water shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KMartman said:
I know Chacos are huge with the river rafting set...my buddies been guiding tours for Mad River in WY for the past 5 or more summers...they all swear by them...I find the crocs to be pretty sure footed myself and LIGHT...
I have 2 pr of Chacos. If they fit your feet (they have significant arch support), they are very nice, but are a bit heavy. Haven't tried hiking in them (yet?), but I have heard of some who do...

Tried on some Crocs--their sizes go in very large steps. I was mid-way between two sizes and was unable to get a decent fit. (The salesman said that I wasn't the only one...)

Doug

DougPaul said:
Tried on some Crocs--their sizes go in very large steps. I was mid-way between two sizes and was unable to get a decent fit. (The salesman said that I wasn't the only one...)

Doug

I have found this too, but even slightly "big" if you use the strap behind the heel they WILL stay on...plus they are VERY confortable..if im not at work...im in my crocs...

M

I absolutely LOVE my Chacos (except the are smelly cause I wear em so much :eek: ).

A common problem I found with Tevas was that when they were totally wet, my feet would slip out the front of them if I was going downhill (think sandals strapped around your ankles). Soooo annoying! You can get Chacos with the big toe loop, which prevents that. It feels wierd at first, but you'll get used to it. Because the straps are low profile and sit snugly on the foot, they seem to dry a little faster. And if that isn't enough, I had mine resoled this spring for $35 and had them back in about 10 days (from Colorado). They are a tad on the heavy side- but as mentioned, have really good support. I have hiked in them many times.

I would think though if your going to so far as to carry something just for river corssings, you'd want more foot coverage so you don't stub toes and stuff. But, multi purpose- go with Chacos!

Pete Hickey is right on about removing socks and liners- that's the way to go if you don't want to carry anything extra and want to keep your feet as dry as possible.

Although, I'm starting to like hiking with wet feet. I might just start dousing my boots anyway. :D

I do some streams barefoot. If I'm not sure about the stream bottom, I carry the cheap ($8) sandals, and clip them on the outside of the pack to drip dry after each use.

Most of my trail runners end up being "mesh" (read "shredded") after a couple years anyway, so I could probably use a pair of those too...

On some approaches (like Walker Brook in the adks) you know you're only going to get wet at the beginning and the end. Wear the sandals and take a towel, cache those in the woods on the other side, and use them again on the way out.

TCD

I have been playing with silnylon making just about anything and everything out of the stuff. I had the same problem but instead of having to change my shoes on n off at every crossing I made what I like to call puddle jumpers. I got the idea form these... http://trailquest.net/dlgcgwsocks.html

They are nothing more than long stuff bags made of silnylon, sealed the seams with household GE silicone sealant. They are very light weight. I just slip em on over my boots, right up to my knees held in place by a bungie in the top seam just like waterproof bags, except this is a bit tougher.

I try to rock hop as much as I can so I don't ruin my puddle jumpers, I like to treat them with care since this stuff isn't very thick. I've been using em for 2 years now and only resealed them recently.

paul ron said:
I have been playing with silnylon making just about anything and everything out of the stuff. I had the same problem but instead of having to change my shoes on n off at every crossing I made what I like to call puddle jumpers. I got the idea form these... http://trailquest.net/dlgcgwsocks.html

They are nothing more than long stuff bags made of silnylon, sealed the seams with household GE silicone sealant. They are very light weight. I just slip em on over my boots, right up to my knees held in place by a bungie in the top seam just like waterproof bags, except this is a bit tougher.

I try to rock hop as much as I can so I don't ruin my puddle jumpers, I like to treat them with care since this stuff isn't very thick. I've been using em for 2 years now and only resealed them recently.

It's hard to believe that they weren't slippery on mossy rocks. I tried on a pair of Salomon Amphibians today but didn't buy them because I wasn't sure if they were sticky enough on the soles like the Keen claim they are. Any feedback on these.

My puddle jumpers aren't slippery at all. I smeared a thin layer of silicone on teh bottom inside n out so the shoes don't slip around and it gives them a better purchase on rocks. Moss is slippery no matter what you are wearing unless of course you are using the felt bottomed fisherman waders.

Getting water in my boots ends my trip because the foam insulation of the insides gets soaked and become funky by the end of the day. I also hate having prune toes regardless of the socks you use becuase of the increased humidity in the shoes and besides, it actually hurts the second day of sloshing around in wet boots. I'd rather take my chances having dry feet.

Chacos, Chacos, Chacos.

They work perfectly as water crossing footwear, and for donning around the camp at night. I've only hiked in them for short distances (up to about 3-4 miles), but they worked fine for that as well. They will hold up for years (unlike my Tevas), always fit great, have great soles, and Maytag-like customer support.

>any feedback on [Salomon Amphibians]?

I've got a pair, I wear them all the time in the summer (when I'm not barefoot or stuck wearing a tie). Better grip on wet rock than any hiking boots I've had; light, comfortable, well-ventilated, quick-drying. I wear these as my regular hiking shoes and just charge through any streams without pausing.

If I'm going multi-day or I know it's going to be over the boots, I'll bring Teva's, (they double as slippers also with fleece socks :D )

If I'm on the way out with a mile or two to go I just walk on through, occasionally like on Memorial day the brook is four or five miles away & I'm passed caring, but my callouses are well formed so I don't worry much about blisters from wet feet anymore.

Remix said:
I got a pair of Salomon Amphibians on clearance. They are basically a mesh sneaker resembling running shoes. The laces are all nylon, and the lace ends are joined in a plastic drawstring-style friction thing. Other than the securing the lace ends by friction instead of a knot, there is nothing remarkable about them.
Same here, got them for $28 on clearance at EMS this spring. Mostly bought them for beach trips and hiking but I wore them all day Sunday (because it was so hot) and I found them quite comfortable. They may actually make it into the general summer shoe rotation. Not the lightest, but about the same as my knock-off Tevas from Wally World. I like the soles better, they lace up securely, and your toes are protected so you could actually hike in them between successive stream crossings.

How do the Chacos compare to a Teva in weight and drying time?

I switched from Tevas to Crocs to shave a little weight. More importantly, the Crocs dry faster. I hated the wet straps on Teva. Wet feet in camp annoy me. Now, I'm finding the Crocs aren't as stable crossing in rushing water and loose gravel and small stones get trapped in the toe.

I might be willing to shell out the big bucks for Chacos if all those straps dry quickly.

Periwinkle said:
How do the Chacos compare to a Teva in weight and drying time?

I switched from Tevas to Crocs to shave a little weight. More importantly, the Crocs dry faster. I hated the wet straps on Teva. Wet feet in camp annoy me. Now, I'm finding the Crocs aren't as stable crossing in rushing water and loose gravel and small stones get trapped in the toe.

I might be willing to shell out the big bucks for Chacos if all those straps dry quickly.
Chacos are 1 lb 6 oz for women's size 8. The straps are polyester and fairly thin so they should dry out fairly quickly. http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...41&parent_category_rn=4501265&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Doug