Waternomee B-18 site 7/6/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I had time for a short hike on the Sunday of Independence Day weekend, and decided that this was a good time to pay my respects at the B-18 crash site on the east side of Mt. Waternomee. The first section of this hike is on the Walker Brook Rd., which is gated. Greg, Joe, and I parked there, and headed up the roughly 1.5 mile road, to a clearing, where we headed west up the herd path to the site where the B-18 crashed, heading back from an anti U-Boat mission off the coast in the winter of 1942. Here is a good site for information on the mission, crash, and rescue. Make sure to check out the photo link at the bottom. This site has changed significantly in the last 66 years. The trail up is steep, and the heat and humidity slowed us down, but we made it to the site, at about 2700', in a bit over two hours from when we started. Considering the time of the year, and the location of the crash, and also seeing the condition of the wreckage, I cannot believe anyone survived this crash. Big kudos to the group of people who risked their own lives, going up to that mountain, to try and rescue any unlikely survivors. Especially considering some initially thought the explosions they heard were from an enemy attack! We were pretty quiet, as we wandered the area, read the plaque, and paid or respects to the two people who lost their lives that night.

photos are here

This is what a B-18 looks like intact.

Last edited:
Jason,
What a great Independence day hike!
It's amazing to see the pictures of the bomber.
Was the flag already present or did you place it there?
WSC

Dedication

I mention this all the time because I'm proud of what my dad did. Here goes again in a much abridged version. He survived a B-24 mid-air collision, flying out of the same base as the B-18, Westover in Chicopee, Ma. He bailed out in a silk parachute which saved his life.

Not every hero was on the battlefield. Not every hero was overseas. Many protected us here on the home-front, and many died without ever completing their training.

It is with a debt of gratitude we should remember these heroes. Truly "The Greatest Generation".

KDT