Wanting Good Easter Sunrise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekMan

Reaction score
Suffield, CT Avatar: Highland Ctr after Presis
We are going to be staying in North Conway this weekend and want a good place to go Sunday for sunrise pics. Should be do-able within about 1 hour of the 6:00 a.m. time spot. Maybe a short drive, then a short walk to vantage point? Any great ideas to share?
-Thanks ... TrekMan

Looks possible

Amicus - looked at the topo map and it looks do-able. Is the top open enough to get good pics? I can call the B&B to see if the road is open at this time. Looks like maybe a 10-minute drive to trailhead - staying on Kearsarge Road.
Thanks ... TrekMan

Sunrise from Black Cap

I concurr-

did Black Cap in the fall, and its incredible views for a small effort

Well worthy of bringing a camera

Peter

Doublehead...

I think north Doublehead would do nicely, there is a very nice overlook to the east behind the cabin. But yes, black cap is good as well!

TrekMan said:
Is the top open enough to get good pics? I can call the B&B to see if the road is open at this time. Looks like maybe a 10-minute drive to trailhead - staying on Kearsarge Road.
Thanks ... TrekMan

Black Cap is a big flat bunch of rocks that collectively give you a 360 degree view. Since it's a hike of no more than a mile from the parking lot at the height of land, it's very popular on summer weekends when it's nice. If the road is open on Easter morning, you had a great idea. For the sunrise, continue past the obvious summit rocks , E. towards Maine. A compass is all you'll need.

Black Cap and Doublehead would both be nice.

I don't think Hurricane Mtn. Road will be open, but it should be mostly bare pavement with some sections of hardpack/ice. If it is open be very careful driving. I consider it the most dangerous road I've ever driven.

Another option is Cathedral Ledge. You could walk the road to the summit, 20 or 30 minutes? This is one of the first roads to open in spring, but I don't think it will be open by Easter. From the top, your horizon wouldn't be as low, but close. It's a nice area up there with some large flat ledges where you could sit and watch the sunrise.

Thanks to all !!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. We are considering also that we will have to do this with headlamps, Cathedral Ledge road is familiar (rode my bicycle up it several times) and there is little rough ground to cover. This may be our best choice. We want to be in place by about 0600.
Thanks again .... TrekMan :D and FiddleHead :p

Black Cap has always been a favorite for sunsets for me, to get the sunrise, you will need to do a bit of bushwhacking as I recall, and Hurricane Mountain Road is not open yet, which adds a good hour to the journey.
Cathedral Ledge is a great choice also, and you can continue on to Whitehorse and then down and around back to the base road, a nice hike that I do after work. (Cathedral Ledge Path, White horse Ledge Trail, Bryce Link, road walk back to car at bottom of road.) Or you could park near Echo lake too... Bryce Path up is a bit steep.
Just be careful up there on the ledges in low light and icy conditions, it is a popular place for more than hiking, sad but true. :(

Thanks all ... Cathedral Ledge won!

Thanks to all who suggested various hikes. Hurricane Mountain Rd was closed, so we chose another direction. Cathedral Ledge sounded and looked good when we scoped it out on Saturday, so we headed up just after 5:30 and got a couple of pics to share of the Easter Morning sunrise.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Trekman27/EasterAtCathedralLedge

Thanks again .... TrekMan & Fiddlehead