VHF + Waterproof/Submersible Radio

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

Reaction score
S. Dartmouth MA, Seekonk MA Avatar: Kauai
I'm looking for a good handheld radio for kayaking, just in case I need to be rescued if something goes wrong. :) Dan and I have been doing a lot of open ocean kayaking, and I think it would be really good to have!

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Does anyone know if you can get a dual GPS/Radio that is small enough to strap on the front of a kayak?

I was going to post this in Paddle Park, but I thought I might get more input by posting this in this forum.

Thanks!

carm

If you're looking for a paddling related radio, you need a Marine VHF radio, one that can be used when contacting the coast guard and/or other boards on Channel 16, etc. They will be waterproof by default (or at least they should be) and I've read up on some good deals on a paddling forum. I'll dig up that info and edit my post here.

Not sure if they make GPS/Radio/Cell Phone/Weatherband/TV/Internet/Cell Phone/Camera/stove/Filter units yet but wait, Apple will come out with one soon.

Oh I forget, it'll be an EPIRB and PLB too...yeah! :D

Jay

Last edited:
Carmel said:
I'm looking for a good handheld radio for kayaking, just in case I need to be rescued if something goes wrong. :) Dan and I have been doing a lot of open ocean kayaking, and I think it would be really good to have!
What band radio? Marine, ham, cb, etc? (I think I would choose marine band for salt water boating.)

I only follow ham radios (and not very carefully): the Kenwood TH-F6A 144/220/432 MHz handheld is rated for light rain. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Dealers/Us1/flyers/TH-F6A.pdf Other similar radios may have similar waterproofness ratings.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Does anyone know if you can get a dual GPS/Radio that is small enough to strap on the front of a kayak?
The only dual GPS/radio that I am aware of is the Garmin Rino series: an FRS radio combined with a GPS.

Many modern cellphones are effectively a dual GPS/radio. I don't know if the GPSes can operate without a cell connection (many use a data assist from a nearby cell tower), don't know about cell coverage at sea, don't know how waterproof they are, and don't know if any have decent GPS displays. (The primary use of the GPS is to send the phone's location back to the cellphone system.)

Many GPSes (including Garmin outdoor units) are rated for 1 meter submersion for 30 minutes. I have read in GPS newsgroups of some people attaching these to the deck and their surviving splashing and shallow immersion. (BTW, the Garmin 76 series is designed to float.)

However, you are talking about salt water. The salt water will chew up any exposed electrical connections (they often have rubber covers that don't inspire much confidence). I'd use a waterproof plastic box for the GPS and there are plastic dry bags designed to hold a radio. And I'd be careful about cleaning the salt water off the electronics ASAP.

Doug

Last edited:
For ocean kayaking,you want a handheld VHF,it will come with a fast connect button for emergency (ch16) and WX(weather channels 1&3 are the best for coastal MA)
You should get one that can clip to the rectangular receptacles on most PFD's. You want the radio attached to you,rather than the boat,in case you get dumped. I have a Standard Horizon that's been great for 6 years of sailing and kayaking,but there are lot's of good ones to chose from.
You can also use VHF like a 2 way radio,if you go over to one of the general use channnels. Usual channels are 68 thru 72. Just set both to the same channel. Haven't seen one with GPS yet.West Marine

bikehikeskifish said:
The undisputed leader of VHF radios is ICOM. You cannot go wrong purchasing a unit from them. Of course, they are not the cheapest units available, but you will find it quite difficult to break one.

(my experience comes from 20 years of hardcore recreational/semi-commercial marine fishing.)

Start here: http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/default.asp

Tim

Nice, thanks for the link. The IC-M34 has a weatherband, IPX7, floats and can be found for under $200 it seems. Good to know.

Jay

Our local harbormaster's office used to go through several handheld radios each season, and eventually switched to the fairly inexpensive Standard Horizon HX270S.

These things were purchased to be practically disposable at the price, but it turns out they take quite the beating and still work well.

While a little pricier, I've been using the HX471S and love it. Marine VHF & FRS with AM/FM/Weather/Aero. This can also be connected to a GPS to transmit a DSC distress call with your location.

The HX471S at much less than I paid.

Keep in mind there may be better prices than above... I only did a quick search.

KayakDan said:
You should get one that can clip to the rectangular receptacles on most PFD's. You want the radio attached to you,rather than the boat,in case you get dumped.

Most important advice so far. it is important that the radio be carried on you and not on the boat. Chances are the time you will need it most is when you have become seperated from your boat.

I have read other forums in the past when I thought baout buying a marine band radio (that is what you want). It seems like ICOM is more reliable than Standard Horizon. Each has their own following, but SH seem to be preferred by boaters while kayakers seem to prefer ICOM.

West Marine has the ICOM M72 for $199. It is submersible to 1.5m for 30 min (IPX8), is 6W, and the battery lasts 15-16 hours.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/248062/377%20710/0/VHF/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=VHF&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=VHF&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=3&subdeptNum=64&classNum=542

West Marine has the ICOM M34 for $169. It is submersible to 1m for 30 min (IPX7), is 5W, the battery last 9 hours, and the kicker is that it floats.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/268548/377%20710/0/VHF/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=VHF&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=VHF&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=3&subdeptNum=64&classNum=542

There is a West Marine down Coddington just before the rotary.

I've done RF modeling and there isn't much range difference between a 5W and a 6W hand held Tx. It is only a 0.8 dB increase from 5W to 6W. Rule of thumb is increase Tx power 6 dB to double range (free space), so 0.8 dB is nothing.

So it comes down to battery life, float / sink, and how it feels in your hand operationally. I'm guessing for you, float is good. :p

For now, you will have to buy a seperate GPS unit. In the mean time, my deck compass is in the shed...you should be using it. Remember to check bearings and get a feel for the local area prior to the fog racing in on you.

I'm psyched there will be a new marine band radio in the shed when I go home. :D

- darren