what do you wear for pants?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wool is the original soft shell fabric...

Doug

Yes and wool is still effective for sure. My first winter season's ( early 80's) I wore wool knickers, I liked them because they did not interfere with my gaitors and plastics boots. Although I remember one warm winter day, I soloed Passaconaway from the kanc, being warm I did not wear my long underware. I lost the trail up high and bushwacked to the summit. On my descent the wool rubbed my thighs raw and it every step out was shear pain.:eek:

On my descent the wool rubbed my thighs raw and it every step out was shear pain.:eek:
I started with a pair of (Woolrich?) wool pants with a rough surface (inside and outside) which would be consistent with your experience, but I "outgrew" them long ago. I now use military surplus (uniform?) pants that have a smooth surface, inside and outside. The smooth outside collects less snow and the smooth inside is comfortable against my skin.

I was just XC skiing with them yesterday with my knees and the upper part of my lower legs exposed to the wool and had no noticeable abrasion.

Doug

I started with a pair of (Woolrich?) wool pants with a rough surface (inside and outside) which would be consistent with your experience, but I "outgrew" them long ago. I now use military surplus (uniform?) pants that have a smooth surface, inside and outside. The smooth outside collects less snow and the smooth inside is comfortable against my skin.

I was just XC skiing with them yesterday with my knees and the upper part of my lower legs exposed to the wool and had no noticeable abrasion.

Doug

Interesting, Im still going soft shell, but those surplus pants might be nice for other stuff, are they commen in army surplus shops? I sometimes stop by the one entering North conway. What do they run pricewise?

Interesting, Im still going soft shell, but those surplus pants might be nice for other stuff, are they commen in army surplus shops? I sometimes stop by the one entering North conway. What do they run pricewise?
I'm not sure how difficult they are to get--I bought mine (and a spare :) )
a number of years ago at a surplus store in NJ. I think they are Army or Marine uniform--the label says:
Trousers, Men's, Wool, Serge,
Green, Type II, Class 6
DSA 100-69-C-0416
100% Wool
X-Long
(size)
8045-082-2780
Tennessee Overall, Co., Inc.

The legs were long so I had to hem them to fit. There was also enough material in the back seam to let them out.

So the fabric type is wool serge and the thickness is .021 inches (as measured by my micrometer, for comparison Levi 505 jeans are .032 inches).

I hope the above is some help, but I guess that you will just have to look and/or call around to see what you can find.

FWIW, these have been my standard winter mountaineering pants for 20 years or so and are still in good shape.

Doug

I'm not sure how difficult they are to get--I bought mine (and a spare :) )
a number of years ago at a surplus store in NJ. I think they are Army or Marine uniform--the label says:
Trousers, Men's, Wool, Serge,
Green, Type II, Class 6
DSA 100-69-C-0416
100% Wool
X-Long
(size)
8045-082-2780
Tennessee Overall, Co., Inc.

The legs were long so I had to hem them to fit. There was also enough material in the back seam to let them out.

So the fabric type is wool serge and the thickness is .021 inches (as measured by my micrometer, for comparison Levi 505 jeans are .032 inches).

I hope the above is some help, but I guess that you will just have to look and/or call around to see what you can find.

FWIW, these have been my standard winter mountaineering pants for 20 years or so and are still in good shape.

Doug

Yes doug that helps, Ill stop by the surplus store and check them out. You also got me thinking later when you mentioned "woolrich". I had a ragwool sweater made by them, one of first winter clothing purchases, man that was one bomber sweater. When I first started winter hiking I would layer 2 sweaters, then my woolrich over them, heck it worked for me and I think my system was similar to Mallorys when I think about it.;)

Yes doug that helps, Ill stop by the surplus store and check them out. You also got me thinking later when you mentioned "woolrich". I had a ragwool sweater made by them, one of first winter clothing purchases, man that was one bomber sweater. When I first started winter hiking I would layer 2 sweaters, then my woolrich over them, heck it worked for me and I think my system was similar to Mallorys when I think about it.;)
I also have a Woolrich shirt which I used for a number of years. (Now sitting in my wool bin with mothballs.) It was replaced by a fleece jacket.

Doug

Dickies!

I use the 60/40 blend Dickies year round. I know it breaks the no cotton rule but sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. The poly makes them just about indestructable (great for bushwhacking) and it seems like the cotton acts like a wick to bring the moisture (liquid sweat) from exertion to the exterior of the fabric where it can dry. They breath as well as anything (better than gortex which allows water vapor through, not liquid sweat) except perhaps wool and dry very quickly. Snow does not stick to them and they are very inexpensive to purchase. I use them summer and winter for extended trips. My winter set up is as follows. Medium or light weight synthetic long underwear depending on prevailing temps. 60/40 Dickies with cargo pockets. I bring a loose fitting pair of goretex rain pants and a snug fitting pair of fleece that can fit over my dickies yet under the rain pants if need be, the fleece is generally for emergency use should I become disabled or stuck out longer than planned or for around camp at night. I've used most of the other suggestions and after 35 years off winter multiday trips, the above is what I stick with now. These pants do not perfom like typical cotton pants (blue jeans or the like) that are dangerous to use because of the vastly increased potential for hypothermia. They have the best combination of breathability, wicking, drying and durability, in my opinion, than anything else out there at a fraction of the cost. Just my 2 cents.....all right....2 dollars.

This time of year I usually hike in mid-weight capilene long Jon bottoms and camp or water-proof breathable pants, modified with suspenders.

Lounging about heavy weight capilene bottoms with fleece pants..

Works for me

Jerry

Patagonia soft shell for me...

I use the Guide ones for spring and fall hiking and for general loungeware..ok..some folks hang around in jammies..i use these
they have plenty of pockets

cold weather I use the Alpine Guide pants...with or without tights..
these have a belt for support..could use one more pocket

for the cold exposure days I use Backcountry Guide pants..these are for sure heavier..built in gaiters and suspenders..could use one more pocket

for tights i use Mountain Hardware windstopper ..very thin and light..just warm enough for all but the coldest days when

the x cwx tights..the ones with the panels on them..come out...very warm

This system and combination of layers has worked well for me for several winters..used to use Mountain Hardware softshell/conduit but could not get the wear out of them when replacing an old pair. They just dont make them like they used too

I wear EMS convertible pants with a Mountain Hardwear (somewhat heavy) zip over for cold weather and sometimes I wear cotton Carharts because I like to break rules.

pants

I went with the Patagonia guide pants, heck 99% of my clothes is patagonia. After a few field test these pants rock, man I wish I bought them years ago, sorry ladies Im off tights now.:eek:

Above 35F for a daytime high and I wear just suplex nylon
About 20F to 35F, I wear Mammut Champ pand over thin nylon underwear.
About -10F to 20F, I wear Mammut Champ pants over med wt polypro.
Below -10 for a daytime high and I wimp out and stay home and drink hot chocolate....actually I add a thin hard shell (Precip) over the mammut champ pants over med poly pro.