Waterproof map paper for topo mapping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucknuts61

Reaction score
I just purchased some of the National Geographic waterproof map paper and wanted to share my experience with everyone. I couldn't find a previous link so I apologize if a review was done previously.
There are currently 3 brands out there, 2 for ink jet printers (1 of which I used) and 1 for laser jet printers.
I tested the NG brand by purchasing a package of 25 sheets of 8x10 for $20. There is also an 11x14 (10 sheets for the same 20 bucks).
I used it with an Epson C66 ink jet printer using the second best level (photo and text). and I used it with my upgraded Garmin 3.0 topo software.
First was the tear test. They call this stuff paper, but actually it's more of a plastic. It doesn't tear, it stretches, but doesn't return to original shape. This is not a dig against it, just informational. Most other "paper" maps would have torn to shreds.
Next, I printed 2 maps. 1 was a simple 2 color zone map, the second was the same map only in multi-color and with a GPS route to follow (just to get another color too). After printing, I immediately tried smudging the ink with a tissue and with my fingers. No smudging.
Next, I folded the map and made multiple creases to see what happens at various stress points in the folds. No problems here either, no tears or stretch marks. We'd still have to see if this holds true after a lot of field use,
but so far so good.
My final test was to put the maps into a container of water fully submerged for 24 hours.
When I finally took them out, I tried the smudge test again. Very and I mean very minimal smudging and nothing that distorted the map features. Just a little residual ink on the tissue and only with the "green". I was very impressed with this because now it means I don't need to keep my maps in a ziploc.

I give the NG waterproof map paper some very high marks (let's go 9 out of 10), the only downfalls are 1. The price, currently a buck a sheet, but still cheaper than 10 bucks for a map and 2. limited size. currently 8x10 or 11x17. However, this really isn't a downfall as most personal printers can't handle anything larger than these sizes anyway.
In the end, it's a great way to be able to use your topo software to print out some very usable maps. This point alone is a key concept, reading the maps while it's raining without worrying about ruining them. Brilliant! ;)
Good luck to all and I hope this helps,
Bill

You can buy the paper at most places that sell, maps and mapping software. I picked up three packages at EMS on clearance for $5 each but even at full price it’s a good deal since the maps are almost indestructible. I accidentally put one through the washing machine without incident. It also takes a ballpoint pen very well. I often copy map sections from the Map Adventures map, which has contours in meters, and write in the elevations in feet for the trail junctions. The ink won't smudge.

The ink is also a factor--different companies use different inks and a company may supply a variety of ink types for its line of printers.

There are also coatings that can be applied to regular paper to waterproof it.

I just take the cheap and easy way out and put the pre-folded map (or printed map section) in a ziplock bag. Also protects the map from the wind.

Doug

Hi VFTTop'r, I purchased mine at REI, but I know EMS has it too. You can also find the other brands on-line for the same price but you have to pay shipping (plus I get my 10% dividend by purchasing at REI)

And yes, Dougpaul is correct about the ink. This is why I included the printer I used and the level I set it at.

I'm sure that you can use the inkjet paper in a laserjet, but I was trying to be consistent in testing this stuff to make sure I used the manufacturers specifications.
Bill

NO on Laserjet use!

Sorry-

The waterproof paper is somehow plastic-based, and is a no go (just look at the package) for the heat of laserjet printers. There is I believe though a separate laserjet version, but since most of us cannot afford a color laser printer (yet) and the inkjet does perform so well.

btw my true love is sea kayaking; I do adjacent map area on the back side, to get the best use of the cost of this paper. Alternately I print on plain paper and have my local Staples store laminate it for $. 99. Rarely ever does the lamination leak.

Peter
Plymouth, MA

I find it cheaper to just laminate and roll up the maps I make with NG topo.
They sell self-sealing laminating pouches and such at Staples. Once they are laminated, you can also then mark them up with narrow point markers or grease pencils for map and compass work.

Or maybe a ziploc bag is an alternative if you are not going to put lines on them.

Wow

Pucknuts-
consumer Reports should be as thorough as you are when they test stuff! :p
Sounds like a great way to go...I am a little sick of always photocopying my AMC maps and fitting them into a small ziploc...
How do these products work in black inkk only mode? Just wondering...does eveything go to greyscale or do things drop out of the image?

I print maps from Topo! onto the NG Adventure paper (made of teslin) using a cheapo ink jet printer. I also usually fold them so the area of most interest is presented and slide it into a clear ziploc bag.

I'll carry this in addition to the AMC map which is also ziploced and stashed away as a backup.

I've had the maps out in torrential rain and dense fog and at most the ink seems to bleed through to the opposite side from that printed on, and that usually from the thick line I print for the route, not the general details. Most times it's readable through the ziploc and doesn;t need to be exposed to the elements.

Remember also it's not just rain that can ruin a map. I took one trip last summer and decided I wouldn't need the ziploc. After getting good and sweaty the AMC (paper) map was trashed but the adventure paper printed one was still good. A little damp and more pliable, but still readable.

As an aside, I often print a condensed version of the WMG trail description highlights on the reverse side of the map. Things like "0.5 miles - stream crossing" "1.4 miles - good viewpoint 40 yrds on left" plus altitudes for reference points. Lots of info quickly to hand.

Bob

Iv'e been using NG adventure paper for 3 years and I have to agree it works great. I have an HP injet and have never had any problem with smuging even after soaking in water. I usually print on both sides of the paper if needed and have no problems. One year the EMS in my area didn't carry the paper so I ordered it on the net from National Geographic. :D