Wanted: Overlook Mountain interpreters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
There are openings for the position of "Fire Tower Interpreter" at Overlook Mountain near Woodstock NY in the Catskills. Details and contacts (email and phone), can be read in this Albany Times Union article. I would jump at this myself, but I work weekends. Brief synopsis:
"Each interpreter will be responsible for relating the area's history on three weekend days during the hiking season, which runs from June 2 to Oct. 8. A training session on the mountain is scheduled for May."​
Also if you have additional questions: Tom Rankin has served at this tower and at the one on Balsam Lake Mountain. Dawn, Hikethe115, has also served as an Overlook steward, however, she is currently hiking the AT.

One of the fringe benefits is that you will have access to the keys for the tower cabin and the ranger's cabin. So you can open these up for evening and week day hikes. Overnight stays are also possibilities.

The short trail to Overlook is one of the easier hikes in the Catskills: about 2.5 miles (one way) and 1400' elevation gain on an old carriage road. The views of the Catskills and Hudson Valley are exceptional.

While I highly recommend this endeavor, I have only been officially a volunteer at BLM. It's pretty cool waking up at 5:30 AM and being 30 seconds from a tower from which you can watch the sun rise! :D