Wanting snowshoeing recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekMan

Reaction score
Suffield, CT Avatar: Highland Ctr after Presis
Hi,

We are headed up to North Conway area Easter weekend and snowshoeing is our choice as my wife's knee is still hurtin' from Flume last year on the FOT48. We have use the shoes and her knee is doing well, but I am thinking that bigtime uphill will not be good. Maybe lower part of Tuckerman Ravine Trail, maybe Diana's Baths at North Moat area, other suggestions?

Views would be nice, but quiet woods are cool too. Maybe Lincoln Woods? Lonesome Lake trail? Anyone with experience at Bear Notch Touring Ctr (we have been for X-C skiing)?

Thanks for any assists ..... TrekMan

A couple of my favorites that don't involve too much climbing:

From the PVC take the Old Jackson Road to Lowe's Bald Spot

The Great Gulf Trail to the Bluff

Oliverian Brook from the Kanc

Mt. Hedgehog from the Kanc. Mt. Potash is another hike of similar difficulty from the same parking area, but the stream crossing towards the beginning might be tough this time of the year. Both have a little more climbing than above but can be done easily in a half day.

These trails are all in the WMG and described in more detail the in Steve Smith's excellent book, "Snowshoe Hikes in the White Mountains".
http://www.mountainwanderer.com/winter_sports.html#Snowshoeing%20How-To

Have fun!

All good ideas, with the exception of Dianna's Bath. This is exactly like a walk to Sabbaday Falls. It's a very short walk with tons of people, but it is a nice after-dinner stroll through huge pines.

more suggestions:

-the summit road to Cathedral Ledge
-Mt Willard
-Bear Notch Road from Kancamagus side to overlooks. Depending on weather, this may be abandoned by snowmobiles by Easter. It is plowed this year, but only for the first 3/4 of a mile, so don't be fooled by the clear pavement beyond the gate.

Happy Trails :)