they were not really complete vapor barriers. I use bags now with great satisfaction.

Jeff-B said:
Strangely, I was thinking counterintuitive by wearing Goretex XCR boots, which release vapor best, maybe that is actually my problem as evaporative cooling is causing cold feet.
Goretex gives some resistance to moisture vapor flow. Thus you will accumulate more perspiration in GTX boots than you would in the same boot without the GTX. (The purpose of the GTX to block external liquid water from getting inside the boot.) The additional moisture will collect in your socks and the interior of the boot and degrade the insulation.

I had been thinking that to reduce sweat was critical to keeping warm.
Non-VBL boots let moisture out which you replace by insensible perspiration*. A VBL allows the humidity next to the skin to become nearly 100% and the insensible persipiration stops. This reduces heat loss due to evaporation and, since the VBL is inside your insulation, it keeps your insulation dry.

* insensible perspiration: your skin needs to stay moist and this moisture will evaporate unless the humidity next to the skin is near 100%. This is distinct from perspiration for coolling.

More info on vapor barriers can be found at http://www.warmlite.com/vb.htm.

Good luck with the VBL socks--let us know how they work out.

Doug

Last edited:
Oh man, and all this time I have been using vegetable bags from the local supermarket. While they work well, they are one use only and very slippery. I have some silnylon footprints I can use to make the socks with, thanks for the idea.

Thanks VB !

I want to say thanks to this thread, I tried plastic bags in my boots and for once my toes didn't freeze when taking breaks on a very long hike. Best new piece of gear for me since hiking poles.

timmus said:
I want to say thanks to this thread, I tried plastic bags in my boots and for once my toes didn't freeze when taking breaks on a very long hike. Best new piece of gear for me since hiking poles.
If you are on a multi-day hike, make sure you take them off overnight and let your feet dry out for 8 or so hours. If your feet stay wet and cool for too long, you can get trenchfoot. One can also get a similar injury if they stay warm and wet for too long.

Doug

Do not do this.

I got a pair of Integral Designs VB sox because I don't like rye bread and also because Pete's bakery is too far from my house. Anyway, instead of following the instructions I put the VB sox on right against my skin. I developped a hot spot on the front of my shin immediately above the ankle joint while hiking 7 hours. The next day the outer layer of skin was gone revealing a very shiny and exquisitely tender area of moist dermis underneath. I taped it up and tied my boot loosely and luckily was still able to hike (sans VBL).

So...wear a light pair of synth sox underneath.

Neil said:
Do not do this.

I got a pair of Integral Designs VB sox because I don't like rye bread and also because Pete's bakery is too far from my house. Anyway, instead of following the instructions I put the VB sox on right against my skin. I developped a hot spot on the front of my shin immediately above the ankle joint while hiking 7 hours. The next day the outer layer of skin was gone revealing a very shiny and exquisitely tender area of moist dermis underneath. I taped it up and tied my boot loosely and luckily was still able to hike (sans VBL).

So...wear a light pair of synth sox underneath.

Too funny!

I know the store is Taboo around here, but you can get Coolmax polyester lightweight socks at Wallyworld pretty cheap, they work great under the VB liner. They're in the sock department and labeled as use for diabetics, just read the label to make sure you get the right ones.