Waumbeck via Starr King 2/5/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Very thin dust covered crust down low, lots of intermittent ice flows throughout the hike, primarily on the section after leaving the logging road, these could be easily skirted if needed. A few smaller ones higher up on the traverse would be more difficult to go around on the narrow sections. All were very slick due to the dusting of powder. 2"+ of powder on the ridge over very hard crusty snow. No chance of post holing even off trail. Shoes stayed in the car.

Special equipment: I carried cramp-ons and they would not have been overkill in areas, but my fairly new spikes worked fine car to car. Some evidence of an aborted bare boot attempt, or someone just out for a walk in the woods. One obvious unintended butt slide down a large ice flow tells me they turned around.

Comments: Drove to the trailhead not fully expecting to hike with a weather forecast of doom and gloom above 3000’ (50-60mph winds, -45+ wind chills, clouds rolling in, etc.) Turned out to be a perfect bluebird day. 10º f when I left the car, 21º f when I returned 4 hours later. Almost no wind to speak of. Amazing views of the Presidents from both Starr King (which appears to have been manually cleared?) and the open area past Waumbek summit.