What do you carry for emergencies?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed before but since Backpackers latest issue is all about survival I was curious to actually see what others put in their emergency or survival kits. Plus I REALLY like lists. What item(s) wouldn't you be without? Would you be willing to take a picture and post it?

Here's mine: (I've never tried adding attachments so hopefully this works.)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/mantowajim/0001-2.jpg

Small straw water filter, signal mirror, small light with hat attachment, whistle, enough extra cash to make a call or buy a meal (not that I've ever forgotten my wallet or anything), large trash bag, small fishing kit (I use this for fun), 20' of cord, tweezers, h2o tablets, waterproof paper and pencil, bug head net, knife sharpener, Spyderco Native knife, micro multi tool with pliers, small .3 first aid kit from Adventure medical, compass, heatsheet space blanket, waterproof matches, sparker, lighter, fire starters gallon plastic bag for water. Missing from picture are small amount of duct tape and small sewing kit. It all fits in that little yellow bag.

The whole thing weighs just an ounce over a pound on my postal scale. I know it's not lightweight but I ALWAYS carry it with me and it's small enough to not get left behind, even on a short jaunt away from a base camp.

Care to add your list?

Just a cell phone. What more is needed? :D

Seriously, it depends on the weather, hike, who I'm with, etc. Example, in the winter I always carry my puff-jacket which will suffice as a sleeping bag. I also have a small tarp for the winter.

Summer, I may just bring a sweater and a rain jacket besides the items listed below.

If I'm considered the "leader", I may bring along some extras for others, but often I go with an experienced partner and we each just fend for ourselves.

Other than that, the staples are a 1st aid kit with some bandages, antiseptic wipes, mirror, matches, and some serious painkillers; hat; gloves; 1/3 piece of ridgerest (can be used as a seat or a splint); headlamp; multi-tool; whistle; compass; I also scatter lighters in various places.

THE LIST:

compass
turbo whistle (can be heard above storms/high winds)
head lamp with extra bulb and batteries
water proof matches
water purification tablets
energy bars and/or gorp
large dog cookies and water dish for dogs
first aid kit
map of area
adventure bivy sac (soon to be exchanged for the blizzard survival bag)
my knee brace
25 feet of small gauge climbing rope
cell phone to be used only in matters of life and death.
some form of ID
space blanket that can be used to sit on or as a tarp
extra large dog boot in case of paw injury
multi-tool

WINTER ADD
-go lite down sleeping bag-it's very lite and stuffs nicely
-down jacket with hood
-gortex outerwear which I would most likely be wearing
-1 pair extra smart wool socks (in case feet get soaked)
-hand warmers
-hat with ties
-heavy mittens which are attached to me
-crampons or studs (depending on terrain)
-ice ax and shovel (depending on where I am going)
-stainless steel thermos with warm jello, hot chocolate, or soup
(in case of hypothermia)

SUMMER ADD
precip rain jacket

I put all the smaller items in baggies and the larger items are in trash bags of various sizes.

Last edited:
In addition to your list, I carry a few benadryl caplets and some pain killers (generic advil), probably included in your first aid kit. A spare set of batteries for one of my headlamps.