What gear do you plan to add this year?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeper

Reaction score
Now that we know what your oldest piece of equipment you have is. What new gear are you going to buy/have you bought this year. What gear are you going to replace?

I'm looking at lowering the wieght of my boots. Lower the height, lose the leather and go to lightweight material.

I'm hoping I can afford these new toys before the weather warms up...

~ lightweight down sleeping bag for backpacking (0-20 degrees)
~ water filter (still don't own one)
~ Jet Boil cooking system
~ gaiters
~ lightweight thermarest

A low profile winter pack....My Kelty Redwing is comfortable and carries my snowshoes quite well, but it sticks out from my back and sides too much....

Sneaker like trail runners...light weight ones....

A knee brace....an extra light weight one.....

A headlamp that holds the batteries and bulb in the same fixture.....

A new commitment to get out more often....priceless!

...Jade

The altimeter feature of my Casio watch died. It was the closest thing to high-tech that I've ever carried. I'll replace it, if I can find something reasonably cheap. Any recommendations?

I'd also like to find a decent, accurate thermometer.

I'm ready to give vapor barrier liner socks a try too. First I need to borrow a pair from someone to find out just how nasty they feel.

I'm looking to get a Black Diamond Spot headlamp. I was amazed by how bright it is for an LED.

Bob, I use bread bags for VBL socks. I prefer wheat. My feet tend to sweat profusely but are surprisingly comfortable with the bags over a poly liner sock.

New lightweight footwear for the warmer months. Gotta use that REI dividend and 20% off coupon! :D

Not sure if I will go with mid or low height. So many factors to consider.... :confused:. Guess it will be another game time decision.

I just picked up a new tent yesterday. I did not need it since I do not do as much camping as I did in the past and I have one that I have never used!! I think I like tents.

A new filter would be nice.

This seems like the year of gear for me....

Just picked up a factory "A" Eureka Spitfire UL (Silnylon version) for at the Eureka Tent Outlet Center. Also picked up a Ti pot at Cabella's Gear cave (returns, closeouts..)

Picked up a new MSR Pocket Rocket as well as a like new MSR Missing Link.
then finally a couple of $39 REI UL Packs.

My only problem is now I am back up to 6 (7?) tents and 8 backpacks again. :)

My next purchase will be a tiny little bulb that screws into a hiking pole and runs off a tiny lithium battery like the ones watches use. it will give off daylight quality light and will warm the immediate area to room temperature even at neg 30. When concentrated, the beam will melt snow, boil water etc. A dial will allow you to change the wavelength and it may then be used as a communication device, gps receiver, internet hook-up etc. On laser pointer mode it will direct a highly visible beam towards any UTM grid co-ordinate you input for easy navigation through the wilderness.
If anyone knows where I can get a hold of one of these units please let me know.

I'm looking into making a new packbag for my framepack for overnights when I bring my climbing equipment. The old one is getting a little beat, and I need the carrying power of the frame for a 60m rope and gear.

Neil said:
My next purchase will be a tiny little bulb that screws into a hiking pole and runs off a tiny lithium battery like the ones watches use. it will give off daylight quality light and will warm the immediate area to room temperature even at neg 30. When concentrated, the beam will melt snow, boil water etc. A dial will allow you to change the wavelength and it may then be used as a communication device, gps receiver, internet hook-up etc. On laser pointer mode it will direct a highly visible beam towards any UTM grid co-ordinate you input for easy navigation through the wilderness.
If anyone knows where I can get a hold of one of these units please let me know.

And,of course it has to sell for under $100.....and oh yeah,it has to have a lifetime warranty!

OK,...we're waiting....

Neil said:
I could get you one of those tomorrow, but of course then I'd have to kill you. You don't expect the (U.S.) government to give away all its nifty gadgets (like it did with GPS) do you? :D

We've actually reached saturation point for hiking gear. Bought new MH Ventigaitors for both of use recently(on sale at Bob Smiths closeout). Went to REI the other night for new Tevas' for Mrs KD,and didn't see anything jump out at me,except maybe that cool BD ice axe.It can wait.
Right now were focused on outfitting the sailboat. It makes backpacking seem like a bargain!
BOAT-Break Out Another Thousand! :eek:

Bob Kittredge said:
The altimeter feature of my Casio watch died. It was the closest thing to high-tech that I've ever carried. I'll replace it, if I can find something reasonably cheap. Any recommendations?

I'd also like to find a decent, accurate thermometer.

I'm ready to give vapor barrier liner socks a try too. First I need to borrow a pair from someone to find out just how nasty they feel.

Bob keep us posted on the altimeter search...I am also in the market for one.

Western Mountaineering HighLite sleeping bag. Trying to lighten up in the warmer months.

Backpacking Gear
=============
MSR Dromedary Bag and Hose
Camelback for Colden (is 3 years old too young for his own Camelback?)

Alpinism
=============
4 ice screws
4 snow pickets
1 Ice hammer

Climbing
=============
1 Set (0.5-9) Trango New Flex Cams
6 JC/Doval Alpine Quickdraws
6 Petzl Keylock Ovals
3 BD Positron Screwgates
1 #5 ABC huego (since I lost mine last year)
1 Sportiva Focus ($39.98 at Mgear!)
1 set Metulious Curves
1 Metulious sling

Yeah, I get to sell my titanium MTB so I can buy a rack :( I loved that thing, but its time to move on!

For those of you looking to lighten your pack, I would consider getting a lighter and smaller pack! I have a Marmot Vapor 35 for my 3-season and I love it:
http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/CMP/KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/200995/N/0

Previously, I had a gregory G-Pack, but a bunch of the straps broke on it, and overall, it was not very durable. The Marmot is very durable, and much more comfortable. Best purchase last year, by far.

-percious

Not much on my list, as I've about reached saturation for hiking gear as well.

First up though are some new soles for my Chacos!

I've been thinking about getting more into rock climbing. It's about time for my own helmet and maybe... maybe... a rope. We'll see.

Maybe some gaitors that breathe :eek: