Water crossing on Liberty Springs Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
The WMG mentions 'crossing a fairly large brook' while ascending the Liberty Springs Trail just past the Flume Slide Trail junction. Does anyone recollect how wide and deep this brook crossing is? The brook seems to be run-off from the Franconia Ridge but I can't tell from the map whether it can be rock-hopped or if we'll have to de-boot and wade across. I'll be on the trail in mid June. Thanks.

The brook in question occurs immediately prior to the trail beginning its steep-pitch ascent of Liberty; I think it's about a half mile past the intersection with the Flume Slide Trail.

The brook -- Cascade Brook, I think its name is -- eventually feeds into "The Pool," not too far from the Flume Visitor Center.

I've never found it to be a big deal to cross, and the water typically hasn't been very deep -- there are plenty of rocks to hop on/use and just upstream there are other, narrower areas with plenty of logs/debris to step on, if need be.

I have over 50 ascents of Liberty and I have never been turned back from the brook crossing, at worst you go upstream and in a very short distance you can cross at some point.

Nothing to it.
Crossed it 5/13, no problem at all, never remember it being an issue either.
Have fun!

One more question regarding the Liberty Springs Trail: it seems to intersect both the Recreational Trail as well as the Pemi Trail. Since I'll be parking at the lot by the Lafayette Campground, does it matter which trail I use to hike south to the Liberty Springs Trail? Thanks.

Take your pick ... Recreational trail (aka bike path) is wide, paved, easy, maybe boring. Pemi trail is a real hiking trail.

If I recall correctly, the last bit of the Pemi Trail has some brook crossings substantially larger than the brook in the base note.