Waternomee Falls, 5/18/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
The spur path to Waternomee Falls, on the unmaintained western half of the Carr Mountain Trail is easier to follow than guidebooks and TRs led me to believe. There is a sign at the trail junction and the path is light, but obvious. A helpful tip that fellow hikers shared with us today is that the trail crosses a stream with a cascade just shy of halfway to the falls, so don't be fooled into thinking that these are the Waternomee. Cross this stream and continue on.

Waternomee Falls

Attachments

• 10380032_10203405042222158_7056204403167973751_o.jpg
    10380032_10203405042222158_7056204403167973751_o.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
I'm a little confused. I thought THIS was Waternomee Falls:
If you're hiking up the back side of Mt. Waternomee, as if going to the crash site, and you divert off of the trail and go down into the gully, you come here:
575500_10152769442210276_737744763_n.jpg

If this isn't Waternomee Falls... then what is it?

They both could be. There are a bunch of duplicated names. I hope if you did the 48 that you climbed the correct Owl's Head. :)

They both could be. There are a bunch of duplicated names. I hope if you did the 48 that you climbed the correct Owl's Head. :)

The biggest namesake challenge in the 48 isn't finding the right Owl's Head... its finding the correct Adams.
So many instances of "Yay I'm there!... oh wait, no I'm not"

The biggest namesake challenge in the 48 isn't finding the right Owl's Head... its finding the correct Adams.
So many instances of "Yay I'm there!... oh wait, no I'm not"

Haha - I can see that being annoying! It's much more obvious coming from the south along the gulf side, but of course that means you're probably doing a much bigger day!

What the name of the brook it is on?

You'd think it'd be that easy.
Walker Brook drains Mt Waternomee, and empties into Moosilauke Brook.
So one could infer that these are the Walker Brook Cascades?

Nope. Those cascades are on a different Walker Brook... the one off of Falling Waters.
So what have we learned thus far?
1) Waternomee Falls is not on Mt Waternomee... its on Carr Mountain
2) Walker Brook drains Mt Waternomee, but those aren't the Walker Brook cascades (different Walker Brook, different mountain)

On other threads that erroneously name the cascades I showed as "Waternomee" or "Walker Brook" falls... one referred to it as "Airmen Falls".
A google search turns up one response:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoman82/9117414208/

But you know, this area was settled by the English. I don't really give them any credit at all for creativity. "We left from Plymouth, and landed here. We'll just call this new place 'Plymouth' as well".

The only important Waternomee Falls is the one off of Carr Mt. Trail, for those redliners!! By the way, for 48 finishers, make sure it's not on Mt. Cabot in Shelburne, but Mt. Cabot in the York Pond area...

Last edited:
The only important Waternomee Falls is the one off of Carr Mt. Trail, for those redliners!! By the way, for 48 finishers, make sure it's not on Mt. Cabot in Shelburne, but Mt. Cabot in the York Pond area...

And don't stop at the site of the old fire tower!

2-IMG_0510.jpg 1-IMG_0509.jpg

I think I'm more confused on which falls is Waternomee Falls after reading this thread!!! Here are a couple images of the falls near the trail up to the Bomber site that someone mentioned may be Airmen's Falls.