Vapor Barrier socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Wondering what you all use for a vapor barrier sock and where you got them from. It looks like all I can find is the neoprene variety and it looks bulky. Any advice would be appreciated.

Although it's not a problem on dayhikes, if you are using VBL socks on a expedition, you should be very aware of the potential perils of trenchfoot. Note that evacuation by litter is standard!

Trench foot is a process similar to chilblains. It is caused by prolonged exposure of the feet to cool, wet conditions. This can occur at temperatures as high as 60 degrees F if the feet are constantly wet. This can happen with wet feet in winter conditions or wet feet in much warmed conditions (ex. sea kayaking). The mechanism of injury is as follows: wet feet lose heat 25x faster than dry, therefore the body uses vasoconstriction to shut down peripheral circulation in the foot to prevent heat loss. Skin tissue begins to die because of lack of oxygen and nutrients and due to buildup of toxic products. The skin is initially reddened with numbness, tingling pain, and itching then becomes pale and mottled and finally dark purple, gray or blue. The effected tissue generally dies and sluffs off. In severe cases trench foot can involve the toes, heels, or the entire foot. If circulation is impaired for > 6 hours there will be permanent damage to tissue. If circulation is impaired for > 24 hours the victim may lose the entire foot. Trench Foot causes permanent damage to the circulatory system making the person more prone to cold related injuries in that area. A similar phenomenon can occur when hands are kept wet for long periods of time such as kayaking with wet gloves or pogies. The damage to the circulatory system is known as Reynaud's Phenomenon.

Treatment and Prevention of Trench foot

* Includes careful washing and drying of the feet, gentle rewarming and slight elevation. Since the tissue is not frozen as in severe frostbite it is more susceptible to damage by walking on it. Cases of trench foot should not walk out; they should be evacuated by litter. Pain and itching are common complaints. Give Ibuprofen or other pain medication.
* Prevention is the best approach to dealing with trench foot. Keep feet dry by wearing appropriate footwear. Check your feet regularly to see if they are wet. If your feet get wet (through sweating or immersion), stop and dry your feet and put on dry socks. Periodic air drying, elevation, and massage will also help. Change socks at least once a day and do not sleep with wet socks. Be careful of tight socks which can further impair peripheral circulation. Foot powder with aluminum hydroxide can help. High altitude mountaineers will put antiperspirant on their feet for a week before the trip. The active ingredient, aluminum hydroxide will keep your feet from sweating for up to a month and their are no confirmed contraindications for wearing antiperspirant. [Some studies have shown links between aluminum in the body and Alzheimer's.] Vapor barrier socks may increase the possibility of trench foot. When you are active and you are wearing a vapor barrier sock, you must carefully monitor how you sweat. If you are someone who sweats a lot with activity, your foot and polypropylene liner sock may be totally soaked before the body shuts down sweating. Having this liquid water next to the skin is going to lead to increased heat loss. If you don’t sweat much, your body may shut down perspiration at the foot before it gets actually wet. This is when the vapor barrier system is working. You must experiment to determine if vapor barrier systems will work for you.

Last edited:
VBL's...don't leave home without 'em.

I use the Integral Designs. I've found that at Sierra Trading Post and Mountain Gear before. Locally in New Hampshire, you can also get them at All Outdoors in Manch.

you can pick them up at the mountaineer in keene valley for around $20-$30. they are in the footwear section in a barrel in the corner, or they use to be.

I have an older pair of Log house Designs VBL Socks that are very nice.

Log House Designs (603) 694-3373.

I just called them (they are in Chatham, NH) and they have VBL Socks for $5.95 a pair. I also once had a bivy sack from them, and it was qaulity made, as were the socks. They don;t have a website, but I beleive they have a catalogue and they are a small local business.

Log House Designs (603) 694-3373.

Last edited:
I've been very pleased with the increase in warmth & comfort from wearing Sealskinz. I wear 'em over my socks, inside "regular" boots (Vasque Clarions) and they've always kept my feet warm & dry in the snow. They breathe though, so they don't really qualify as VBLs.